Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought everyone might be interested in this email just sent out by VW Germany (have run it through Google Translate)

1st will be 2 seconds faster 0-100kmh than standard apparently

1st Plus (the one we're getting in the UK) listed as <€46k before grants

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
Go to see they are slowly dripping out more info. I suspect a few on here will be disappointed to see both the heat pump and safety equipment aren't on the 1st Plus destined for UK.

I still think that VW UK will keep below £40K before PICG even if that makes little profit. They have presented the ID3 as the "people's Electric car" and if it attracted "luxury car tax" they could get negative press coverage.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I needs to be more like £30-35k after PICG to hit the sweet spot in my opinion, if it comes in at more than £35k it might be a hard sell for some.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I suspect a few on here will be disappointed to see both the heat pump and safety equipment aren't on the 1st Plus destined for UK.
The killer for me:

Equipment highlights beyond the plus version:
  • 20 "light-alloy wheels" Sanya “ (not too fussed with these as they protrude from the tyres living NO rim protection at all)
  • Cockpit infotainment incl. Augmented reality head-up display (This was the biggest deal breaker for me)
  • panoramic roof (not really fussed with the panoramic roof)
  • Premium sound system "Beats"
  • Driver assistant "Travel Assist", lane assist "Lane Assist", lane change assistant "Side Assist", "Emergency Assist” (what the hell are VW thinking with these being only on the top trim level that we cannot order?)
  • Comfort seats with adjustable lumbar support incl. Massage function (another big deal breaker for me)
  • Heat pump for range optimization (should be std IMO, I don’t spend £30K + on a car let alone £40K to drive around in a thick coat and gloves!)
  • Telephone interface "Comfort" with inductive charging function
  • special interior design in Dusty Gray Dark / Glossy Black

·
Registered
73 Posts
The killer for me:
<SNIP>
  • Heat pump for range optimization (should be std IMO, I don’t spend £30K + on a car let alone £40K to drive around in a thick coat and gloves!)
While I agree, I don't understand what you mean. Why the coat and gloves?

·
Registered
417 Posts
If it going to be the same as other manufacturers without a heat pump the heating is usually fairly poor (adequate at best) and hits the range quite bad.

I want my EV to be better than my current car, not a huge compromise meaning I have to drive at a maximum of 60 mph or turn the heating down to below 21° so I am not killing the range (unlikely in a 250+ mile EV though).

·
Registered
350 Posts
An EV without a heat pump? Really! The ZOE has always had one and it's a relatively (for an EV) inexpensive car. It 'only' needs the air con to run 'in reverse'. Probably as cheap to have every car doing it as to offer the option. What are VW thinking of?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
It'll be a whisker under £40K but the UK equipment list will mean the average Jo Bloggs will order an extra pushing it over 40k.
Same the Golfmk8 GTE.

Money-grabbers ---- but then they are in the game to make money not offer us mega cheapo deals.
These first cars will not be the cheap model, that was a head line clickbait and they'll stall offering it for as long as possible. I would if I were their accountants.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is it a known fact that the UK 1st spec will be the same as the German spec?
In Ireland the specification highlights that was circulated in September is as follows:

This list suggests that even the base spec has things like active safety systems and heat pump (if I read it rightly).
So it would be worthwhile double-checking the proposed UK spec.

·
Premium Member
10,030 Posts
An EV without a heat pump? Really! The ZOE has always had one and it's a relatively (for an EV) inexpensive car. It 'only' needs the air con to run 'in reverse'. Probably as cheap to have every car doing it as to offer the option. What are VW thinking of?
The additional cost of a reversable system is significant which is why some manufacturers only fit in cold countries, offer on higher spec (eg Leaf), as a cost option (eg eGolf) or don't offer at all (eg Tesla). Air source heat is more complex and IIRC, requires a higher compression and larger heat exchange vs. a traditional car aircon system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts