Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm wasting time here. I just wondered if anyone would recognise this problem.

My radio stopped powering on so I replaced the fuse which is located near the engine. It worked again but only until I turned the car off. I tried replacing the fuse again but found out that it wasn't blowing the fuses. Even the first one was fine. Merely taking the fuse out and putting it back in temporarily restores the power.

Would anybody have any ideas what the problem is here?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
Sorry if I'm wasting time here. I just wondered if anyone would recognise this problem.

My radio stopped powering on so I replaced the fuse which is located near the engine. It worked again but only until I turned the car off. I tried replacing the fuse again but found out that it wasn't blowing the fuses. Even the first one was fine. Merely taking the fuse out and putting it back in temporarily restores the power.

Would anybody have any ideas what the problem is here?
An odd one that?

What car is it?

Is the fuse holder clean and not corroded?

Seems like the removal of power resets the unit, but then it goes to sleep/bricks itself when powered ‘off’?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An odd one that?

What car is it?

Is the fuse holder clean and not corroded?

Seems like the removal of power resets the unit, but then it goes to sleep/bricks itself when powered ‘off’?
Hi. Thanks for replying.

It's a Skoda Octavia 2006.

I didn't notice any corrosion. But I'll have a proper look next time.

Yeah. Something like that. I was thinking that it was shorting out, and that killing the power entirely was the only way to get it to come back on. But I'm not sure.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
Hi. Thanks for replying.

It's a Skoda Octavia 2006.

I didn't notice any corrosion. But I'll have a proper look next time.

Yeah. Something like that. I was thinking that it was shorting out, and that killing the power entirely was the only way to get it to come back on. But I'm not sure.
Ah ok, so an old unit! It could be that it’s at the end of its life.

Can you do the trick on those where you keep the power button pressed until the unit cycles off then on again with the Skoda logo coming on?

On VWs of that vintage, there were issues with the unit going into some kind of anti theft mode where it would stay off the next time it was powered off until reset, is it the cars original unit?

If the reset thing doesn’t work, it should be cheap and easy enough to find a used unit off eBay or somewhere, probably more cost effective than spending money diagnosing the current one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry. I should have mentioned that it's a new touchscreen unit. I replaced it a year ago. Was working fine until now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts