Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now. I've had my heart set on a Golf GTE. I've been doing lots of research, to make sure the car is for me - and It is!

However with the MK8 GTE releasing later this year, should I wait? Would the price of the MK7.5 would drop? What's peoples thoughts?

Ok on to the new 13kWh battery. So the new MK8 GTE will come with a new 13kWh battery giving an range of 43 miles. The new battery is supposed to be more energy-dense i.e. almost the same physical size as the MK7.5 GTE but with more capacity. So the question is:

Does anyone know if the original 8.7kWh battery will be discontinued? As anyone have to have one swapped or changed? And what did VW say?

Totally understand not everyone will have the answers but I just thought I'll put it out there.

Thanks in advance
SC

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went full electric as seems pretty pointless buying a battery car with reduced range for a premium price as there are plenty of evs to cover most peoples journey.

To answer your question a bigger battery would definitely be better and if it were me I would definitely wait for the new one.

I have an e-golf do 350/week in it for £2-4/week in electricity all off my home charger.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
With a GTE and ID3 costing about the same it would be hard to buy a GTE with 43 mile range when an ID3 can go 250 miles on a charge, has nearly the same performance, and will have lower running costs.

IMO - you'd have to be running a GTE as a sales-rep car covering 200+ miles a day to justify it over the ID3 - at which point you'd ask why are you buying a plug in hybrid??

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,883 Posts
IMO - you'd have to be running a GTE as a sales-rep car covering 200+ miles a day to justify it over the ID3 - at which point you'd ask why are you buying a plug in hybrid??
At 200 miles it will still be very difficult to justify. I would say at least 300miles a day, would be needed to accommodate for the petrol use/cost.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,483 Posts
“Up to 43miles for comparison purposes only” . Don’t assume that 39actual mile commute will be emissions free.

People will not be able to have a new 13battery swapped into their old 7.5gte, and vw have stopped selling the golf version.

The new 13kw Gte wil go noticeably further vs older and a if BEV doesn’t suit you (yet) then it could be a great stepping stone.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I went full electric as seems pretty pointless buying a battery car with reduced range for a premium price as there are plenty of evs to cover most peoples journey.

To answer your question a bigger battery would definitely be better and if it were me I would definitely wait for the new one.

I have an e-golf do 350/week in it for £2-4/week in electricity all off my home charger.
Assuming 3.5mi/kw you get 100kw of electricity for £2-£4? Thats 2-4p per unit..... Who's your supplier as we'll all want to be with them!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a GTE and ID3 costing about the same it would be hard to buy a GTE with 43 mile range when an ID3 can go 250 miles on a charge, has nearly the same performance, and will have lower running costs.

So I'm hoping when the MK8 GTE comes out the MK7.5 would go down in price more. Currently a decent MK7.5 GTE Advance is about £19k. I'm not looking to purchase at MK8 as it would be out my price range.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I think there will be a market for the new Mk8 GTE, but now the grant has been cancelled on hybrids, this makes the new GTE a lot less attractive regarding cost alone.
I just feel this is a massive premium to pay, just to have a car that can run on pure electric for about 30 miles.
The second hand price of the 7.5 will drop very slightly I think when the new model arrives, this is normal practice.
But at this price, I think a move to a BEV would be a better long term option.
All the major manufactures are making a big push to sell plugin hybrids this year.
Back in 2015 when the GTE was released, no other company was really interested in bringing a plugin to the market.
That was almost 5 years ago and now they are ALL at it !.
Not necessary because the people are screaming for them all of a sudden.
NO - They are just trying to string out the use of ICE cars due to the huge profit margins on them.
Promoting and selling more hybrids, buys them more time and profit.
The manufactures are stalling for time, anybody who has entered a show room to enquire about the purchase of a EV - will most likely leave after being actively discouraged from their considered purchase.
Remember, with a hybrid you are a slave to servicing costs on two power trains.
The GTE has a very rigid service time scale of every 12 months, or 10,000 miles ( which ever arrives first ).
So, as the car ages you are faced with increased service spends, that is up and above the normal oil & filter change.
The GTE is a marvellous piece of engineering without a doubt.
But it can be expensive to repair should anything happen to the hybrid system.
I owned a 2015 GTE for over four years and it was a brilliant "Toe in the Water" car.
But in that four years, I feel things have moved on a lot !.
Hybrids now just feel a bit "Old School" now in 2020.
The so called "Self Charging Hybrids" have really watered down the effect of a good plugin hybrid.
I feel all hybrids will be "tarred" with the same brush now in only a few short years.
Some people have been totally sucked into the whole media campaign on hybrids.
They are sold to customers who believe they are going to achieve fabulous fuel economy by going with hybrid system.
"And look, you don't even have to bother charging it either, sir - brilliant".
If I was ANYBODY in the market for a new hybrid right now, I would say only this.
Think long and hard before buying a new hybrid over a BEV !.
Ev's ARE the future, hybrids are only "Stop Gap" in the market right now created by the manufactures.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's input, from what I'm reading BEV maybe the better long term solution.

Maybe for another forum altogether, but if you were in my shoes. You have up to 20k to spend on a EV. Would it be an e-Golf? Or something else?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I've had a new battery in mine, done under the recall on the 2015 models. GOM went from 26 to 31. Might be an idea to look for a well cared for 2015 model that has a new battery. I expect the Mk8 will reduce prices on the MK7.5 and Mk7.

All the replies so far have focused on practical stuff like running costs. If it's purely about the economics and CO2 then buy a C1.

The GTE has a lot more to offer, its a fun, good looking car with Jekyll and Hyde at the press of a button.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Maybe for another forum altogether, but if you were in my shoes. You have up to 20k to spend on a EV. Would it be an e-Golf? Or something else?
This really depends on what type of EV you are looking for and if the range will suit your needs ?.
I have driven the e.Golf over 48 hours and it is a very nice car.
They are retiring the e.Golf in favour of the new ID3 so there is some good deals to be found on the e.Golf right now.
The latter versions have a bigger battery / range.
Do your home work first and see if it suits your requirements.
Having the ability to charge from home or at work is a massive advantage also.
You can get a grant from OLEV to have a wall box installed at home.
Get a test drive at your local dealership is the best advice I would offer.
There are a lot more EV's than you first think, some are smaller or larger, less or more range than the e.Golf also.
I now need a car with a higher ride height, so the e.Golf was a little to low for my old bones now!.
I have gone for a small SUV type EV - love it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Assuming 3.5mi/kw you get 100kw of electricity for £2-£4? Thats 2-4p per unit..... Who's your supplier as we'll all want to be with them!
I’m on octopus agile and yes my charging average per week is under £4 that covers my 75mi/day commute.

Mon/Tues is usually 1p/kw Wed/Thu 3.5p and Sat again 1-2p

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now. I've had my heart set on a Golf GTE. I've been doing lots of research, to make sure the car is for me - and It is!

However with the MK8 GTE releasing later this year, should I wait? Would the price of the MK7.5 would drop? What's peoples thoughts?

Ok on to the new 13kWh battery. So the new MK8 GTE will come with a new 13kWh battery giving an range of 43 miles. The new battery is supposed to be more energy-dense i.e. almost the same physical size as the MK7.5 GTE but with more capacity. So the question is:

Does anyone know if the original 8.7kWh battery will be discontinued? As anyone have to have one swapped or changed? And what did VW say?

Totally understand not everyone will have the answers but I just thought I'll put it out there.

Thanks in advance
SC
If you've really done your sums on mileage and costs (including road tax), you'll be fine with a 7.5. An 11-15 mile one-way run appears to be the limit, and if you're careful you can go months without seeing a dino juice outlet. My record is 92 days (2600 miles) - so far!
What that will be with the Mk.8 can only be guessed at so as they're advertising it with 30% more battery you could get 30% more range or between 14 and 20 miles. Is that a big enough difference?
The7.5 is available now with low miles and good options and they seem to hold value very well too - I'd guess that will continue to be the case even after the Mk.8 launches - at a higher price and IMHO a far uglier interior.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,191 Posts
I heard a radio ad this morning from VW, basically offering a deal on mk7.5 Golfs - existing stock only, discounted price, lots of included stuff from the options list - the usual "run out" edition of an outgoing model.
Sadly, no mention of the GTE though

1 - 14 of 14 Posts