Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think one of the interesting side comments made during the VW ID.3 presentation was VW's plans for Ionity. If they are really going to roll out charging hubs every 70 miles or so on all major motorways does that mean - finally - time up for Ecopaucity and the EH? Will it mean that, finally, we will get reliable, simple payment, CCS charging capabilities en route?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Be good news if they do, and like you I heard that they intended to have an Ionity CCS charge point every 120km/70miles along the whole European motorway network.

Whether that includes the UK post-Brexit I don't know!

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I think one of the interesting side comments made during the VW ID.3 presentation was VW's plans for Ionity. If they are really going to roll out charging hubs every 70 miles or so on all major motorways does that mean - finally - time up for Ecopaucity and the EH? Will it mean that, finally, we will get reliable, simple payment, CCS charging capabilities en route?
Seeing as Ionity is CCS-only, there will still be a place for EH on motorways.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I don't see why it should. We will still be a European country, it hasn't stopped them expanding across Norway for example. It's all about selling cars and we are a big market for all of the car makers involved in Ionity.
Norway is a very bad example, because for intents and purposes, it is a EU member (with some limitations). Just saying, we still have no real idea of the outcome of B..., sorry I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the bad word...

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't think they should be granted planning consent unless they have Chademo compatibility.
I think you are under a misapprehension of what the planning system does.

If you said instead don't let them have public money for it then I'd agree.

Although by that token Ecotricity are squatting on motorway services not providing ccs coverage.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not planning but EU regulations, but do you want to charge a LEAF 30 at £8 a go?
It would be nice to have the option! And if i did have the option, I'd be more likely to choose the Leaf for the longer journeys instead of taking the diesel Galaxy. Leaf 40 and 60s still have Chademo too I think so it's far from becoming obsolete in the UK.

Agreed that planning might not be the correct tool but it just doesn't seem in the right spirit that Ionity, with their part taxpayer funded network, are providing chargers that will not work with one of the best selling EVs in europe.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think you are under a misapprehension of what the planning system does.

If you said instead don't let them have public money for it then I'd agree.

Although by that token Ecotricity are squatting on motorway services not providing ccs coverage.
It is the public money bit that winds me up.

Weren't the early Chademo / AC charger chargers installed before CCS had been ratified?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi All, Just joined as pre-ordered my 1st EV. I looked at the Ionity web page and it list the charges (All using 8 with whatever currency) I.e £8, 8 euro etc per charge irrespective of how long. This to me sounds expensive as a quick top up costs the same as a full charge. As I have yet to get my EV, the charging network prices, apps, rfid tokens etc sounds daunting. Hope this makes sense and I can learn from your experience.
Regards... Phil

·
Registered
443 Posts
Personally I think charging a flat £8 is a bad move as people will invariably stay until they are fully charged rather than doing a quick 'splash and dash’

If you stopped long enough (and your battery was big enough) to put in 53 kW then it works out at just 15p / kWh, they don’t appear to have a time limit on how long you can charge for.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally I think charging a flat £8 is a bad move as people will invariably stay until they are fully charged rather than doing a quick 'splash and dash’

If you stopped long enough (and your battery was big enough) to put in 53 kW then it works out at just 15p / kWh, they don’t appear to have a time limit on how long you can charge for.
I agree. We can only hope that they see the light at some point and switch to per KWh charging. However, on the plus side the Maidstone one and the two other planned ones are all at MSAs (Maidstone at the Esso garage) so they have obviously found a way around the EH monopoly which can only be a good thing.

Actually, this might work out quite well because Chademo on EH would seem to work quite well, it is only CCS on EH that is so dire. If EH satisfy Chademo users and Ionity satisfy CCS users it is win/win for us all.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

I also hope that they have set this price structure as an initial setup and will adjust later depending on usage pattern.

But that assumes that the company has at least some common sense...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts