Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 311 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning, has any one else ordered a new leaf, Only to be told it’s a 4 month delivery timescale. If you have ordered a new one recently how long did it take?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have been looking at the possibility of upgrading our 30 to a 62, particularly given the discounts available through CarWow and earliest delivery on a Tekna, already ordered by the dealer, was end March.

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
Morning, has any one else ordered a new leaf, Only to be told it’s a 4 month delivery timescale. If you have ordered a new one recently how long did it take?
Honestly expect to see that pushed back by maybe another month. If you're being told 4 Months right now for a factory build that's unbelievably good. Probably one of the shortest waits for any EV at the moment.

If you're after a car quickly, it may be worth speaking to the dealer, as well as calling around others to see if there is any inventory or special dealer builds coming through. As long as you're not too picky about colors and specifications you should be able to get on the road much sooner. There is a small but steady stream of e+ Models being shipped off to various dealers nationwide at the moment.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
11,027 Posts
If you're being told 4 Months right now for a factory build that's unbelievably good. Probably one of the shortest waits for any EV at the moment.
It probably tells you something of the position of the car in the market.

·
Read Only
2,123 Posts
Due to the speed of building them in Sunderland but mainly because there is no shipping from outside the UK.
Partly yes. But other UK built EVs like the MINI are running at just under 6 months lead times now, or 8 months for some specific models.

The LEAF has dropped in popularity quite a lot throughout this year. I don’t think it’s that it’s a terrible car. But it’s getting old now. Parts of the design are a decade old now and a lot of people are looking for something a little more modern, up to date and exciting I think… While the Ariya definitely isn’t my kind of car, I think that’s going to give Nissan the boost to the EV sales figures they need.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've been dabbling in the EV trade for a while now, driven a wide variety of EV's. The Leaf might be based on old tech, but the E+ is great to drive. Well, as great as a FWD car can be. Handling is spot on, the controls are well weighted and the tech works without glitches or complications. It's quick and charges reasonably fast too on a 100kWh charger.
I don't think the IONOIQ 5 for example has a particularly better quality interior despite being almost double the price. Everything is more modern from the underlying drivetrain and battery tech to the cabin, but its not like they cost the same. Leaf E+ seems like a decent purchase even now.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
Partly yes. But other UK built EVs like the MINI are running at just under 6 months lead times now, or 8 months for some specific models.

The LEAF has dropped in popularity quite a lot throughout this year. I don’t think it’s that it’s a terrible car. But it’s getting old now. Parts of the design are a decade old now and a lot of people are looking for something a little more modern, up to date and exciting I think… While the Ariya definitely isn’t my kind of car, I think that’s going to give Nissan the boost to the EV sales figures they need.
So a Mini buyer has to wait 2 to 4 months longer? The OP said 4months for his Leaf.

The Leaf is also considerably larger, with more boost space and much quicker, so you are comparing chalk and cheese!

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
I've been dabbling in the EV trade for a while now, driven a wide variety of EV's. The Leaf might be based on old tech, but the E+ is great to drive. Well, as great as a FWD car can be. Handling is spot on, the controls are well weighted and the tech works without glitches or complications. It's quick and charges reasonably fast too on a 100kWh charger.
I don't think the IONOIQ 5 for example has a particularly better quality interior despite being almost double the price. Everything is more modern from the underlying drivetrain and battery tech to the cabin, but its not like they cost the same. Leaf E+ seems like a decent purchase even now.
For many ICE drivers, the cost to switch to an EV is too much so the more affordable Leaf makes it possible, whilst still having the space, performance and equally importantly, the reliability thanks to a well proven design.

The interior quality is far better than in my Golf, which has a particularly poor quality material on the seats and doors - it looks and feels like canvas.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF e+
515 Posts
Ordered early October, estimated late Feb delivery.

Yes it’s a bit dated (and has the Betamax of charging connectors) but great value now. Prices came down so they all qualify for the grant, Nissan do finance contribution (on a cheaper PCP rate than most) and there’s some discount to be had too.

E+ Tekna is now cheaper than a decent spec e208, Zoe, Corsa, etc and you get more space, bigger battery, a lot more power, decent adaptive cruise, etc. It was (a bit unfairly) compared with the Tesla Model 3 when it launched but there’s £15k difference in price now.

·
Registered
On order. MG ZS Trophy in Battersea Blue
116 Posts
I ordered a 62kWh e+Tekna (Vivid Blue/Black roof) on October 25th and was given an estimate of March/April '22 delivery. Dealer said they'd update me from time to time, not heard anything yet but after all, it's only been ordered a month so I'm not bothered about chasing them yet and anyway, it's given me time to sort out the EVSE in my garage. Fortunately, although I sold my car last August, my Wife has an ICE car and as we are retired, we can manage with one car for the time being. New cars are in short supply both now and for the foreseeable future so a long-ish wait for most models is par for the course presently.
Keith.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ordered early October, estimated late Feb delivery.

Yes it’s a bit dated (and has the Betamax of charging connectors) but great value now. Prices came down so they all qualify for the grant, Nissan do finance contribution (on a cheaper PCP rate than most) and there’s some discount to be had too.

E+ Tekna is now cheaper than a decent spec e208, Zoe, Corsa, etc and you get more space, bigger battery, a lot more power, decent adaptive cruise, etc. It was (a bit unfairly) compared with the Tesla Model 3 when it launched but there’s £15k difference in price now.
Same here. Ordered 13 October and expected March but no confirmed date yet. I got a good discount via Carwow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As for Teslas, the popularity of the LEAF and EVs on general means availability is s build rate constrained. If it weren't for an existing dealer network -- which I know is a problem for Ford and Chevy -- expect no haggling room, too.

I don't know the situation for Nissan and the LEAF. I think we did well on price because we paid cash (banker's checque) even if we had a 3 month wait.

And I don"t know situation in UK. This was for Massachusetts.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The difficulty with all car manufacturers presently is the relative scarcity of microchips resulting from temporary factory closures in the Far East due to the pandemic. One of the largest manufacturers Intel has stated not long ago that they don't expect to get back to pre-pandemic production levels until 2023 and their production tends to favour the 'Gadgets' (phones & other tech products) side of business rather than car manufacture. As there is so much 'Tech' in todays cars, it has the knock-on effect of supply difficulties for the component manufacturers which in turn means the car factories have had to reduce production to what they can source. On the plus side, at least in the UK, it's lead to quite a sizeable increase in demand for late model used cars with a considerable increase in part-exchange prices dealers are having to offer just to maintain stocks and sales, so it's not all bad news for car buyers if you don't want to wait for brand new and can find what you want from 'Nearly new' stocks. Most car manufacturers are not accepting dealer orders for stock, only confirmed customer orders at the moment, which my Nissan dealership told me is the case.
Keith.

·
Registered
Two Nissan Leaf e+
331 Posts
I can't comment re lead times but Autotrader shows that there are a handful of new Leafe+ in stock at various dealers around the country. Some are competitively priced too if you're willing to travel.

I do also see the transporters fully laden, heading South from the Washington plant early mornings on the motorway quite regularly. Very unscientific. But clearly some new cars are rolling off the lines.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used 'What Car's' dealer bidding which works the same way as 'Carwow' and likely others. Having looked on Autotrader the other day, I see that the Peterborough Nissan dealership has the exact spec and colour car I'm waiting for from the Nottinghamshire dealership, offering 'Immediate delivery' and at the same price, but I'm going to stick with the more local dealership and am prepared to wait, after all, why have a new car at this time of year with the bad weather? Mine is due March/April and I'm happy to wait, apart from the fact that it will be a 22 built car presumably, and the registration won't matter to me as I have a personal plate on retention which will be going on it anyway. If it arrives early, maybe late February, I'll leave it until March 1st as that will possibly make it worth slightly more if and when I come to sell.
Keith.

1 - 20 of 311 Posts