Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

321 - 340 of 379 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
VW will (eventually) give 0 to 100kmh (62mph) figures. However I am confident they will limit performance to avoid any comparison with Golf GTI as don't want to hurt high profit sales. My guess is 7.5 seconds or slower.
Good call, just like the MB250e that had an official 0-60 time 1 second slower than the real time as the AMG has to be fastest in their portfolio.

·
Registered
780 Posts
VW will (eventually) give 0 to 100kmh (62mph) figures. However I am confident they will limit performance to avoid any comparison with Golf GTI as don't want to hurt high profit sales. My guess is 7.5 seconds or slower.
Auto Express are reporting that an "ID.3 R" is under serious consideration at VW.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
If the sacred cow (the GTI) is no longer producing milk, then I don’t think VW will have any hesitation in killing it off or having it rise Phoenix like as a performance EV.

If VW are serious about the future being electric, then what else can they do?

Obviously, this is just the start of the transition, so clearly things will be different and possibly contradictory for a while.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Auto Express are reporting that an "ID.3 R" is under serious consideration at VW.
Everything will be under serious consideration, however the reality of the matter is, Volkswagen will not produce a GTI or R versions of the iD 3 until they are ready to kill off their petrol variants.
Volkswagen has already confirmed their MK8 MQB platform will see a GTI and R version.

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
Latest news articles say ID3 performance mode will come "in 5 years and be AWD", but my understanding was that current ID3 does not have space for front motor.

It was "head of sales" who allegedly said this and it contradicts the ID product manager. She recently said it would be a different ID model for performance.

I suspect this is a lot of hot performance air and they don't actually have any plans or spoken to any engineers. Clearly they don't want the VW faithful to buy a different brand and would prefer they buy a GTI petrol for now and wait a few years for the VW "performance EV" .

Incidentally they did say that ID3 is faster than Golf GTI over 0 to 60km/h, which I guess makes sense. From that comments one assumes not to 100km/h.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like how it looks (but definitely not the white steering wheel!) but I’ve had my e-Golf less than six months and have another three years on the PCP so I’ll be waiting until 2022 before I even start to think about another car (and even then I may just make the final payment and but the car).

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
Latest news articles say ID3 performance mode will come "in 5 years and be AWD", but my understanding was that current ID3 does not have space for front motor.

It was "head of sales" who allegedly said this and it contradicts the ID product manager. She recently said it would be a different ID model for performance.

I suspect this is a lot of hot performance air and they don't actually have any plans or spoken to any engineers. Clearly they don't want the VW faithful to buy a different brand and would prefer they buy a GTI petrol for now and wait a few years for the VW "performance EV" .

Incidentally they did say that ID3 is faster than Golf GTI over 0 to 60km/h, which I guess makes sense. From that comments one assumes not to 100km/h.
It should be remembered that the ID3 is the first of 50 electric vehicles planned.

It would be inconceivable that some of those won’t be performance variants, besides which, a 200ps EV is already pretty quick in comparison to many other cars on the road.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Apologies if these have been posted before but I haven’t come across them on here:

These are all for the 1st Edition

Paint and interior colour choices

Base model trim:

Plus (the ONLY 1st Edition we are getting in the UK):

Max:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hopefully the "app connect wireless" mentioned above is talking about wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play as mentioned here:
It will be very nice if that's correct - even nicer if it works on the phone I already own and not just some high end Pixel device!

·
Registered
39 Posts
A lot of speculation here:

But basically:
  • 1st edition €39900
  • 1st plus €46000
  • 1st max €49900
If that's correct (and assuming there's no sudden dramatic recovery of the GBP/EUR exchange rate) then the first version of VW's "EV for the masses" will be well and truely subject to luxury car tax. :unsure: Hmmmmm

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
If that's correct (and assuming there's no sudden dramatic recovery of the GBP/EUR exchange rate) then the first version of VW's "EV for the masses" will be well and truely subject to luxury car tax. :unsure: Hmmmmm
Only here in the U.K.

There are masses elsewhere in the world, and they want EVs too. Maybe even their governments are more progressive around tax than ours as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Only here in the U.K.

There are masses elsewhere in the world, and they want EVs too. Maybe even their governments are more progressive around tax than ours as well.
Of course! I don't know if any other countries been daft enough to impose a vehicle duty system which after year one is based entirely around price of car rather than emmisions or similar concerns! I really don't understand the mindset that was behind basically moving to a flat rate for all vehicles no matter how polluting.

To be more positive, I guess the rate just needs to stabilise somewhere north of 1.16 for the car to come in at sub 40K 🤞🤞 I'm sure VW UK are very keen to hit that price point.

·
Premium Member
2,632 Posts
At those prices, my wallet is winning the argument to go for an e-Up instead, at least for the next 3-4yrs.
There’s a lot to be said for buying only what you need, and not what you want.

When the satisfaction of buying and taking delivery of a £40k+ multi hundred mile performance EV wears off, you’ll still only be mostly asking it to do stuff that an e-UP! could do admirably.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
At those prices, my wallet is winning the argument to go for an e-Up instead, at least for the next 3-4yrs.
We are thinking an Up, or skoda/seat equivalent, will be quite a good option to go with the e-Golf.
After buying the Niro then work travel needs changing I'm finding that paying for a car with a large battery but mostly using it for short trips isn't working for us.
I'd like an ID 3, or to keep the Niro, but most of the time I only need to charge twice a week and only to 70%.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There’s a lot to be said for buying only what you need, and not what you want.

When the satisfaction of buying and taking delivery of a £40k+ multi hundred mile performance EV wears off, you’ll still only be mostly asking it to do stuff that an e-UP! could do admirably.
If its nearer 40k then an e-UP! or e-Golf would come in 15k-20k cheaper. Thats some difference, especially with monthly PCP.

321 - 340 of 379 Posts