Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen has updated their UK pricing for the e-Up with a new basic price of £23,115 before subsidies, which will leave a purchasing price of about £19,600. The standard equipment has also been updated with driver’s seat functionality and a rear camera.

Read the rest here

VW lowers UK price for e-Up by £3,000 - electrive.com

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
There will be somebody along shortly to say the range is nowhere near enough for this day and age, or that it can't tow a horsebox, and/or that I tried to buy one a few years back and they never returned my call. That's before you even consider dieselgate...

But anyway, the Up! is a car I always want to dislike for some reason (a bit like the Vauxhall Insignia!), but whenever I've driven one (and I have never driven the e-Up! unfortunately) it's always a car that has me walking away thinking 'how much car do most people actually need'.

I wonder how many will make it to UK shores in RHD though. The Up! GTI has a ridiculous waiting list, in common with a lot of VW cars.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More equipment included as standard.

"The e-up! city car now benefits from more standard-fit equipment including height adjustment for the driver’s seat. A rear-view camera is also built-in to give owners the reassurance of parking in tight urban spaces without worry while, on the inside, a stylish new seat trim design provides extra flair."

VOLKSWAGEN E-UP! GETS £3,250 VALUE BOOST

·
Registered
327 Posts
Is this the start of a run-out of older models in preparation for the new platform coming through?

·
Registered
4,212 Posts
Is this the start of a run-out of older models in preparation for the new platform coming through?
Could be VW testing the market to see if a price drop gives a kick in sales to a) as you suggest clear the parts bins and b) find the list price point for the models that are coming.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
We have a two-car PHEV, with an eGolf as our city car and an Up as our long-range car (which when I am driving prompts exactly the same response as @Tooks had). I have always suspected that we got this the wrong way round, -- except that I wouldn't be without our Golf..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hello, here in France they are dumping the e-up when they have them in stock. I have seen offers for 13-15k without any owner. When they plate the car, and it sits, they have some time limit to get rid of it. Not sure if it would be logical to buy in France and move the car around, but you can see the offers on lacentrale and other sites. I had VW send me an unsolicited offer this week for a "un-used" but legally "used" as it was plated in 2018 for -16k off the sticker of 28.

·
That money was just resting in my account!
122 Posts
There will be somebody along shortly to say the range is nowhere near enough for this day and age
That person would be right though.

Edit: To expand, I'm sure that some people would be happy with the car. But for most, the economics won't stack up. The e-up is well over double the cost of the ICE version. Fuel savings will not offset this enough, because you can't do enough annual mileage with such a small battery.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The issue I have with cars like the e-Up is that there natural target market are people who want a car for limited "near home" usage and these people often buy 2nd hand cars. Hence a new EV is having to complete with 2nd hand ICE and can't do so on the total cost of ownership.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
That person would be right though.

Edit: To expand, I'm sure that some people would be happy with the car. But for most, the economics won't stack up. The e-up is well over double the cost of the ICE version. Fuel savings will not offset this enough, because you can't do enough annual mileage with such a small battery.
Well, as the average uk motorist does about 35 miles a day, I’m not seeing the case for a car sitting on the drive that can do 300. Yes, yes, I know that sometimes people need to drive 300 miles for a ‘family emergency’ or some such, but if people were that bothered they could make it work.

I accept it’s not a car that everybody could live with, heck, lots of people don’t really like the UP! full stop, but it would cover the mileage needs of the vast majority of people if they were honest.

And, a circa £1.5k a year fuel and VED saving is not to be sniffed at. That’s before the environmental benefits, such as they are.

·
122 Posts
I'm not seeing a fuel and VED saving of £1.5k. For that you would need to be driving over 250 miles a week. But nobody with a 50+ mile commute will buy it, because the battery is so small.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
I'm not seeing a fuel and VED saving of £1.5k. For that you would need to be driving over 250 miles a week. But nobody with a 50+ mile commute will buy it, because the battery is so small.
12k mikes a year? Assuming an ICE mpg of 46, and no VED, £1.5k is the ballpark.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,090 Posts
That was certainly the big conundrum with early EVs, with a small range and a big cost there was a goldilocks daily commute of 70~80ish miles a day where EVs paid back. Of course everyone in that range swore blind they were saving £000s... so therefore everyone could too, why were they so dumb not to see it!

There is a price point and a mileage in which BEVs make sense. It is not a certainty for everyone. As prices change and come down, there will be a point where it is no brainer for everyone, but we're not there yet.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
I think we agree on the maths, my point is that nobody will do 12K miles a year in this car.
I’m not sure I get your point to be honest, or at least I don’t see why that’s a problem? There are plenty of Tesla’s that don’t do 12k a year either, so presumably there’s no case for them either?

Not everybody buys an EV to save money, in fact I’d say that if you do you’re probably a bit barking anyway given the price of most of them compared to a conventional car.

Putting any price or running cost concerns aside, a car with the range of the e-UP! is perfectly useable as an everyday electric car for most people.

·
122 Posts
Well, I think most people do care about the economics, judging by all the "My leaf PCP has ended, going back to ICE" posts I see.

·
Premium Member
2,582 Posts
Well, I think most people do care about the economics, judging by all the "My leaf PCP has ended, going back to ICE" posts I see.
I’m sure a lot do, but then early adopters did get to take advantage of some loss leading vehicles along with free charging.

Now that’s come to an end it is proving rather a financial shock for some.

All that doesn’t make a lower range EV a bad one though, and you either care about your driving footprint or you don’t.

·
Registered
546 Posts
We have a regular ICE up as our second car and It is excellent. I can drive it comfortably and im 6Ft5.

I would highly recommmed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts