Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Wait time 62kw

51K views 526 replies 49 participants last post by  Charlas 
#1 ·
Morning, has any one else ordered a new leaf, Only to be told it’s a 4 month delivery timescale. If you have ordered a new one recently how long did it take?

#3 ·
Honestly expect to see that pushed back by maybe another month. If you're being told 4 Months right now for a factory build that's unbelievably good. Probably one of the shortest waits for any EV at the moment.

If you're after a car quickly, it may be worth speaking to the dealer, as well as calling around others to see if there is any inventory or special dealer builds coming through. As long as you're not too picky about colors and specifications you should be able to get on the road much sooner. There is a small but steady stream of e+ Models being shipped off to various dealers nationwide at the moment.

#4 ·
If you're being told 4 Months right now for a factory build that's unbelievably good. Probably one of the shortest waits for any EV at the moment.
It probably tells you something of the position of the car in the market.

#8 ·
I've been dabbling in the EV trade for a while now, driven a wide variety of EV's. The Leaf might be based on old tech, but the E+ is great to drive. Well, as great as a FWD car can be. Handling is spot on, the controls are well weighted and the tech works without glitches or complications. It's quick and charges reasonably fast too on a 100kWh charger.
I don't think the IONOIQ 5 for example has a particularly better quality interior despite being almost double the price. Everything is more modern from the underlying drivetrain and battery tech to the cabin, but its not like they cost the same. Leaf E+ seems like a decent purchase even now.

#10 ·
I've been dabbling in the EV trade for a while now, driven a wide variety of EV's. The Leaf might be based on old tech, but the E+ is great to drive. Well, as great as a FWD car can be. Handling is spot on, the controls are well weighted and the tech works without glitches or complications. It's quick and charges reasonably fast too on a 100kWh charger.
I don't think the IONOIQ 5 for example has a particularly better quality interior despite being almost double the price. Everything is more modern from the underlying drivetrain and battery tech to the cabin, but its not like they cost the same. Leaf E+ seems like a decent purchase even now.
For many ICE drivers, the cost to switch to an EV is too much so the more affordable Leaf makes it possible, whilst still having the space, performance and equally importantly, the reliability thanks to a well proven design.

The interior quality is far better than in my Golf, which has a particularly poor quality material on the seats and doors - it looks and feels like canvas.

#11 · (Edited)
Ordered early October, estimated late Feb delivery.

Yes it’s a bit dated (and has the Betamax of charging connectors) but great value now. Prices came down so they all qualify for the grant, Nissan do finance contribution (on a cheaper PCP rate than most) and there’s some discount to be had too.

E+ Tekna is now cheaper than a decent spec e208, Zoe, Corsa, etc and you get more space, bigger battery, a lot more power, decent adaptive cruise, etc. It was (a bit unfairly) compared with the Tesla Model 3 when it launched but there’s £15k difference in price now.

#14 ·
Ordered early October, estimated late Feb delivery.

Yes it’s a bit dated (and has the Betamax of charging connectors) but great value now. Prices came down so they all qualify for the grant, Nissan do finance contribution (on a cheaper PCP rate than most) and there’s some discount to be had too.

E+ Tekna is now cheaper than a decent spec e208, Zoe, Corsa, etc and you get more space, bigger battery, a lot more power, decent adaptive cruise, etc. It was (a bit unfairly) compared with the Tesla Model 3 when it launched but there’s £15k difference in price now.
Same here. Ordered 13 October and expected March but no confirmed date yet. I got a good discount via Carwow.

#13 ·
I ordered a 62kWh e+Tekna (Vivid Blue/Black roof) on October 25th and was given an estimate of March/April '22 delivery. Dealer said they'd update me from time to time, not heard anything yet but after all, it's only been ordered a month so I'm not bothered about chasing them yet and anyway, it's given me time to sort out the EVSE in my garage. Fortunately, although I sold my car last August, my Wife has an ICE car and as we are retired, we can manage with one car for the time being. New cars are in short supply both now and for the foreseeable future so a long-ish wait for most models is par for the course presently.
Keith.

#15 ·
As for Teslas, the popularity of the LEAF and EVs on general means availability is s build rate constrained. If it weren't for an existing dealer network -- which I know is a problem for Ford and Chevy -- expect no haggling room, too.

I don't know the situation for Nissan and the LEAF. I think we did well on price because we paid cash (banker's checque) even if we had a 3 month wait.

And I don"t know situation in UK. This was for Massachusetts.

#16 ·
The difficulty with all car manufacturers presently is the relative scarcity of microchips resulting from temporary factory closures in the Far East due to the pandemic. One of the largest manufacturers Intel has stated not long ago that they don't expect to get back to pre-pandemic production levels until 2023 and their production tends to favour the 'Gadgets' (phones & other tech products) side of business rather than car manufacture. As there is so much 'Tech' in todays cars, it has the knock-on effect of supply difficulties for the component manufacturers which in turn means the car factories have had to reduce production to what they can source. On the plus side, at least in the UK, it's lead to quite a sizeable increase in demand for late model used cars with a considerable increase in part-exchange prices dealers are having to offer just to maintain stocks and sales, so it's not all bad news for car buyers if you don't want to wait for brand new and can find what you want from 'Nearly new' stocks. Most car manufacturers are not accepting dealer orders for stock, only confirmed customer orders at the moment, which my Nissan dealership told me is the case.
Keith.

#21 ·
Very true, though it's the semi-conductors not the microchips which are in short supply. They take a few months to prepare, then along came covid and stopped the process. As everyone was stuck at home, demand for home entertainment went through the roof (games, tv, computers etc.) which used up stocks which the motor industry needed. Then, once we got going again, there was a hole in the supply chain which was going to be filled, but as always, sod's law came into effect. Nissan used two main suppliers for their boards, one in Japan and one in Texas. The Japanese factory was hit by fire and the Texas one by a freak snow storm which flattened the roof. When it all looked as if some sort of supply was going to come through, covid started hitting countries where other parts were sourced from. The situation has led to daily changes to the production plans. Strange thing is, despite there being high demand for the Leaf there are still quite a few sitting in dealers unsold, I've just ordered a pre-registered N-Connecta from a dealer in Durham, they had one other plus some brand new unregistered cars available. There's also a few in the Darlington branch. If you're prepared to buy what's available rather than put a special order in for a particular spec then you should be able to get into a new car in a matter of days, not months.

#17 ·
I can't comment re lead times but Autotrader shows that there are a handful of new Leafe+ in stock at various dealers around the country. Some are competitively priced too if you're willing to travel.

I do also see the transporters fully laden, heading South from the Washington plant early mornings on the motorway quite regularly. Very unscientific. But clearly some new cars are rolling off the lines.

#18 ·
I used 'What Car's' dealer bidding which works the same way as 'Carwow' and likely others. Having looked on Autotrader the other day, I see that the Peterborough Nissan dealership has the exact spec and colour car I'm waiting for from the Nottinghamshire dealership, offering 'Immediate delivery' and at the same price, but I'm going to stick with the more local dealership and am prepared to wait, after all, why have a new car at this time of year with the bad weather? Mine is due March/April and I'm happy to wait, apart from the fact that it will be a 22 built car presumably, and the registration won't matter to me as I have a personal plate on retention which will be going on it anyway. If it arrives early, maybe late February, I'll leave it until March 1st as that will possibly make it worth slightly more if and when I come to sell.
Keith.

#25 ·
I will be calling the dealership in a few days time once they reopen in the new year to see if they have any update on my cars delivery date (ordered October 25th, dealer 'Guesstimate' Feb/March 22). I was told at the time of order that delay was around 16 weeks so maybe I might get lucky and have a shorter wait time as the dealership has had a few cars arrive unexpectedly, in some cases several weeks earlier than originally stated. I suppose it depends on what spec models the factory are currently building, Xmas/New Year factory and supply chain shutdowns will also have a delaying effect, mine is a 62kWh e+Tekna in Vivid Blue/Black roof. It's a pity that Nissan don't have an app like Toyota where you can track the build status at the factory and expected arrival at the dealership, that'd save us keep pestering the dealerships for information.
Keith.

#27 ·
Ordered Wife's beginning Nov, latest estimate is March/April time (62e+tekna metalic Red/Gloss Black) has the self park/drive stuff, so possibly due to parts shortage, initial delivery was early Feb. So wouldn't hold out much hope. Friend has placed an order for a 40 in Red (base build colour) and been given 5 months on his late April.

#29 ·
Friend has placed an order for a 40 in Red (base build colour) and been given 5 months on his late April.
I hope your friend checks his car paintwork when it arrives. We went for a test drive at our local dealership (not where I eventually ordered from) and they had a base Red 62kWh e+Tekna in the showroom with atrocious 'Orange Peel' paintwork all over the car. Even my Wife, who is not really 'car-wise' noticed it and commented to the saleswoman who didn't reply, but if I were expected to pay upwards of around 34k for a car, then it better be up to scratch or it will be refused. I mentioned this to the sales person at the dealership we ordered from and said that we would be closely inspecting our car when it arrives before acceptance, so they are aware that we will not accept poor build quality. You would think that 'QC' would spot this before it being allowed out of the factory and promptly remedy defects from the point of brand reputation, maybe some customers are ok with that especially if it's a lease car, but in my case, I intend/hope to keep the car longer term, subject to it not developing serious faults, in which case, it'll be gone.
Keith.

#28 ·
That seems odd that Nissan have reduced the range of available colours. My second choice would have been the MagneticRed/Black roof, but at the time of my ordering, the full range was available. Initially I was going to go for the Bronze option (my previous car, Suzuki Vitara, was "Horizon Orange" and I like bold colours!) but decided on the Blue as I can't imagine many takers for the Bronze which might have extended my wait time even further. Luckily my Wife has an ICE car so even though we live in a rural village with a poor bus service, the wait time isn't too much of a problem for us.........never had to wait this long for a new car before though, so it's a bit frustrating, sure it'll be worth it in the end though!
Keith.

#32 ·
On my order form (ordered October 25th) it estimates March 31st but this is for a 62kWh e+Tekna in Vivid blue/Black roof, now a discontinued colour it seems, so wether that will have any effect on delivery time remains to be seen. I rang the dealer yesterday to see if they had an update at all, but 'Sales' didn't answer the phone and receptionist said she'd put a message through to ask them to ring me back, which they never did. After all, it's only a 35k car so why bother with 'Customer Service'! At almost 75, I may be old-fashioned, but I was taught to treat others as you would wish to be treated, and if this is how they treat a customer with an order, then it doesn't instil much confidence in them long term, anyone else had any dealings with Sandicliffe Nissan in Nottingham?
Keith.

#34 ·
Too true! I'm afraid that after a working lifetime dealing with all levels of idiots, I don't suffer fools gladly. The guy I served my time with started in business in 1964 and I'd worked as his apprentice with him for another company for around a year. Within a fortnight of leaving, he came and asked me to join him and built a business that is now a national company, all based on giving a service. He always said 'It takes years to build a business, and five minutes to lose it!' Unfortunately many sizeable businesses seem to have lost sight of that philosophy, if they ever had it in the first place!
Keith.

#37 ·
Fish Brothers gave me the best price (via 'What Car') by £80, but the distance from my home in Derbyshire to Swindon for collection negated any price advantage, Nottingham dealership is around 20 miles from me, so a 'No-Brainer' really. I've tried to find an email enquiry address as they still have not got back to me but can't find one, just tried again via their internet 'chat-line' and been told they will call me back with any update, so we'll see what happens now. Not a great experience so far, like banging your head against a brick wall, nice when you stop!
Keith.

#38 ·
I've just ordered a Leaf 40kwh N-connecta with Tusker cars on a salary sacrifice scheme, they are quoting 32 weeks delivery time which will be the end of August. I'm hoping that this is accurate as my current personal lease car isn't due back until the middle of August and I don't want it to arrive too early 😅

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.