Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I'm considering buying only has 6 weeks of manufacturer's warranty remaining. I have been using the VW online quote system to get an estimate of what it will be to take out an annual policy as I don't fancy having a GTE without a warranty. As my car is still within warranty I can't get a price for the actual car but if I put in other similar cars that are just over 3 years I can get an indication.
So for a GTE with about 30,000 miles and 3 year old its £163 with a £250 excess or £223 with no excess - this would seem to me to be an absolute bargain given that a new DSG box would be around £10K a headlight unit £1K etc.
If I go onto Warranty Wise its £428 pa with a £250 excess.
Bizarrely if I investigate Passat TDI quotes they are much more expensive. Same age and milage TDI warranty are £434 form VW and £493 from Warranty Wise.
Anyone any idea why a much more expensive and complex car has a much cheaper warranty and why the manufacturers one is so much cheaper than a 3rd party one?

·
Registered
116 Posts
As you comment it is an anomaly and quoting from relevant offer "Based on a customer driving a Volkswagen with less than 60,000 miles and an engine size of 1.4L or below, choosing Named Component Cover with an excess of £250, to cover them for driving less than 10,000 miles, within 30 days of their existing warranty expiring. Subject to eligibility criteria." You have done your "homework" upon this issue but I wonder how many VW dealers selling Das WeltAuto with its own warranty terms make known it's availability if applicable. Probably the numbers of eligible vehicles are quite small as majority being leased and service dates missed by time have been auctioned, then being too late for new buyer to take out extended warranty anyway.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
As you comment it is an anomaly and quoting from relevant offer "Based on a customer driving a Volkswagen with less than 60,000 miles and an engine size of 1.4L or below, choosing Named Component Cover with an excess of £250, to cover them for driving less than 10,000 miles, within 30 days of their existing warranty expiring. Subject to eligibility criteria." You have done your "homework" upon this issue but I wonder how many VW dealers selling Das WeltAuto with its own warranty terms make known it's availability if applicable. Probably the numbers of eligible vehicles are quite small as majority being leased and service dates missed by time have been auctioned, then being too late for new buyer to take out extended warranty anyway.
Even with the “All Components” cover, which is more extensive level, remember NOT all items will be covered !.
There will be exclusions, there always is !.
You never know how good your cover is, until you come to make a claim.
I had the top level of cover on my previous GTE.
I never had call to claim against so can not comment !.
All the control modules are covered, which are very expensive items to replace.
If you intend to take out the extended warranty, remember your service history at a main dealer is an absolute MUST !.
Both work hand in hand.
If you intended to service the car yourself, don’t bother taking the extended warranty.
It will be worthless I.M.H.O.

·
Registered
415 Posts
These quotations are extremely basic. It’s usually a rate for petrol/diesel with an engine size and mileage tier. Under 30k Miles and small petrol engine will likely qualify for the cheapest possible cost. 29.9k Miles is likely cheaper than 30k as well. At some point, likely 50k or 60k Miles, it shoots up in price.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I can see its a flat rate for all 1.4 petrol up to 60K and then steps up, similarly a flat rate for diesel (more than petrol/GTE) then steps up above 60K. I'm just amazed that they are classifying a Hybrid GTE as a 1.4 petrol car for warranty risks. It seems to be too good to be true so I'm thinking can't be. That said I'm pleasantly surprised about the charging cost. Here in Scotland most counties charging points are free to use after purchasing a £20 vehicle charging card. Used one today and after a little issue with a blank display it dispensed its electrons into my car. When is all this euphoria going to end??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, and there is a public charing point 5mins walk from the house thats hardly ever used that is free :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,226 Posts
I found an extended warrant on the Ampera (I wanted it to cover all the non HV bits) which was likewise very cheap, after all it was a Vauxhall with a bog standard normally aspirated 1.4L engine .... what could possibly be expensive to fix on such a car?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Our experience with VW extended warranty. Our Passat tdi extended warranty was £334 per year.
We bought a just under 3 year old loaded Passat sport tdi dsg estate with 2 year used car warranty. When it ran out we bought the extended for year six at £334, all singing and dancing, full component, zero excess, 10k mileage.
That year a wheel speed sensor went, replaced under warranty.
Last year, year seven, another speed sensor, plus the blue dash light for main beam went. They had to replace the whole dash readout. Total for both items, around £1k.
Again completely covered by warranty.
We found it to be very worthwhile, and I would definitely recommend getting it.
Replacing parts on cars these days is bloody expensive!!!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,226 Posts
Not knocking the warranty cover but car repairs like that just shouldn't cost that much, it is bad design in the first place.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK here is more to the discussion. I have taken out a one year extended warranty on my Passat GTE now on 29,000 miles and it cost £188. I am both delighted and amazed as there is so many very expensive components covered all of which need to keep working. I'm considering getting an e golf in addition as we really like the electric driving experience and have a Fiesta that needs to be replaced with something newer. If I plug in a 3 year old e golf with 11,000 miles the warranty price is wait for it.... £399 pounds. So how can such a simple car with so few moving parts (it doesn't even have a gearbox or an engine) cost twice as much in warranty as a car that has more things to wrong than a Saturn 5 rocket!!
Roughly speaking its 10 times more complicated done twice as many miles and costs half as much for its warranty - something is not right here. Should I not be looking a gift horse....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts