Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW Promises New Golf Will Bring 'Huge Leap Forward'

Relevant quote: "Stackmann announced the demise of the e-Golf as the current generation of the all-electric model won’t be renewed since VW believes it would clash with the I.D. hatch."

I suppose if you've been following VW at all, this doesn't come as much of a surprise, given the end of the Golf 7 platform and the upcoming release of the I.D. EV lineup.

Still, it's bittersweet. I love my e-Golf, so I'm sad to see the product line discontinued, but I'm also hoping that the new I.D. EVs will improve on at least some of the e-Golf's maddening limitations.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,329 Posts
The ID 3 should be a better car if it’s been designed from the ground up as a pure EV.
Why is that? What is the logic you think applies?

Perhaps it is true that there may be less compromises made in the design, but also using common platforms means better tech at cheaper prices can be put on it.

Which is 'better'; a car with no compromises but expensive and not very good driver extras, or one that is cheap and stuffed with goodies, that might happen to occasionally wallow a bit in corners?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,329 Posts
There is nothing stopping the "goodies" from the golf being used on the ID 3.
... and nothing stopping them from being considerably more expensive in small volumes.

·
Journeyman Human
394 Posts
I'll be fascinated to see how this plays out over the coming years. It has a parallel in VW history to when the first golf came out in the mid 70's and VW continued to build the Beetle in Europe alongside it until 1979. After 1979 and right up to the late 80's it was still available to buy from VAG dealers in most European markets, although then built in Mexico, (Mexico production for the local market only finally ending in 2003!) with numbers dwindling each year.

The Beetle, of course, had been one of the most successful products in motoring history, selling over a million a year throughout a lot of the 60's, but well past it's technological sell by date by the 70's. (Arguably it was old tech by the end of the 50's, having been conceived in the 30's!) Ultimately though, the Beetle had had it's day and was killed off by the Golf itself and similar competition.

Now onto the ID. As a car the same size as the Golf and looking pretty much as something over time the golf would have evolved into anyway, I can't see a long term future for the Golf. Like the Beetle it has been hugely successful and will co exist for a few years, until most people are buying pure BEV's and the case for the ICE/Hybrid only Golf, like the Beetle before it will just fade away and it'll get retired as obsolete, probably surviving in developing counties with lower charging infrastructure for a few more years. (As an aside, the original Mk1 golf still sold in South Africa right until 2010!!)

As for the nonsense about it being a huge leap forward, well, bodily it'll be an evolution of the usual conservative Golf styling. (No bad thing at all :) ) Beyond this, we are just talking the usual move to screens instead of traditional instrumentation, losing knobs to touch screen controls & some semi autonomy for cruise and anti crash tech. Add in a good dose of internet connectivity and what else is really new? Nothing, it's just the same tired old ICE tech with the latest driver aids. VW will just be wringing a few more years out of their biggest cash cow and hedging in case the EV revolution doesn't pan out...

·
Registered
989 Posts
@Favguy

It makes sense to me. The ID will replace the Golf, just as the original Beetle was replaced by the Golf. Perhaps they'll come up with a better name than "ID" though - I don't really like it myself.

I bet the reason the GTE has effectively been discontinued is because it would not compete with the ID on price, or Mk8 GTIs on performance (which will almost certainly be hybrids of some type or another, maybe plugin ones).

·
Journeyman Human
394 Posts
I think I read on here that the Golf EV could become a bit of a collectors item in future years, they are probably right!
Well the original EV golf, the "City Stromer" is very collectable already, As are all Mk1 & Mk2 Golfs now, so I'd expect so.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts