Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to use a combination of the built in nav alongside using say carplay for Spotify. However I notice when doing this if say a message comes in, the carplay interface will just take over the entire screen and drop out the navigation.

Does anyone know if this is possible, to always keep the VW navigation map on at least part of the screen?

And before anyone thinks I'm mad for not say using Google Maps, the reason I'm trying this is I'm guessing if battery pre-heat etc starts to arrive for journeys (similar to Tesla), this will probably be limited to using the in car nav (similar to Tesla). Though Tesla also has a Spotify app since it lacks Carplay to get round this kind of issue.

·
Registered
586 Posts
CarPlay and Android Auto are essentially standalone apps as far as the car is concerned, so any kind of notification or alert they display on screen will take over the whole interface (as you describe). The only way to avoid that happening is to just connect the phone via the bluetooth connection & not use CarPlay. The car will then handle the notifications for SMS and phone but not for anything else like WhatsApp. Then you lose a lot of the functionality of Spotify of course, though it will still play music and allow you to use the back/forward buttons (but not a lot else).

·
Registered
381 Posts
I may be be misunderstanding, but I use the built in Nav with CarPlay all the time

I’m able to have built Nav either full or half screen.

if using half screen, I can get the CarPlay media app on part of the other side

I can switch between the two without any issue.

on CarPlay, I’ve used Apple Music, Amazon abs Spotify. They all work, by I find Amazon flaky. Out of the 3, I prefer the Spotify setup, will be even better when 14.5 is released as it can then be set as primary

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both. I didn't realise it did switch back after a few seconds. Would be great to get this off, as invariably for me its switched the screen at times when I'm feeling particularly lost. Thanks for help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.