Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After calling a number of times - calls not returned - I have finally spoken to VW UK customer services regarding a case I logged over a week ago - brand new (never driven) ID3 rendered un-drivable due to update. This isn’t an old ID3, it was only received by the dealer about 3 weeks ago.

Unbelievably VW customer services claim to be unaware of any problems - they also claim that VW Germany have not passed any information to them about cars failing the 2.1 update or being rendered in-drivable.

I really think this is a complete shambles

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,875 Posts
After calling a number of times - calls not returned - I have finally spoken to VW UK customer services regarding a case I logged over a week ago - brand new (never driven) ID3 rendered un-drivable due to update. This isn’t an old ID3, it was only received by the dealer about 3 weeks ago.

Unbelievably VW customer services claim to be unaware of any problems - they also claim that VW Germany have not passed any information to them about cars failing the 2.1 update or being rendered in-drivable.

I really think this is a complete shambles
Yes, tell them to get themselves a logon to Speak EV and get their ass skilled up.

Have you exhausted the options with your dealer? What do you want VW Customer Services to do?

Have you taken delivery of the car yet, ie have you purchased it/signed papers etc?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve not taken delivery - was due to collect two weeks ago, but car failed the update and was in un-drivable, I was notified the evening before. Car is registered in my name.

I’ve paid the balance on the car, the remainder was part ex.

The dealer has been great, they even found me a new identical car, had it shipped from another dealer etc. Sadly it arrived the morning of the car grant changes. As it wasn’t registered, it didn’t qualify, so without paying £3K more, I couldn’t have it.

Firstly, I’d like VW to admit there’s a problem, then I’d like a guaranteed delivery date. Some compensation wouldn’t go amiss

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
I’ve not taken delivery - was due to collect two weeks ago, but car failed the update and was in un-drivable, I was notified the evening before. Car is registered in my name.

I’ve paid the balance on the car, the remainder was part ex.

The dealer has been great, they even found me a new identical car, had it shipped from another dealer etc. Sadly it arrived the morning of the car grant changes. As it wasn’t registered, it didn’t qualify, so without paying £3K more, I couldn’t have it.

Firstly, I’d like VW to admit there’s a problem, then I’d like a guaranteed delivery date. Some compensation wouldn’t go amiss
In fairness then, it’s not VWs fault that the Grant system changed as they were about to sort you out.

It’s not unusual that a customer service rep would be unaware of the exact detail of what a few on here are experiencing, they probably rarely get that deeply involved in technical issues unless the case requires it, so it probably is a genuine initial response.

Their role is to intervene when you can’t get satisfaction from your dealer, and by the sounds of it they’re doing all they can in the circumstances?

I’m sure that the dealer want the same as you, ie the car out of their workshop and delivered to you.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,960 Posts
I think yours is the first newly built car I have heard of failing the update, my car had the update done without any problem.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
I think yours is the first newly built car I have heard of failing the update, my car had the update done without any problem.
I suspect if it was with the dealer 3 weeks ago, taking into account shipping etc it was probably on ME2.0.

·
Registered
481 Posts
And we are assuming all of VW customer services are oblivious to the problem when it could be a single (or small number of) operator with their finger in their bum looking for a pulse...

Still, that doesn't really help people in your position.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have just spoken with them regarding my on going saga and they definitely know there are issues. She even told me some control units were en route now and would be with retailers on Tuesday.

My issue isn't a control unit, but she assumed it would be and gave out that info. So they definitely know.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps VW need to give their staff better training then. I couldn’t even get them to acknowledge there was a problem, let alone provide an ETA.
I always judge suppliers on their ability / attitude when handling customer concerns - in my experience / opinion, WV UK are failing miserably

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
And we are assuming all of VW customer services are oblivious to the problem when it could be a single (or small number of) operator with their finger in their bum looking for a pulse...
Or the "official" response vs the actual one. Imagine the outcry if VW said "yes, we're aware that it's royally fucked, have fun folks". Having worked in customer services (but not at VW), I'm pretty certain that the (horribly underpaid) customer service operator is saying what they've been told to say, and taking the bullet without being given the pay packet to match. The number of times I had to say "we are not aware of..." even though everybody was talking about it in the canteen is ridiculous. So glad I got out of that job - minimum wage sets a pretty low limit on how much shit you're willing to put up with, especially when you can't afford the products that people are complaining about.

Not to say that the OP's complaints aren't valid, I'm just feeling a little solidarity with the poor sod on the other end of the phone.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well as things stand (trained or nit), they are about to have another rejected car to deal with.

I totally agree that they are underpaid and perhaps saying what they are being told, but based on comments on here, they are clearly giving out mixed messages.

Regardless of training, pay, issue or no issue - it’s still clearly a VW problem

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
I think they are trained - not to admit to a customer that there is a known issue.
If they ever need an expert at trolling, they’ll know where to come.

Who knew you only paid off the forums biggest antagoniser so that you could take his place. 🤷

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well as things stand (trained or nit), they are about to have another rejected car to deal with.

I totally agree that they are underpaid and perhaps saying what they are being told, but based on comments on here, they are clearly giving out mixed messages.

Regardless of training, pay, issue or no issue - it’s still clearly a VW problem
The whole losing the £3k grant thing is enough to increase the amount of time I'm likely to wait before pressing the 'reject' button. I couldn't afford as good an EV as an ID.3 Family trim for the money I'll get back now that the grant has disappeared... so I would have to get to the point that I'm so irritated by the whole thing that I'm willing to replace it with a lesser car.

Not saying I won't get to that point sooner or later, but I'm not there yet.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The whole losing the £3k grant thing is enough to increase the amount of time I'm likely to wait before pressing the 'reject' button.
I'm fairly certain that should not make any difference. They are obliged to exchange the car like-for-like at no cost to you if any of my research during my saga was correct.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'm fairly certain that should not make any difference. They are obliged to exchange the car like-for-like at no cost to you if any of my research during my saga was correct.
Are they, or could they choose to offer a refund instead? If the replacement costs them £3k more than the one they sold to me, it would probably be cheaper for them to just tell me I can have my money back instead.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Are they, or could they choose to offer a refund instead? If the replacement costs them £3k more than the one they sold to me, it would probably be cheaper for them to just tell me I can have my money back instead.
Although it eventually didn't go that far, the dealer told me they were looking for a new Family to replace mine. It was before the grant changes, but it would still have cost them more to exchange as I got mine heavily discounted when they were shifting them in November. Who knows what really goes on in the background or who gets paid or pays for which part of the deal...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For me, it’s as much about attitude as anything else. I like the ID3, what I don’t like, it the shambles around the software / hardware issues and complete lack of clarity from VW UK. I’ve lost confidence in the product - if the car is so flaky that VW can’t even identify the problem cars by component, prior to them failing, how can they assure me, that some future upgrade isn’t going to cause other problems.

I’ve heard of cars having new control modules fitted only to find that some other module then fails, there is even something somewhere about an upgrade failing due to a version of windscreen camera installed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
there is even something somewhere about an upgrade failing due to a version of windscreen camera installed.
I suspect that is probably a case of internet whispers getting it wrong. There's a comms module in the roof by the camera that has been known to fail (perhaps it's a single unit).

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
21,583 Posts
If they ever need an expert at trolling, they’ll know where to come.

Who knew you only paid off the forums biggest antagoniser so that you could take his place. 🤷
Truth hurts I guess.

I'd say the same thing about a number of OEMs, not just VW.

But every interaction I'd had with them so far has been a turn off, yes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts