Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over on one of the German forums, a number of folk say they have been contacted and the fix involves removing the battery and re-bonding the case halves together. Anyone had a call?

I have translated this section below with Google

Housing high voltage battery
I have just received a call from VW, that the housing of the battery unit must be checked.

Reason: Possible faulty bonding of the housing halves. There is a risk of water ingress.

Link to the original post here

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Some Golf GTE owners in the UK have already been contacted about this recall.
Some have checked out okay, some have required new casings, but a couple have received new HV batteries also as the concequence of water ingress into the battery cells !.
I have a early July 2015 model but as of yet have NOT been contacted by VW.
I guess the e.Golf must be affected also ????.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Carty, that is interesting about the GTE. An old thread on the e-Golf forum from 2015 seems to be about the same issue, strange it has just come up on the e-up now? Battery Recall?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More on this story, sounds like it's car built before April 2017.

Another news story here

Quote,

The reason for the recall is a potentially leaking adhesive seam in the housing of the high-voltage battery, said a VW spokesperson and added that this had not been known to cause accidents. A warning signal appears on display in case moisture has penetrated the powerpack.

Codenamed 93E2, the recall includes resealing the seam with a protective wax layer. But this involves the removal of the battery so that VW e-Up drivers may have to wait at least a day to get their electric car back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Booked my car in for a service and asked about this recall. They said there computer isn't showing any recalls!!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Booked my car in for a service and asked about this recall. They said there computer isn't showing any recalls!!!!
I wonder if it rolls out slowly Europe wide starting in Germany. They will need, at the very least to translate some instructions and information for dealers so perhaps they wait for feedback from the home market before doing that. Also if parts are needed they may not have enough for every market all at the same time. Although in this case that isn’t likely an issue as it just sounds like they are applying some type of sealer.

I’m sure if it was a safety recall for seatbelts or something they would move more quickly but this sounds more preventative.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard from my local dealer that he thinks it may only be a handful of "EV" dealers nationally who will be able to do this repair. Dropping the battery requires special training and equipment. If we all get letters i'm sure they will let us know.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have heard from my local dealer that he thinks it may only be a handful of "EV" dealers nationally who will be able to do this repair. Dropping the battery requires special training and equipment. If we all get letters i'm sure they will let us know.
I have also heard that VW will be “Picking & Choosing” which dealership is allotted the work to do !.
I fear this could involve some distance travelling for some unlucky owners !.
I expect they will try and centralise the trained staff and tools required to a large dealership, if the battery is removed and then found that some of the cells have been affected by water, then it may become a bit of a wait !.
My GTE is an early June 2015 model, but I have not received any contact from VW yet reference the recall ???.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts