Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So as a new forum member I'd like to say I have recently bought a 2016 Passat GTE and I am quite happy about the car.

Long story short, the dealer (not VW) has said that the timing is a chain and not belt. Upon my own investigation (reading various threads here and other forums) it appears to me that the engine is actually a belt. Could anyone confirm this and the intervals for replacement too including the water pump please? Car is currently at 59k miles.

Registered
Hello all,

So as a new forum member I'd like to say I have recently bought a 2016 Passat GTE and I am quite happy about the car.

Long story short, the dealer (not VW) has said that the timing is a chain and not belt. Upon my own investigation (reading various threads here and other forums) it appears to me that the engine is actually a belt. Could anyone confirm this and the intervals for replacement too including the water pump please? Car is currently at 59k miles.
I was under the impression that the 1.4TSI engine is a chain driven.....

Registered
There are a few threads in the Golf GTE forum on the subject that are worth checking out. My understanding it is a belt and water pump does not need to be replaced as it is an electric pump not belt driven.

Price for replacement and required interval seem to vary a lot between dealers 鈽

Registered
There are a few threads in the Golf GTE forum on the subject that are worth checking out. My understanding it is a belt and water pump does not need to be replaced as it is an electric pump not belt driven.

Price for replacement and required interval seem to vary a lot between dealers 鈽
I can confirm that the above information from @ChrisCross123 is totally correct.
It has a cam belt and does not have the standard belt driven water pump like the standard 1.4 TSI engine on other models.
The water pump on the GTE is of the electric type.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I've rang VW actually and given them the VIN. (It's the second dealer I rang since the first one couldn't answer it). They confirmed it's the belt driven timing. No specific "interval" replacement, only recommended at about 100,000 miles for replacement but said the tensioner could go before that depending on who was driving it etc.

Registered
And, out of interest, what did they say would happen if the tensioner "went"? :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
And, out of interest, what did they say would happen if the tensioner "went"? :unsure:
That I haven't asked but knowing the complexity of the engine I would assume it would be something similar to a Hollywood explosion, not just physically but also pocket wise. I will probably bring the car to VW just to have it checked out just in case to see if they could asses it's life. But I will definitely ring them again with more questions.

Registered
I was of the opinion that the cam belt replacement was due when the car reached five years old any way, regardless of the mileage covered ?.
I say this because my previous GTE turned five years old in July 2020 and I think the car has now covered about 45,000 miles from new.
I received an e.mail in the summer time informing me that the cam belt replacement was now due.
It must have been triggered when the car approached five years old.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Start saving now !.
I know VW charges 299 euro for Gearbox service including Oil and 340 for engine service. I would imagine Timing belt would be roughly 450.

According to official VW history the oil and engine service have been done just at 55k miles and the car is now at 59.

No drama but definitelly will charge at work as much as I can. I have calculated that I would save around 80 euro per month on fuel alone so let's see how it goes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Any idea if the belt and tensioner replacement on these is any different to a regular TSI? Could I just bring it in to a "regular" garage?

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I think they are the same, the issue is whether you need to disconnect any of the HV system to get access.
I would imagine it would be quite normal since all the high voltage orange wires are on the right hand side with the converter etc. therefore leaving an "open" area to work with but I am yet to find out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts