Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Where can I find my warranty information? What date of manufacture did the warranty change from ‘old’ to ‘new’.
Perhaps it is something I can only find online - meaning that they can change the terms at any time, regardless of manufacturing date. That would be highly unethical.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where can I find my warranty information? What date of manufacture did the warranty change from ‘old’ to ‘new’.
Perhaps it is something I can only find online - meaning that they can change the terms at any time, regardless of manufacturing date. That would be highly unethical.
Some time after October 2020.

Search in your cars owners manual for 70%

This is the new page.

The old one is here:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for that phproxy. Sadly even in your web.archive link there is no mention of the 70%. Like George Orwell‘s 1984 they have probably rewritten history. It just says

‘Gradual reduction in battery capacity over time is integral to the nature of the component, and does not represent a defect under the terms of this guarantee, as long as the reduction in capacity is not in excess of the value specified for this vehicle in the owner's manual.’

No mention of the 70% in my manual. My GTE one of the first batch into the UK and registered the end of October and I’m convinced I read about the 70% before purchase.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that phproxy. Sadly even in your web.archive link there is no mention of the 70%. Like George Orwell‘s 1984 they have probably rewritten history. It just says

‘Gradual reduction in battery capacity over time is integral to the nature of the component, and does not represent a defect under the terms of this guarantee, as long as the reduction in capacity is not in excess of the value specified for this vehicle in the owner's manual.’

No mention of the 70% in my manual. My GTE one of the first batch into the UK and registered the end of October and I’m convinced I read about the 70% before purchase.
Page 297 in edition 11.2017

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is all I have. Tells us bugger all!
I suspect the 70% limit is no longer applicable to the Mk8.
Guess I should contact my VW dealer for clarification.

2020.07 Page 314

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
PHEV batteries undergo more cycles and many Mk7 GTE batteries were reportedly at 80% SoH or less after 80,000 miles+. Anecdotally my new battery (replaced under recall) with 25,000 miles shows some wear - it reports 29 miles instead of 31 miles as brand new.

So not surprising that VW are taking the capacity warranty away from these vehicles. Disappointing, but not surprising. I don't see how PHEVs can be a long term prospect for reducing CO2 emissions if the battery packs need replacing at the 8 year mark, it just doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It begs the question? Have VW removed the 70% capacity warranty because their batteries are now better made and they know that they will not degrade below 70% in 100,000 miles OR they don’t want the expense of replacing any battery for capacity reasons.
I’m becoming increasingly cynical as I ‘Mature’ therefore I suspect the latter is the case 😢.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
It begs the question? Have VW removed the 70% capacity warranty because their batteries are now better made and they know that they will not degrade below 70% in 100,000 miles OR they don’t want the expense of replacing any battery for capacity reasons.
I’m becoming increasingly cynical as I ‘Mature’ therefore I suspect the latter is the case 😢.
I very much doubt they would remove the capacity warranty if the batteries were better! Sadly I am just as cynical here. I am still weighing up whether to get an ID.3, tricks like this do not play well in my mind.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My 225xe did 14,000miles before the end of lease, 10,000 on BEV mode.

That's 10,000 miles from a 7.6kWh battery being used to drive at up to 70mph, with power draw on acceleration of 7-8C.

After 100,000 miles I'd be amazed if it still had 70% nominal capacity!

I suspect VW have done the same sums.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,370 Posts
I did 91k miles in a 2015 Golf GTE, over 4 years, and I’d say at least 22k of those were in e-mode. More if you add regen miles etc.

The day I drove it to trade it in, I got 15 electric miles out of it, pretty much the same as I got on day one.

All batteries degrade, we know that much, what doesn’t is the cars usefulness as a plug in electric hybrid, which is what it is.

I would think the Mk8 version, which is what we’re talking about isn’t it, with its bigger battery and buffers will be even less stressed by life as a hybrid.

Even if you put an arbitrary percentage on a battery for warranty replacement, how will you measure it? What will be the arguments when you’re just 1% above that?

Looking at how PHEVs were designed to be used, ie as a fuel multiplier rather than a mini range BEV, then the battery is but one component in a power train system and therefore becomes less important/critical to its through life performance.

As long as you know that the warranty will replace it if fails, then not sure what else there is to worry about.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
9,400 Posts
That's far too sensible analysis to be posted here. :devilish: The hive view is that if there's a loss of one miles EV range then it's a conspiracy against us. Also, your usage of 25% EV is not the objective of a lot of owners who view PHEV more as range extender EVs to very occasionally be used but mainly to reduce range anxiety rather than be a fuel multiplier.
Personally I view them as an abhorance used to continue ICE ownership of gas guzzling SUVs such as BMW X5 and Discovery's although I also recognise their role as a useful gateway for people to pass through to full EV ownership. Clearly four years ago there was no affordable practical alternative for your usage, but now with the ID.3, M3 and Kona there are.

Reactions: Tooks
1 - 13 of 13 Posts