1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,035 Posts
"The projected number of vehicles on the Group’s e-platforms is around 22 million. That means that the Volkswagen Group’s demand for batteries in Europe and Asia alone will increase to more than 300 GWh a year."
Ah! So they are planning for 12kWh BEVs?

Does this actually mean 1000 x 50kWh BEVs, 1000 x 80kWh BEVs and the rest will be the hybrid platform they have already announced.

I suppose the 22 million may indicated the production over a number of years, but it is difficult to say [anything] with VW.

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this actually mean
It is impossible to know what they mean.

300GWh / year is their announced requirement for batteries just for Europe and Asia.

VW's €1bn investment is far too small to satisfy 300GWh/year.

Tesla / Panasonic have invested between $4.5 and $5.0 billion in Gigafactory 1. I've seen both numbers. My guess is $5.0bn includes Model 3 drive unit production, which Panasonic are not invested in.

Gigafactory 1 output is presently 35GWh / year.

VW's investment is roughly 1/4 of the Panasonic / Tesla plant. Assuming battery per-unit capacity improves at 10% per year and the plant opens in 2021, VW's plant will produce roughly 10.5 GWh per year. The rest of the 300GWh/year will have to come from other suppliers.

Tesla and Panasonic freeze spending on $4.5bn Gigafactory

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Good news, but when will there be a substantial investment in the UK for battery production...
What about the Sunderland AESC battery plant? It is building modules for 40kWh packs. AESC is now mostly owned by Envision. Nissan have a 20% stake.

AESC are also building the 62kWh modules, perhaps at Smyrna.

AESC have a total production capacity of 7.5GWh / year. I think only the Smyrna and Sunderland plants are operating.

A new AESC-Envision plant announced in China will have an annual capacity of 20GWh.

==============================

Companies want certainty about trading outside the UK before they will plunk down billions for a new battery plant here.

We can't say more than that without breaking the rules about discussing the B-word. I'll delete any posts that go off topic.

=====================

China: AESC builds 20 GWh battery cell plant - electrive.com
Nissan's battery business sold to Envision - electrive.com

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,035 Posts
"Are spending" is probably a strange German use of the present tense I am unaware of.

What is the story based on?

·
Super Moderator
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The exact quote is "Volkswagen, which aims to sell 3m electric cars a year by 2025, is spending €50bn securing access to batteries, while Daimler is spending €20bn over the next decade."

The FT story is mainly about Volvo. They just announced deals that ramp to 500,000 BEVs per year in 2025.

Discuss Volvo in this thread.
Volvo / Polestar sign large battery contracts

·
Registered
999 Posts
"Are spending" is probably a strange German use of the present tense I am unaware of.

What is the story based on?
I think the whole story came out last year, when VW announced an investment of over €40B in batteries. But when you read it through it was over an extended period, something like 10 or 15 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts