Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
I also have reservations about the bulge - however it is not fair to judge the ID from these camouflaged pictures. It looks good enough out of disguise.

Actually it is its tall proportions that I am finding a bit hard to get used to..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry, but this is not a good look from the front. Hate the plastic bulge top of bonnet. Looks good from side & back.

View attachment 117902

The Seat el-born version looks much better

View attachment 117904
Is the bulge on top of the bonnet actually plastic? Having seen the photos later in this thread, with windscreen wipers in view, I do not understand the purpose of the bulge.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Back looks like update of my Golf GTE. Sides look nice, but the front :censored: :cry:

Unless the bulge is just another hide thing and not on production car. I couldn't spend £30k plus if I dont like the look of the car.

·
Registered
636 Posts
The bulge will be black on the final car I think and read as an extension to the windscreen rather than the bonnet.
But what does it do? I had assumed it was to keep the wipers out of the way when they were not being used (for aerodynamics?), but one of those photos shows them above the line of the bulge when the car is clearly parked and switched off.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts
But what does it do? I had assumed it was to keep the wipers out of the way when they were not being used (for aerodynamics?), but one of those photos shows them above the line of the bulge when the car is clearly parked and switched off.
It still covers most of the wiper apparatus. Look at your eGolf and you will much the same arrangement facilitated by the rear edge of the bonnet.

·
Registered
406 Posts
That photo was taken quite high up though, look at ones taken front on and at bonnet height and they are almost completely covered.

Someone has suggested it may be to house the HUD / AR and the IQ light??

Topgear has also de-camouflaged it:

vw_id3_frontquarter topgear.jpg
vw_id3_rearquarter topgear.jpg

IF the bump is black along with the roof and A pillars then it doesn’t look that bad IMO, however if it's body coloured then it’s going to look awful.

·
Registered
406 Posts
A few things (on the el-Born) I hadn’t noticed before.

Rear ’spoiler’ actually deflects the air over the rear window:
best-2019-seat-el-born-spy-shoot-2-1024x576.jpg
Genève-2019-Seat-El-Born-DSC_7981.jpg

The ‘instrument cluster’ is actually attached to the steering columb:
Genève-2019-Seat-El-Born-DSC_7984.jpg

MFSW buttons could be physical contoured buttons not just flat touch screen like they appeared to be:
Genève-2019-Seat-El-Born-DSC_7985.jpg

Infotainment display:
Genève-2019-Seat-El-Born-DSC_7986.jpg

I’m still not sure about the about how the screens are physically mounted though! (but they may look ‘OK' from the drivers seat)
Genève-2019-Seat-El-Born-DSC_7979.jpg

·
Registered
406 Posts
It doesn't appear to house anything:

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 15.58.50.png

Looks like the Max (at least) will get fully electrically adjustable (inc lumbar adjustment) memory seats :D :
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 15.58.27.png

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not seeing anything yet to change my mind - I'm still sold on it.

White not my choice, but as there's supposed to be 4 to choose from, so should be OK.

Expecting the dash to be as these pictures - lines up with the description from the Top Gear early drive from end of last year, again looks OK to me.

·
Registered
636 Posts
It still covers most of the wiper apparatus. Look at your eGolf and you will much the same arrangement facilitated by the rear edge of the bonnet.
Yeah, I was wondering what more the bulge added beyond just hiding them behind the rear edge of the bonnet. But nothing will be done without a reason and lots of computer modelling/wind tunnel testing. I am most certainly not a car designer.

I'm not completely sold on the bulge, or the wheel trim/alloys. Yet. I want to see it without camouflage. Otherwise I like what I see. I'm desperate to see the augmented reality HUD. The id3 is a strong contender for when I eventually replace the eGolf. Preferably as a high spec, big battery three-ish year old car. So a few years yet. But by then there should be plenty of different cars to choose from.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That photo was taken quite high up though, look at ones taken front on and at bonnet height and they are almost completely covered.

Topgear has also de-camouflaged it:

View attachment 117984 View attachment 117986

IF the bump is black along with the roof and A pillars then it doesn’t look that bad IMO, however if it's body coloured then it’s going to look awful.
Agree that in that mock-up re-paint with white and black that the bump does not look that bad. I still cannot understand what it is for however. I am unsure that in there other colour schemes how it would look.

Now I have looked at the back - and even on the Seat el Born photos - I wonder how the rear hatch works, as I cannot see where is the split in the rear light cluster to make it a neat opening hatch. For me the key feature is that it is a hatch back - if this is not the case then I'd be cancelling. The only split I can see is further along the rear light clusters and that would make the hatch port rather like a chicane. Not practicable in my view.

On the Seat photos I wonder where the drive controls are (P, R, N, D and the regen levels) nevermind the rear brake/parking brake. Though the current e-Golf auto brake position is not ideal as occasionally my passenger turns it off by accident! The Seat has very normal steering controls for audio, display but I could not see the ACC controls which I really like using on my e-Golf.

·
Registered
999 Posts
On the Seat photos I wonder where the drive controls are (P, R, N, D and the regen levels) nevermind the rear brake/parking brake. Though the current e-Golf auto brake position is not ideal as occasionally my passenger turns it off by accident! The Seat has very normal steering controls for audio, display but I could not see the ACC controls which I really like using on my e-Golf.
Have you been in a BMW i3? The drive controls in the ID.3 follow the same principle, they are mounted on a control stalk just behind the steering wheel and in the case of the ID.3 (and el Born) sort of stuck on the right side of the small display.

If you go here: VW ID.3 And SEAT el-Born Look Nearly Identical In This Image Mashup . Go to the bottom scroll of images about the SEAT and look for images #29 and #30

1 - 20 of 364 Posts