Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
That is scary, driving on the line like that.
Then again, didn't a Tesla plow into a pedestrian pushing a bicycle across the road a few years ago?
All the autonomous driving so far hasn't been as good as having a human in control, even the dickhead drivers who don't give cyclists much room, do give some which is better than this example.
It'll get far worse before it gets better.
As ever the government, insurers and manufacturers will have far more say in this than any poor bugger using either a bike or their feet to get around.
We seem inured to approx 2,000 deaths a year on the roads and many more thousands of seriously injured so I can't see the average Joe or those in power giving a sh*t tbh.

·
Premium Member
11,657 Posts
Reactions: Swagman

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
172 Posts
I saw something very recently about this. I think it was BBC's 'Click' magazine programme about autonomous driving in Arizona. It's not yet available on iPlayer.
Then again, didn't a Tesla plow into a pedestrian pushing a bicycle across the road a few years ago?
I think it was an Uber modified Volvo. On Uber's video of the incident it appeared they had adjusted the lighting so that the person pushing the cycle appeared to appear out of nowhere whereas the road was actually very well lit. In any case the car failed to 'see' the person and the supervising driver was streaming videos.
The article mentioned how autonomous systems were rated by how many interventions the supervising drivers had to make every x miles. I remember Uber being dire whereas others were much better - in the thousands of miles, which seems remarkable.
As a commuting cyclist I am very interested/concerned about autonomous driving. I remember hearing once (I regret not being able to attribute this remembrance to a source) that autonomous vehicle designers find cycles extremely difficult to cater for. Perhaps because they are difficult for the system to perceive, exacerbated by difficulties in predicting their behaviour. (But it's not our fault!)
It'll get far worse before it gets better.
Respectfully I think not. I think vehicle manufacturers are driven (see what I did there?) by statistics and they will be keen on protecting cyclists because bad press reflects in bad sales. And insurers and governments (even risible ones like the UK's) measure success by key performance indicators such as injuries.
I cycle to my job where I am responsible for complicated plant with potentially high safety consequences and I know that plant is far better in 'Auto'. The complexity of driving autonomously is much higher than I personally know at work, mind!

·
Registered
473 Posts
The other side of the coin are the dickhead cyclists riding on the road when there is a perfect and rather expensive unused cycle path made just for them running parallel to the road their riding on.
What a moronic comment. Cycle lanes that run on pavements are often shared with pedestrians and force you to give way at every side road. Fine for kids doing 5mph but absolutely inappropriate for someone cycling at 15-25mph. You are not fit to use the road and should turn in your licence until you educate yourself properly. Idiot.

·
Registered
982 Posts
The other side of the coin are the dickhead cyclists riding on the road when there is a perfect and rather expensive unused cycle path made just for them running parallel to the road their riding on.
You've obviously ridden a lot of these cycle lanes from the comfort of your car then?

Unfortunately the vast majority of cycle lanes built in the UK are appeasements only built by developers as part of their planning permission. They are not fit for purpose, even for the typical leisure cyclist going no more than 10mph. There's no coherent plan, no specific design quality, no joining one to another and certainly no attempt to make the use of them easier or safer for the majority of cyclists.

Outside of London, there are very few cycle lanes that are built anywhere near to the standards that our neighbours in Denmark, France, Germany or Holland would consider acceptable. Nottingham and Sheffield have put a few in where space allows, but even the UK cycling capital, Cambridge, has absolutely atrocious cycle lanes.

People don't use them because they are crap, not because the deliberately want to p*ss off car drivers.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
You're a cyclist that thinks cycle paths are "perfect". That's funny.
Hows that funny?

I live in an area that spent a large amount of money making incredibly good tarmac paths surrounding the entire area that are almost as good as the Germans! yet everyday I see at least 5 or 6 muppets on their bikes riding down the main road instead of using the path. I'd almost forgive them if they were riding skinny's but when they're sat riding a full sus fatbike with the seemingly 4 foot wide bars along with the fullface helmets it pisses me off

1 - 20 of 99 Posts