Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The app was showing my car as unlocked earlier today and I couldn’t login when I tried the webpage instead. I think maybe it panics when there’s not much of a signal but I also think the system isn’t very stable. It’s great when it’s working as it should though and that’s most of the time (for me, at least).
We got a e-Golf on Friday and signed up to the We-connect App straight away.
Over the weekend no issues but then tonight it won't connect to the car. It says the car is unlocked and driving but can't show me where it is on a map as it says "sorry the position of your vehicle is unavailable. EIther your vehicle is moving or your last parking position was not sent"

Any ideas how to resolve this?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Unfortunately for We-Connect issues you really do need to get VW involved. Once they've fiddled with it, it seems to be reliable - has been fine for my car (GTE) for 6 months.
Try the obvious like waiting 24 hours for it to update, force an update by pulling all the way down from the top and maybe if you feel brave pull the telematics fuse and reinsert it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Had a different error today to usual, a sad cat! And it seems my car can't connect either at 5pm, but was fine at lunchtime. I'd seriously struggle to justify this "service" once the 3 years subscription expires.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,210 Posts
Not just me then. Wanted to switch the car over to charge at night as I charge daytime at work and need to flip. Guess I'll have to get my shoes on.

·
Registered
149 Posts
SInce the server outage 2 weeks ago, for me the system has been unstable.
Prior to this it was reliable,

Do any of the other EV brands have App/Server issues, or is it just VW, any one know?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Finally spoke with VW rep, they've been having server issues since yesterday morning. They anticipate it will be fixed by this afternoon. Fingers crossed.

This sort of thing puts me off an ID vehicle.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
Finally spoke with VW rep, they've been having server issues since yesterday morning. They anticipate it will be fixed by this afternoon. Fingers crossed.

This sort of thing puts me off an ID vehicle.
This is the problem with legacy car makers trying to get into IT and compete with Silicon Valley. I guess they know how to paint and screw a car together though ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
App not working for me either now. It's generally awful at the best of times but completely useless now just as the bad weather is hitting.

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,210 Posts
Still not working :(

I had an i3 before the Passat. While it wasnt perfect at least I could start the heating to defrost/demist the car on cold days or switch easily from daytime charging to off peak charging. The connect app has never really had success for me. And like above I won't be buying a ID.3 because of it as it's going to be based on the same back end.

I've just had a better idea anyway... going to change the departure timers so it charges when I get into work instead of just the overnight charge. Then I can avoid connect app ;) I empty the battery each way on my commute plus a couple of miles on petrol.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Wasn't working for me last night, first time I've tried for 3-4 days. I could log in and see the details of the car but they weren't correct as it said the car was unlocked and not plugged in when it sat on the drive plugged in and locked. I tried to change the timer but that was pointless.
I had to go outside and sit in the car to make the changes, seems such an effort now I'm used to making changes on my phone in the warm.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You would think that they would put up a message on the App and the Online portal that they are having problems. Communication! So much for connected services.

Was working well until recently, they had to mess with it.

The VW Carnet page should say: Expect frequent service disruption, cannot always be relied upon.

Response I got from the Carnet team this morning.

Please be aware that currently neither the We Connect application nor the web portal are available due to ongoing technical difficulties. Our technical team is aware of the issue and working hard to restore your services.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience and would like to thank you for your understanding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a new 2019 eGolf on 29 September here in the USA. Installed the VW app on my Android phone and used it that weekend just great. Then, VW announced the roll-out of the new 2.0 app. The original app stopped working and I deleted it from my phone. The new "app" isn't really an app at all. When I click on it, all it does is open a web browser on the VW website where I then have to enter my email address, click enter, wait... enter my password, click enter, wait... select my car from what might be a list of cars if I owned more than one VW, wait... enter my four digit PIN for my car, click enter, wait... Then it brings up a screen showing the status of my car. Then, if I click on any of the categories - say if I click on the battery, I then wait for a few seconds and it brings up the same visual display that I used to have on the old app.

It's frustrating that with the old app, my phone was my token to get into the system and I didn't have to go through multiple levels of user name, password, and PIN security. I could just open the app and see the status of my car and turn on my defrost.

Yesterday morning was the first time it's been below freezing when I was getting ready to leave, so I went through the multiple steps of logging in to try and tell my car to turn on climate control and turn on the defrost. When I clicked on the button to turn on the climate control, the screen just went blank. It wouldn't work. Tried rebooting. No luck.

When I got downstairs, I got on my computer and tried using the VW website to access my car and turn on the climate control. The Firefox browser told me the VW website's security certificate had expired and it was not safe and would not allow me to open the website. Then I tried Google Chrome. That allowed me to open the website, go through the multiple layers of login, and finally allowed me to turn on the climate control in my car.... but by then it was time for me to leave and a moot point.

I'd rather go back to the old app that just worked straight from my phone.

·
Registered
151 Posts
As some who works in IT ( that's me opened up then) I am surprised that VW have very different approaches to each region. I can understand some differences in facilities per model and that does vary from region to region. But to me that should be a data configuration rather than whole different apps. I mean that the fewer apps to maintain, update, create etc. the more work is needed. There's already three delivery targets: iOS, Android, Web Browsers. They don't need to multiply that by multiple regional variations.

They clearly need to get tied up to AWS (Amazon Web Services) or Azure or (another global cloud service provider) and get some resiliency in their servers and apps. In these days, the "A server is down" is more of a commercial expenditure excuse than any IT failure. Don't follow the example of BA! I can well imagine the IT people saying I told you that adding resiliency wold cost xMillion and now you have lost 3xMillion because you said it was too expensive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I would love to see WeConnect become Apple Homekit enabled asap. I get pee'd off over last 2+ yrs logging into the app as its logged me out since last visit, clicking and waiting to go through to the charging page, blah, blah, blah. Often takes 3-5mintues in the evening before bed or after the alarm has gone off to pre set or immediately heat the car lets say. Saying 'hey Siri' pre heat my car. Or set departure time at 6.30am would be far more appreciated from my position..........

As VW have employed Apple's CarPlay, it should be easy to employ Homekit as they are already partly signed up to the Apple Eco System

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would love to see WeConnect become Apple Homekit enabled asap. I get pee'd off over last 2+ yrs logging into the app as its logged me out since last visit, clicking and waiting to go through to the charging page, blah, blah, blah. Often takes 3-5mintues in the evening before bed or after the alarm has gone off to pre set or immediately heat the car lets say. Saying 'hey Siri' pre heat my car. Or set departure time at 6.30am would be far more appreciated from my position..........

As VW have employed Apple's CarPlay, it should be easy to employ Homekit as they are already partly signed up to the Apple Eco System
That's a great idea! It might be interesting to see what the ID. 3 does to the WeConnect. I would hope that the e-Golf would get some beneficial trickle down changes and additions. Clearly the largely rebadging of CarNet to WeConnect is a start. But reliability is/was a VW selling point and the software aspects need to be up there. It's not hard to make these services reliable - especially across Europe. Just investment - and there's the rub.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Slightly related - VW are using Continental hardware to provide OTA updating for the ID series.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Slightly related - VW are using Continental hardware to provide OTA updating for the ID series.

I was just reading that too. Finding a link to:

Makes me wonder if VW are using Continental for a lot of the in-car stuff:
Radar, Electric locks, AR etc.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts