Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
"Stuck" how? What's it doing (or not doing)?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you tried your 10mm spanner fix?
AA did that and no joy. Then while recovery was figuring out what to do got into D so have driven the 70 miles to destination. Drive error kicked in mile down road so made sure not to touch gear selector.

Clearly software in a worse state or some hardware in a bad way. Not a unique issue as others reporting it.

Now later in week get home and car to dealer on 15th

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,678 Posts
AA did that and no joy. Then while recovery was figuring out what to do got into D so have driven the 70 miles to destination. Drive error kicked in mile down road so made sure not to touch gear selector.

Clearly software in a worse state or some hardware in a bad way. Not a unique issue as others reporting it.

Now later in week get home and car to dealer on 15th
Glad you got back ok, and hope they find out what the issue is when it goes in.

Not what you need at the moment I expect. 😕

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
OMG - sorry I cannot believe this Was telling my VW loving partner about the problem with the ID3 as he said it looked like a fantastic car.

How is this car still legal on the road without being recalled and an immediate stop driving warning advice given to owners?!?!?!?!?!!?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,912 Posts
Car behaved all week, drive to work call out and now stuck. Lets see what happens.

Has anyone checked the health of the 12v battery? That's always my top bet for any gremlins.

As it's left you stranded I'd think you could reject it easily. The owners that do the less VW can think they can use owners as alpha testers for their crappy software. I thought the Corsa E software was ropey but it's nowhere near as bad as VW's.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
How is this car still legal on the road without being recalled and an immediate stop driving warning advice given to owners?!?!?!?!?!!?
It’s still “legal on the road” because the vast majority of them work as intended.

They are all being called in for a major software update, so that’s a recall of sorts.

As far as I know, any faults are just annoyances, and not dangerous.

Cars break down sometimes, even new ones. Calm yourself. 🙂

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s still “legal on the road” because the vast majority of them work as intended.

They are all being called in for a major software update, so that’s a recall of sorts.

Legality not sure.

warning lights not problem. Things like airbag off and inabillity to select reverse or go into drive its money for lawyers to debate.

will see how it is this morning and put on 12v charger anyway - aa reckon batt ok but not sure.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts

Right. This is annoying for the OP, and I hope the new software update sorts things for him or that it's an easily diagnosed hardware replacement needed. But people have lost all perspective on this forum, you'd think no warranty work had ever had to be carried out on any car in the history of motoring with all the doom and fury posted on here every time an ID.3 has a problem.

Has the ID.3 been more troublesome for owners on average so far than most car launches? Yes. But this was an entirely new platform for VW, with entirely new software. Add to that, VW went public to admit the software wasn't ready at launch but would be ready in early 2021. It was sold to customers with that caveat. Anyone who chose to ignore that caveat, in the knowledge that they would be furious any time a software bug surfaced, has to take their share of the blame in my book.

My guess is that once all cars are on 2.1 there will be far fewer ID.3s going in for fault fixes under warranty. But there will still be some even then because, at the end of the day, they're cars and that's life.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
Legality not sure.

warning lights not problem. Things like airbag off and inabillity to select reverse or go into drive its money for lawyers to debate.

will see how it is this morning and put on 12v charger anyway - aa reckon batt ok but not sure.
It’s not illegal for a car to breakdown, although I get where you’re coming from, and take the point that twice yours has left you stranded.

What software is it running now, I forget?

It sounds like you would benefit from getting it into the dealer a bit earlier than the 15th, or at least getting your dealer to put you in a loan car until your current appointment date?

If you need a car to attend call outs, which is what I think you said, then that’s what I’d be doing.

Put the onus on the dealer to sort it, make them earn their money, be insistent and make them tell you no.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s not illegal for a car to breakdown, although I get where you’re coming from, and take the point that twice yours has left you stranded.

What software is it running now, I forget?

It sounds like you would benefit from getting it into the dealer a bit earlier than the 15th, or at least getting your dealer to put you in a loan car until your current appointment date?

If you need a car to attend call outs, which is what I think you said, then that’s what I’d be doing.

Put the onus on the dealer to sort it, make them earn their money, be insistent and make them tell you no.
The warning and gear selector behaviour is common though. Ie drive mile and then no option for reverse. Parking nose first and waiting for reset is not good.

·
Premium Member
6,678 Posts
The warning and gear selector behaviour is common though. Ie drive mile and then no option for reverse. Parking nose first and waiting for reset is not good.
In your car, or generally? It’s not one I’ve heard of before, but then I’m not active on any other EV forums or Facebook groups.

If mine was doing that, it would have been in to get sorted a long time ago.

Don’t put up with it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
In your car, or generally? It’s not one I’ve heard of before, but then I’m not active on any other EV forums or Facebook groups.

If mine was doing that, it would have been in to get sorted a long time ago.

Don’t put up with it.
Agreed. Not sure why the OP is willing to put up with it until the 15th? If my ID.3 had left me stranded needing an AA call-out it would be in at the dealer the next day. If their fix for it is to wait until they can apply the 2.1 update, and they can't do that quite yet, you should be driving their courtesy car until they can.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed. Not sure why the OP is willing to put up with it until the 15th? If my ID.3 had left me stranded needing an AA call-out it would be in at the dealer the next day. If their fix for it is to wait until they can apply the 2.1 update, and they can't do that quite yet, you should be driving their courtesy car until they can.
And today goes into d and r at will but only rolling a few feet. Others might be able to through car at dealer but need car for work call out and 100 miles from dealer in bubble for healthcare purposes.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
And today goes into d and r at will but only rolling a few feet. Others might be able to through car at dealer but need car for work call out and 100 miles from dealer in bubble for healthcare purposes.
Right, but dealer should offer you a free courtesy car to drive in the meantime for a warranty repair on a fault that is significant enough to disable the car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right, but dealer should offer you a free courtesy car to drive in the meantime for a warranty repair on a fault that is significant enough to disable the car.
They claim 15th was best, once I know fathers appts this week will decide if stay or go home and pester dealer for earlier car.

Earlier was possible but no loaner.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts