Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Waitrose confirms charging will remain free

11K views 70 replies 16 participants last post by  Derekosb 
#1 ·
I've started a new thread as previous dialogue had strayed from the 'thread'.

I've heard from Waitrose on the subject of ChargeMaster chargepoints at Waitrose Stores and here is the text:

"Thank you for getting in touch.
We currently do not charge for using the charge points in any our car park. Some of our car parks are not owned or run by us so we will not have any control if charge points are provided.
I have also been advised that the Chargemaster website will show Waitrose as being free to use once the charges have been introduced."

Reading between the lines, it appears that Charge Master may have tried to 'pull a fast one' on Waitrose; however, Waitrose have made Charge Master, withdraw charging in those locations where they control the parking! Chichester may become Chargeable - which will make trip to Goodwood problematic for me!

As post previously, I have also been in touch with ASDA and although there has been no confirmation yet, it seems likely that these locations will also be free!

The final question is whether we need to pay a subscription to get a 'free' charge - I'll let you know!

See less See more
#3 ·
#11 ·
There are so many permutations Source East/ West/ London - how have they dealt with the issue? There some Charge Masters in Charge Your Car (CYC) territory and no doubt some in Scotland! There have been no signs that Chargemaster have mapped out the permutations. Certainly Waitrose gave the impression that they had to be told by users and had no contact from ChargeMaster.
Lots of chaos and agitated phone calls - over the last week!
However, I can't help thinking that (for the majority) the impact is very small indeed. For many of us the preponderance of 'rapids' is rendering the 'fast charger' obsolete.
In the last 6 months I can only remember 'needing' a fast charge once and that was in the Yorkshire 'black hole'.
Looking back 6 months, I remember protesting about the introduction of CYC charging, but if there was ever a user-revolt, I didn't hear about it! I guess that's what will happen again?

#12 ·
Confused here also. I did contact Source West since I'm off to Bristol in a few weeks and often charge up in the city centre. Their points - though installed/branded chargemaster are under CYC management and currently free

Is London the same? Could it now be that the price will depend not only on the point but which card you use?

that being said any en-route will be via ecotricity whenever possible

#13 ·
Chargemaster have confirmed the £20 Polar Standard Charge applies to the use of the 'free' Waitrose chargepoints!
Really? Where? I asked the same question in response to the "You must sign up: email and have had no reply. Who in Chargemaster? How has that been communicated? With fact I will approach Waitrose.

#14 ·
Chargemaster have put it on their factsheet that the free stations will require a £20 membership to get the card. However, I have also asked the question and I suspect that Waitrose are currently working on a solution that doesn't require the £20 membership... such as having cards in-store that we can use.

I think this might be a case of watch this space for the moment as far as Waitrose is concerned :)

#15 ·
I think this might be a case of watch this space for the moment as far as Waitrose is concerned :)
Never underestimate the PR dept of a supermarket ;-)

This post has been deleted
#19 · (Edited)
Hi Brian, I have already congratulated you on your new association with EVDA. I actually joined the EVDA as a driver at it's inception by Matt Beard and support it's AIMS. I am very keen to understand if EVDA have ATTENDED any of the OLEV consultations or if the limit of involvement so far has been the same as all others under the call for evidence. I have also read the Open letter to Chargemaster from the EVDA but am unclear if there is any dialogue or contact beyond this.

I am all for openness, and hence my request at the origination of any fact, what I am keen to avoid is another one person or group being seen as the gatekeeper of information. As someone who has met face 2 face with OLEV, EST, Chargemaster, BMW, Nissan and many of the key companies involved in Electric Car adoption; I take exception to being labeled part of any scattergun and I do not recognise the EVDA as the only channel for anyone to voice a concern.

As you may have observed; I personally get far greater interaction via a Business Case approach to all of these companies and Government Agencies rather than a group of people only negatively reacting to change, which tend to not get a seat at the decision table.

Reactions: Snaxmuppet
#16 ·
it will be interesting to understand where the free stations are/how many there will be - and of course their access hours. Take for example waitrose abingdon. It's rapid charger used to be essential, 24x7 and would make paying a flat £20 worth it. Of course since that time we now have more chargers in the area so it's less of an issue. I'd certainly consider the £20 fee if there were a substantial number of stations offered "free" even though it frankly feels a little uncomfortable doing so.

#18 ·
Totally agree, no one organisation could or should try to represent all our diverse views, needs and opinions which clearly vary wildly from person to person, place to place.

It also helps highlight the real-world experience of those outside of any "bubble" these groups can often operate in.

#20 ·
I see a place for both the organised, EVDA type approach and the so called "scatter-gun" approach of individuals although I don't like the term "scatter-gun" or another term you have used Brian... "shooting from the hip". I find these terms derogatory and rather dismissive of the both the important and effective message individuals can have and also of their delivery style... you, nor anyone else, not actually knowing either unless there are witnesses to the meeting or written communications are in an open format.

I do understand that you feel that a more organised approach is often beneficial and I don't disagree with that. However, I would be reluctant to discourage individual action if it is a measured and reasonable response.

I too support the EVDA aims as I have said but I don't subscribe to the EVDA being the one and only answer to any of these issues... although an organised and coordinated approach can be an effective and persuasive technique.

#22 ·
Ihowever, what it does promote is coherence and consistency in the comments being made by the EV community.
I read that reply sucking air through my teeth. Let's just put this down a style thing; I'm Google generation, an 'affiliate style' whereby I collaborate, listen, learn and grow. As you saw at SoCEV even when I am presenting / hosting I am looking to others like @Paul_Churchley who have immensley more experience than I and also delighted to learn new skills like the brilliant portable EVSE station Dave Davies brought along.

I read comments about other's opinions being scattergun and the desire to decide on coherence and consistency as more "Command and Control" and that rarely sits well with me. My opinion is no more valid than anyone else's on any forum.

I enjoyed meeting you both at SoCEV and applaud your efforts with the charitable work and enthusiasm, I genuinely do. All this has motivated me to contact Waitrose as free really should be fre.......

#21 ·
Nothing the EVDA can do can limit the rights of individuals to make their own representation. I think it is useful as a body to collect views, but I'm also pretty sure that the decision makers in OLEV and elsewhere are keen to hear the raw views from stakeholders themselves rather than some possible filtered version.

If individuals have something to say they should say it :)

#23 ·
back on topic... Why don't charge master allow the EXISTING cards to still operate FREE Waitrose chargers and only charge £20 for the new cards required for chargeable posts. There would be no new cards to send out / low cost.....

Reactions: Steve Thayne
#29 ·
Just had it confirmed from @Quentin Clark that we will need to have a POLAR membership to use the Waitrose chargers...

You will need to renew yr POLAR membership on 1st April & obtain a new card to use the free sites. Best choice will depend.
I think that this is a massive miscalculation on the part of Waitrose not to make these available without membership.

It will just mean that we have one less reason to visit a Waitrose now :(

Reactions: Grant Thomas
#30 ·
It's frustrating, but it will be interesting to see how many points remain free. If indeed the likes of asda, waitrose, sainsburys, shopping centres are able to keep the points free, but just require a subscription then I'm kinda ok with it - though we're back to the "needing the right card" issue which PAYG should have avoided. So not perfect but can deal with it...

#31 ·
I don't have any underlying objection to a £20 membership to use the free chargers. If you will use them then it wouldn't take long before that £20 seems cheap. For me though I can charge at home so no need. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.