Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

481 - 486 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yes they're just gimmicks in a car but there's no reason not to project the data images at infinity as they should be, surely.
I have a current mode A4 With HUD and it certainly isn't a gimmick. It gives me actual speed, speed limit and navigation information at a level above the bonnet but below your infinity view. It works perfectly I would not want it higher up as it could mask something ahead on the road. Where it is located you have enough peripheral vision to see it whilst still observing the road. Far far safer than having to glance down at the dashboard to check speed or view navigation instructions. I suspect people who suggest they are gimmicks haven't experienced the benefits of a decent HUD.

One of my biggest issues with a potential model 3 purchase is the lack of HUD and the location of the speed display in central screen.

·
Premium Member
9,831 Posts
One of my biggest issues with a potential model 3 purchase is the lack of HUD and the location of the speed display in central screen.
The ID3 will have a driver screen and a very fancy HUD, but you will have to wait for general availability as latter not on 1st Edition. Also after the GTE I am sure you wouldn't want the shonky Tesla quality, with dodgy paintwork and awful panel gaps ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have my name down for an ID3 but I will probably be waiting for the Max version with HUD and longer range.

In the meantime I do intend to have a test drive in a model 3 when they become available.

I am sure VW quality will exceed that of the Tesla but Tesla have more advanced battery technology.
It's a tricky one and, at the moment I am undecided but will have a clearer view once full details of the ID3 are released.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The ID3 will have a driver screen and a very fancy HUD, but you will have to wait for general availability as latter not on 1st Edition. Also after the GTE I am sure you wouldn't want the shonky Tesla quality, with dodgy paintwork and awful panel gaps ;)
This is my dilemma...seeing as VWUK obvious knows best :rolleyes: so they have decided that they will not be bringing the ‘1st Edition Max’ to the UK (the HUD / AR is only available on the ‘Max’) do I wait for the 1st Edition pre-order book to be filled and then order a ’normal' ID.3 Max, or go back to plan A which was a Model 3.

Having viewed a Model 3 (LHD) at Fully Charged Live the panel gaps were expectable... not perfect but certainly good enough, you could clearly see where paintwork had been skimped however (you can see the primer under and on the the boot hinges for example)

IMG_0458 2.jpg

The ID will no doubt be better built, but it also has a smaller boot, the battery will not be as good as the Tesla though, this is the primary reason I am going to the Frankfurt IAA show in September, I will then be able to view them both within a few minutes of each other.

The biggest deciding factor will be the price, if the 77 kWh ID.3 Max (specced up to my preference) is going to go over £40k then I may as well go for the Tesla... however if the ID.3 is offered with ventilated seats, electric hatch etc then this may be my preferred choice.

I used to be indecisive, but now i’m not so sure :p

481 - 486 of 486 Posts