Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I’m getting a home charge point installed on Tuesday and it’s going to go on the front of the house, next to the front door. I went for the tethered option as I suspect when I get my car I won’t fancy pulling the cable out from the boot each time. I went for the standard length cable which would be too short to run from the side of the house, so on the front it goes. I don’t think I’ll mind the look of it there (pod point) but was wondering if anyone had built/bought a cupboard to cover theirs? I’ve been searching for bin stores as I don’t think these exist yet for electric charge points, but they seem a little too deep perhaps. Any cool ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s been mentioned :ROFLMAO: but it’s fine either way....I hope.

I wasn’t planning on it being locked away, so in my head I would just open a door and pull charger out? I guess I may find out how feasible that is on Tuesday.

·
Registered
969 Posts
How about right on the corner, but actually on the side wall? That will be almost as handy, but less obtrusive. Also, the light won't shine out into the street attracting jerks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I would need to get a longer cable for that position, and the cable would then run in front of the front door to get to the primary parking spot so I’m not too keen on having family/guests trip over the cable.

i guess a light shining out could look like a nice target, but I have a porch light and a red light from a cctv camera near the location. Who walks round with eggs other than the milkman anyway?? What a waste.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
It depends a bit on the 'look' of the house. Something modern might predicate a plastic case, something more rustic might be better suited to a bird-box sort of thing you could knock up yourself.

Bear in mind that any enclosure will be inhabited by spiders and their prey in short order - some people in your household may find that a bit :unsure: ... disconcerting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a red brick Edwardian semi with a storm porch. It needs a lick of paint round the porch and a clean when I get round to it and has an awful upvc white door, which is on a list to replace after I’ve saved up. So it’s nice, could be nicer :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I know of a few people who have fitted a meter cupboard around the charge point, seems to work pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts