Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2017 LEAF 30
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I told the Mercedes salesman I lived on Waiheke Island. He replied "Ah yes, Waiheke, the place LEAFs go to die." It got me thinking.

The last time I rode in a LEAF was over a decade ago, when we held an e-bike expo - our charitable trust brought in the first mid-mount motors ever made, sparking the ebike revolution that has changed the face of transport in NZ. A local who started Blue Cars on the island brought over what I believe was the very first LEAF to be imported into New Zealand. It was quiet, but otherwise was a generic Japanese car. I was far more interested in ebikes, and confession time, was a petrol head with a Bristol 411, Alfa 105 Spider and an 82' G Wagon in the garage. But times change. Filling up the G Wagon now costs $145 and gets me 112 miles. The SLK is better, but still will be about 50 cents a kilometre.

So, last month, at a family Christmas dinner, my cousin - a serious off-grid guy with chickens and a Tesla, said he would give me his old LEAF for free. Given that petrol will be NZ$4/litre (about US$10/gallon) in April, I took him up on the offer. But he came back to me to say it was a 2011 when he looked at it, he found the battery was kaput. As a nice guy (who inherited a lot of money that he is determined to give away before he dies), he instead told me to go out and look for one which he would pay for.

I found a 2017 30X (or G - hard to tell) JDM model at a luxury dealership that took it in trade for a fancy BMW. They knew nothing about electric cars, so listed it at about the trade value. Right colour, right interior (wife wanted a light interior), almost new Pirelli tyres, 146 km on full charge and from the custom registration plate he retained (searchable on but NZTA record), Google revealed the primary owner for 4 years was a tech geek, male, single, must have had OCD, never had food, drink, smoke, kids or gear in the car, kept it garaged and no dents, dings or scratches and did not live near the sea (we do). The dealer agreed to convert the head unit and dash to English as part of the deal.

So, job one is trying to find leather seat covers for front and back. I've had great luck with AliExpress, but none of the vendors do custom for Leaf. I can't justify big bucks, so I've posted a query asking if anyone knows what other models of Nissan use same or similar seats. By leather, I mean fake leather (PU or similar name) that looks as good as real leather and lasts.

I've also ordered a OBD-II blue tooth dongle to play with Leaf Spy, and, since the wakeup call of shortages during COVID, I am now researching what size solar I need to become energy independent. We already get our water from rainwater harvesting (60,000 litres of storage) and farm a lot of our food on our land.

As a luxury dealer they had an excellent photographer. Below are photos of the actual car in their showroom. Hard to believe it was 6 years old with 64,000 km on it.

And to explain the salesman's Waiheke crack, most of the island has a 30-40 km/h speed limit with the main road 50 km/h between the 30 km/h villages and a short rural straight where one can blaze along at 60. Distance from the ferry at the western end of the island to the last beach village is 12 km and the supermarket halfway between, thus the island has more LEAFs per capita than anywhere else in NZ... with 4-bar cars happily running with an overnight charge.

Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side-view mirror Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Car

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Window

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Fixture

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting White Hood

Wheel Tire Car Hood Automotive tire

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Gadget

· Registered
2,167 Posts
. Right colour, right interior (wife wanted a light interior), almost new Pirelli tyres, 146 km on full charge and from the custom registration plate he retained (searchable on but NZTA record), Google revealed the primary owner for 4 years was a tech geek, male, single, must have had OCD, never had food, drink, smoke, kids or gear in the car, kept it garaged and no dents, dings or scratches and did not live near the sea (we do).
Yeah, I'd definitely not want a car someone had done gear in. :)

· Premium Member
728 Posts
An enjoyable read! That really does look like it’s come straight out of the showroom…

Reactions: DuRam
1 - 3 of 3 Posts