Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a few weeks now me and my family stepped away from manual cars and towards two automatics. Not because of the same reasons though.

I noticed on the driveway of the highways that there seems to be a long pause before getting the full engine power. Accelerating from 50 km/h to 130 km/h on the driveway Most times (especially on the autobahn last vacation) i put down my foot to only accelerate on the straight driveway and keep the corners too it comfortable.

The moment i do that i feel myself waiting 0,5 to 1 second before it acctually gives me the sence of accelerating. I had no experience with automatics before but since this has a electric engine as support and GTE mode i did not exspect this much of a delay. In thw volvo v40 120hp i easily got to 130km/h without any delay in power.

Is this normal? Is there something that can be done about it?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry can't say I noticed it with either the gte nor egolf, but this was a problem with one of the i3's I have had the opportunity to drive. I suspect it is a setting, meant (but failing) to dumb down the generally very rapid acceleration. Hopefully someone knows all about this....?

·
Registered
88 Posts
The kickdown will give a revvy kind of response at medium speeds when booting it as car decides which gear it wants to be in. But it will still be rapid as electric will be maxed at this point. Not the same as flooring it from zero as it knows what it’s doing from a standstill.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so it could be that it feels like a pause because it first maximises the electric power, thinking about the right petrol engine settings and then going from 100 hp to 204 hp making it feel like really accelerating 0,5 sec. After applying full throttle.

The kickdown will give a revvy kind of response at medium speeds when booting it as car decides which gear it wants to be in. But it will still be rapid as electric will be maxed at this point. Not the same as flooring it from zero as it knows what it’s doing from a standstill.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Okay so it could be that it feels like a pause because it first maximises the electric power, thinking about the right petrol engine settings and then going from 100 hp to 204 hp making it feel like really accelerating 0,5 sec. After applying full throttle.
Hi dean, you’re right there is a slight pause from kick down, then lots of noise.... then u go. I’ve found much better if you’re reading the road is to manuall drop( depending on speed etc) 2 or even three gears first then when u put your foot down it’s pretty much instant .also if you rely on mid range instead of really wringing every last rev out it’s not as noisy and generally fast enough. Try it and see how it goes . Roge

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,879 Posts
Don’t forget you have to press the accelerator all the way to the carpet for D Mode kick down, that means going past the slight stop in the travel.

The quickest and least fussy way to access the full power in any mode is to downshift with the left paddle (1 or 2 gears down if necessary) and get the needle into the ‘boost’ zone.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don’t forget you have to press the accelerator all the way to the carpet for D Mode kick down, that means going past the slight stop in the travel.

The quickest and least fussy way to access the full power in any mode is to downshift with the left paddle (1 or 2 gears down if necessary) and get the needle into the ‘boost’ zone.
Tomorrow i will drive again. I will try downshifting just before full throttle. I hope there won't be too much of a struggle with the automatic gearbox.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
Tomorrow i will drive again. I will try downshifting just before full throttle. I hope there won't be too much of a struggle with the automatic gearbox.
It’s not really an ‘old skool’ automatic gearbox, in the sense it doesn’t have a torque converter. It’s really a dual clutch manual box that can do the shifting for you, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,857 Posts
So for a few weeks now me and my family stepped away from manual cars and towards two automatics. Not because of the same reasons though.

I noticed on the driveway of the highways that there seems to be a long pause before getting the full engine power. Accelerating from 50 km/h to 130 km/h on the driveway Most times (especially on the autobahn last vacation) i put down my foot to only accelerate on the straight driveway and keep the corners too it comfortable.

The moment i do that i feel myself waiting 0,5 to 1 second before it acctually gives me the sence of accelerating. I had no experience with automatics before but since this has a electric engine as support and GTE mode i did not exspect this much of a delay. In thw volvo v40 120hp i easily got to 130km/h without any delay in power.

Is this normal? Is there something that can be done about it?
How much charge is in the battery?
Have you tried it in GTE mode?
Are you really flooring the pedal to get lockdown? Acceleration from 50kph is normally excellent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It’s not really an ‘old skool’ automatic gearbox, in the sense it doesn’t have a torque converter. It’s really a dual clutch manual box that can do the shifting for you, if that makes sense?
It is more that i hope it doesn't shift for me between me shifting back and flooring it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How much charge is in the battery?
Have you tried it in GTE mode?
Are you really flooring the pedal to get lockdown? Acceleration from 50kph is normally excellent.
Yes every time. I think it is the time it takes for the car to downshift from 6 to 4 before it goes full throttle.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
It is more that i hope it doesn't shift for me between me shifting back and flooring it.
It shouldn’t. Once you pull the left paddle to change down, the gear display wil change from D6 to 5 or 4 depending on how many gears you shifted down, which indicates you’re in manual mode. For the next few seconds it won’t change gear unless you say so, unless you redline it or let the Rebs drop too far.

To go back to full auto, press and hold the right paddle until it says D in front of the gear indicator number again. If you don’t do that last step, the car will revert to full auto after a short period anyway.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So i tried it serveral times. Shifting back before trying to engage kickdown. First try is shifting down from 5th to 3th and reengaged the automatic then engaging the kickdown. A shame 3th gear was too low and it had to shift back to second.

Next try i got to 2th gear and wanted to see if it would switch back to automatic when engaging the kickdown. It doesn't.

Then i tried shifting myself at the right moments. I got very good acceleration without any pauses but it didn't feel like the 204 hp more like the 150 hp petrol engine with the electric engine just making the gear changes smooth.

Third and fourth time i reengaged the automatic holding the right paddle after shifting. The third it did not shift up before kick down was engaged but the time it took to go from semi manual to automatic too as much time as the automatic shifting down. The fourth time i put it back just a fraction earlier to make up for the time the switch takes but it shifted up just too early.

·
Premium Member
7,879 Posts
Ok, sounds like you need to take control of the gearbox, rather than the other way around?!!

Maybe you just need to spend some more time with it though?

But basically, once you flick a paddle, it’s in manual mode and won’t change unless you tell it too. The only exception to that is if you hit the rev limit, in which case it will change up, or if you let the revs drop too far, where it will change down.

The DSG box is one of the fastest changing ‘auto’ boxes out there, it can be outwitted sometimes especially if you’re in two minds yourself, but during acceleration the box pre-selects the next gear up so switching is fast. If you change your mind, there may be a slight delay whilst it deselects the gear it thought you may have wanted next and selects the other one.

When manually changing down for an overtake, bear in mind you’ll need to be quite high in the rev range before you get all the assistance of the electric motor as well (if you’re in hybrid for instance). If youre in GTE mode then the assistance is a bit more all through the range.

It’s much easier to demonstrate than it is to explain to be honest!

Try selecting 2nd gear via the paddles, then keep your foot down and let the revs build towards the redline, then pull the right paddle to select 3rd. You should feel all your horses being deployed there. Oh, and make sure you’ve got some battery charge obviously!

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,557 Posts
Sounds like you want a full on battery EV. Instant power :D

After being used to instant power in my Nissan Leaf, I've been caught out by the DSG a few times in my non-hybrid. Cruising at slow speed and suddenly want maximum acceleration will catch out all auto boxes. DSG more so, when you happen to demand power that needs two downshifts.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay i am going to try the 3 to 4 thousand rpm range. But seems a bad idea to really use it on a hybrid more than needed. When in automatic I often change gear with it in my mind and it is absolutely spot on. Maybe in manual it is more likely to choose electric or petrol and not both.

The thing is that it can not yet read my mind prepairing high acceleration when i think about it.

For the upcoming months i wil try to get the hang of the semi automatic shifting. Especially when it is switching from full EV to petrol and back. Thanks for everyone's input last days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts