Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GTX is the term that VW is going to use to describe their all electric performance models in the same way as they currently use GTi and GTE. They have just announced today the ID4 GTX. Two electric motors with about 300bhp. Apparently they can‘t do the same with the Golf sized ID3 since there is not enough room in the front for the second electric motor.

What!

So no electric equivalent of the performance Golfs?

VW will be missing a trick. A big one!

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
878 Posts
Yes, I was really surprised by that - and the fact Autocar reckon the ID4 GTX will be circa £50k before a long list of options. Looks like Hyundai has stolen VW’s chips.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Saw an ID4 today. Good looking car. Will people pay £50k + for a VW ?

I am not so sure. They tried higher end with the Phaeton and it didn't work....

When they stick an Audi badge on it people will pay it.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
Performance SUV = Oxymoron

Better to add lightness and a lower CoG than just add more power - the MX and MY are quick in drag races but significantly slower than the MS and M3 on a road track.

Golf R at £39k or ID.4 GTX at £50k plus? I know which way I'd go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if the 100 or so bhp electric motor in the front of the ID4 GTX is the same one that is fitted to the GTE? Makes sense since it was updated for the Mk8 GTE with what VW learnt developing the ID motors.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,674 Posts
I’m sure VW can just install a more powerful motor in the ID.3 if they want to give it more go?

204PS can’t be the most powerful motor that would fit.

It doesn’t have to be AWD, although I’d prefer it if it was, I’d be surprised if they can’t squeeze more out of the RWD only chassis.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’m sure VW can just install a more powerful motor in the ID.3 if they want to give it more go?

204PS can’t be the most powerful motor that would fit.

It doesn’t have to be AWD, although I’d prefer it if it was, I’d be surprised if they can’t squeeze more out of the RWD only chassis.
Fair point. A single motor with 250 bhp (plus a shed load of torque) would easily match a GTi or GTE. 300 bhp of the ID4 GTX would be in Golf R territory.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
300 bhp of the ID4 GTX would be in Golf R territory.
I beg to differ given the lardy nature of the ID.4 - 1900-2050 kg vs 1550kg - it'll both be slower and feel slower. The ID.3 is around 250 kg lighter than the ID.4 which would make all the difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since there is not enough room in the front of ID3 for a second motor there won’t be the equivalent to the ‘R’ in this model.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
Since there is not enough room in the front of ID3 for a second motor there won’t be the equivalent to the ‘R’ in this model.
A bit of a power bulge in the bonnet and a shuffle of the electric bits should sort that out.

Wouldn't look so cute but that's probably what you want anyway.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,674 Posts
Maybe a couple of in wheel hub motors to get power to the front, could also do some software torque vectoring?

Mind you, the basic software needs to be sorted first, walk before you can run and all that. I can see something coming out at the mid-life refresh, but depends what happens in the general EV market as well I guess.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think that a mid life refresh on both the Mk8 Golf and ID3 will include the return of knobs. Oh how I miss fiddling with a knob whilst driving!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appear to be on VW’s ID mailing list. Just had a email introducing the ID.3 ‘Pure Performance’ with a 45kWh battery and 150 PS motor. I think a more appropriate name would be ‘Oxymoron’ or ‘Slow and Not Too Far’.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,952 Posts
I think that a mid life refresh on both the Mk8 Golf and ID3 will include the return of knobs. Oh how I miss fiddling with a knob whilst driving!
Welcome to the age of design by the iPad generation. They'll not listen to you nor provide you with the equivalent of a large button phone. ;)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The ID3 has 204 PS, that's as much as the Golf GTE. Not GTI or R territory though.

I'd like to see if anyone could remap an ID3. In theory if you were to override the electrical limits, I could see 250 PS being possible, but you could pop the battery fuse or damage power electronics, which could get really expensive.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts