Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys hoping someone could help me out with this I bought a second hand 2016 vw golf gte, done about 70k mileage. The charge was empty when I bought it so I got home today placed it on charge using 3 pin socket at home and usually its quoted that it takes 3 hours 45 mins to charge. However my car battery charged to full in 2 hours and 45 mims now thats nothing to complain about but the issue was when i turned the car on the battery that was fully charged but range displayed was 21 MILES. Is that normal ? I was expecting it to say 31 miles or at least 28.29 or 30 because thats what its meant to say yes I know we never get that put I expected the display to at least say 28,29,30 or 31 not 21 and the fact it charged in 2 hours 45 mins seems to quick with it being bog standard 3 pin in the wall socket at home. I am thinking going to VW asking them or the dealers i got it from but was hoping one of you guys had anything similar ?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,472 Posts
What’s the predicted range with the HVAC system switched off?

With ventilation fans on, it will show a lower range than with fans and AC switched off.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,906 Posts
Plus, drive it and then inform us of the real miles you get out the battery.
per above be aware having the climate on eats in to it, so you may have to do it apollo 13 style.
But that will only be for 30-40 minutes....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi guys hoping someone could help me out with this I bought a second hand 2016 vw golf gte, done about 70k mileage. The charge was empty when I bought it so I got home today placed it on charge using 3 pin socket at home and usually its quoted that it takes 3 hours 45 mins to charge. However my car battery charged to full in 2 hours and 45 mims now thats nothing to complain about but the issue was when i turned the car on the battery that was fully charged but range displayed was 21 MILES. Is that normal ? I was expecting it to say 31 miles or at least 28.29 or 30 because thats what its meant to say yes I know we never get that put I expected the display to at least say 28,29,30 or 31 not 21 and the fact it charged in 2 hours 45 mins seems to quick with it being bog standard 3 pin in the wall socket at home. I am thinking going to VW asking them or the dealers i got it from but was hoping one of you guys had anything similar ?
What’s the predicted range with the HVAC system switched off?

With ventilation fans on, it will show a lower range than with fans and AC switched off.
okay cool il test it today and find out im new to ev driving but thanks for advice

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plus, drive it and then inform us of the real miles you get out the battery.
per above be aware having the climate on eats in to it, so you may have to do it apollo 13 style.
But that will only be for 30-40 minutes....
yeah il test it today and see how it goes thanks for the help :D

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The best electric range I have seen on the GOM on my GTE is 29 miles in the summer.

Current temperatures here are around 10 degC and it is showing 24 miles fully charged.

Down around freezing point I would be expecting 21 - 22 miles indicated when fully charged.

Bear in mind the Guess O Meter got its name for a reason - the actual electric range I get is always less than the GOM, but then it is a GTE :)

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
You could check what the “Upper Charge” limit the car is set too in the head unit.
E.G. - Has the car been set only to charge to an upper limit of 80% for example ?.
I doubt it, but worth checking.
Remember, the reported predicted range on the GOM will be reduced if you have anything like the HVAC / Heated Mirrors or Heated Seats ( If you have them ).
The actual range covered by the car in EV mode today, will give you some idea if the range you are receiving if about right.
The prediction on the GOM is also affected by the ambient temperature also.
You will quickly come to understand there are a lot of factors that goes into the car reporting the predicted range after a charge.
Receiving a predicted range of 32 miles on the GOM after a proper FULL charge at this time of year and of that age / mileage car, is not very likely to be totally honest.
We have all been down this long road of learning, when we first move over to full or part EV driving.
Over time you will learn how best to use the amount of EV range you have at your deposal.
Don’t worry, you have probably picked one of the best cars to put your toe into the EV water, when it comes to taking the first step into EV driving.
GTE - Then a full BEV for your next car is the very natural route.
Like many other owners of the GTE don’t get to hung up on what the GOM reports as your predicted range.
Carry out your checks regarding is you have correctly fully charged the car, make sure you have none of the mentioned things turned on when you boot up the car etc.
Do an actual range test, then when you are satisfied that all is working as it should do, then just charge the car and enjoy it for what it is.
Don’t go chasing that 32 miles in the GOM because you are not likely to see it very often, if at all.
This debate has been covered at great length on this forum, I am just giving you the very condensed version.
Check first, then accept and move on enjoying the car.
You do have the luxury of a back up engine at the end of the day !.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,871 Posts
21 miles sounds normal. Learn to ignore the figure, and your life will be happier.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
For whatever it's worth, my GTE only takes 3 hrs to charge on a 10A, 3 pin circuit.

It's 2.3kW charging, so over 3 hours that's 6.9kWh. The nominal usable capacity of the battery is ca 7.6kWh, but some 20% of that is reserved for hybrid mode, so that says maybe 6.1kWh usable. Seems to be about right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys thanks for all your advice, so went out today in and around town etc did between 20mph-50 mph all on eletric got about 17 out of the car on pure eletric that was with no ac on or heated seats etc although had to turn them on for a few seconds when windows steamed up lol. Anyways I charged the car this aftertoon and too my surprise after 2 hours 45 mins the GMO meter was reading 25 miles on full charge so thanks for your tips etc and yeah i think you lot are ryt dont get to OCD about and just enjoy the car :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
You could check what the “Upper Charge” limit the car is set too in the head unit.
E.G. - Has the car been set only to charge to an upper limit of 80% for example ?.
I doubt it, but worth checking.
Remember, the reported predicted range on the GOM will be reduced if you have anything like the HVAC / Heated Mirrors or Heated Seats ( If you have them ).
The actual range covered by the car in EV mode today, will give you some idea if the range you are receiving if about right.
The prediction on the GOM is also affected by the ambient temperature also.
You will quickly come to understand there are a lot of factors that goes into the car reporting the predicted range after a charge.
Receiving a predicted range of 32 miles on the GOM after a proper FULL charge at this time of year and of that age / mileage car, is not very likely to be totally honest.
We have all been down this long road of learning, when we first move over to full or part EV driving.
Over time you will learn how best to use the amount of EV range you have at your deposal.
Don’t worry, you have probably picked one of the best cars to put your toe into the EV water, when it comes to taking the first step into EV driving.
GTE - Then a full BEV for your next car is the very natural route.
Like many other owners of the GTE don’t get to hung up on what the GOM reports as your predicted range.
Carry out your checks regarding is you have correctly fully charged the car, make sure you have none of the mentioned things turned on when you boot up the car etc.
Do an actual range test, then when you are satisfied that all is working as it should do, then just charge the car and enjoy it for what it is.
Don’t go chasing that 32 miles in the GOM because you are not likely to see it very often, if at all.
This debate has been covered at great length on this forum, I am just giving you the very condensed version.
Check first, then accept and move on enjoying the car.
You do have the luxury of a back up engine at the end of the day !.
Hi Carty, could you by any chance please point me to where the upper charge limit setting is in the head unit? When I go into car settings and e-manager all I see is the lower charge slider limit and there is nothing above or below that relating to the upper charge limit? I can see an upper charge limit in the We-Connect app but from what you say the setting has to be on the head unit also? Feel like I'm going mad because I can't see it anywhere on there!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Hi Carty, could you by any chance please point me to where the upper charge limit setting is in the head unit? When I go into car settings and e-manager all I see is the lower charge slider limit and there is nothing above or below that relating to the upper charge limit? I can see an upper charge limit in the We-Connect app but from what you say the setting has to be on the head unit also? Feel like I'm going mad because I can't see it anywhere on there!
Hi @robboweb .
My car was a June 2015 X Demo model with "Discovery Pro" head unit ( £1700.00 option from the factory ) and other nice factory features fitted.
These "Demo / Showroom" cars was NEVER equipped with any "App" functions and therefore, any possible charging options had to be set via the head unit itself.
I sold the car over 12 months ago and I have been scratching my head ( and made a lot of sawdust in the process ) trying to picture how the head unit was set up / configured.
It's frustrating because I can see a picture of the very screen in my mind now, it has a left to right slide control, located on the bottom of the screen.
This slide control can be used to set the upper charge limit when you charge the car.
It also has a setting for the lower limit, but I think that is on another screen.
Trying to direct you to it correctly, without having the car anymore, is a no go sorry.
Hang on, I think there is an option you can select under the e.manager screen.
This is the menu you use to set up for delayed charging, from memory I think there is an option for selecting an "Off Peak" timer function ?.
Maybe you have to "tick the box" for this first.
I am sure there will be somebody who either has a better memory, or still owns a GTE can direct you correctly, sorry I can not be more helpful - Dam !.
P.S. - The setting of delayed charging and it's settings it the head unit, has been covered at length on the form.
It has been covered by showing images of each charging screen.
A quick search under delayed charging settings for GTE should provide you with the info you require.
How about this :-

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The We-Connect app is just a remote control of the eManager, I think if it is setup in We-Connect it is setup in the car.

Text Line Colorfulness Font Parallel

Text Colorfulness Line Font Parallel

At 0degC I am getting a GOM of 21 miles at 100% charge, so it may be you are fully charged.

If you use the We-Connect ID app you can see battery charge %

Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive design Automotive mirror

·
Registered
63 Posts
As a point of reference the guess o'meter on our 2015 GTE is typically showing ~25-26 miles on these cool (sub-zero) mornings, whereas in warmer weather ~32 was its best guess.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
As a point of reference the guess o'meter on our 2015 GTE is typically showing ~25-26 miles on these cool (sub-zero) mornings, whereas in warmer weather ~32 was its best guess.
My 2018 GTE is probably 3 to 4 miles less than yours in both seasons - I guess either my battery is not happy, or the GOM is running a different calculation.

What sort of actual range are you getting?

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2018 GTE is probably 3 to 4 miles less than yours in both seasons - I guess either my battery is not happy, or the GOM is running a different calculation.

I haven't checked properly for some while, but I'd guess typically maybe ~10-15% less than the guess o'meter.

We have a regular round-journey of 23 miles and currently the ICE is chiming in a mile or so from home.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts

I think the figures on what you are seeing, is very typical to be honest.
The figures between cars do differ of course, but their are MANY factors that can influence what different peoples cars reports on the GOM.
The best advice I was even given by others owners of the GTE was this :-
Don't overthink or stress over what the GOM reports after a charge, just charge it and then enjoy it !.
On a personal basis only, I find expecting a predicted GOM range of 32 miles on a car that is now a few years old, is a little optimistic really.
Remember, it is called a GOM for a good reason.

·
Registered
63 Posts
.....I find expecting a predicted GOM range of 32 miles on a car that is now a few years old, is a little optimistic really.
Remember, it is called a GOM for a good reason.
Our car is 5 years old and typically shows 31-32 miles during warmer weather.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts