Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we are in the process of replacing my wife's mini with the new model zoe. I have had a leaf for several years so am familiar with ev. Our current wall charger is a podpoint which has worked well, but I have a number of questions :

I have read the zoe can be picky with chargers (delighted if someone wants to correct me on this) are there any reported issues between zoe and podpoint?

What make charger do Renault provide? Is this negotiable? I'd love to upgrade to a zappi as I have solar panels, but at the moment, as my pv is capped at 3.6 kW output, it actually still costs more to charge from solar than my Octopus night time rate of 5p/kWh

I have a new build house, I'm fairly sure the master fuse is 100 amps - would I be able to use two chargers at the same time?

One thought was to have the new charger fitted and keep the podpoint for when we move house in the next couple of years. Can I do this or does the fact that it was partly paid for by an olev grant 4 years ago stop me doing that?

I could probably ask the garage these questions when we go for a test drive on saturday, but having spoken to them today it is apparent that they know less than my dog about these matters

Cheers

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 2020
25 Posts
Never had an issue with my two previous Zoes on my Podpoint home charger. Zoes are typically a bit more fussy when it comes to chargers, the inverter is the same one used for the motor after all.

Think Renault have usually used BP Chargemaster in the past, would assume that's still the case. I think it would be the only one you could choose and get installed free of charge. For any other manufacturer you'd just get the standard OLEV discount.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I got a call from BP Chargemaster when I ordered the New ZE50. I had to inform them however I couldn't take advantage of the free box offer as this is my 3rd Zoe and I have had two grants already.
But I have had no issues with the chargemaster boxes over the last 4 years...

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
635 Posts
Dealing with your questions in turn:

• I don't think the ZOE is picky with chargers, but it does test the quality of the earth and objects if the impedance is too high. If yours is low enough it won't be a problem.
  • They provide Chargemaster for free. You might want not to take the offer and use the OLEV grant against an EVSE of your choice, especially if you are going to have two.
  • If you want two chargers, the second will probably need to have a sensor on the incoming supply so that it can limit the charge it provides to prevent the total current exceeding the DNO's incoming 100A fuse. The DNO is likely to insist on this for a second EVSE, I think.
  • Will you have two EV's in the household at the same time? You can only get the grant (and the free Renault EVSE) for the second EVSE if you have two. Otherwise, you've had the grant for one EVSE and are expected to use it for the replacement.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
If you want two chargers, the second will probably need to have a sensor on the incoming supply so that it can limit the charge it provides to prevent the total current exceeding the DNO's incoming 100A fuse. The DNO is likely to insist on this for a second EVSE, I think.
That wasn't the case 15 months ago with WPD but may be different now and with different DNOs.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. Yes, we would have two eV, the zoe and leaf. I've done a bit of ferretting around with Google and it seems that the charger is tied to the car rather than the house and you can move it when you move house. Trouble is, the removal and refitting cost means you might as well go for a new one if the original is a few years old. I wonder if olev ever check where all their subsidised chargers are now?

I didn't know you could turn down the charge master offer and apply for the olev yourself. I might consider that, it makes the zappi affordable.

Thanks for your responses

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
635 Posts
The chargers are linked to the household (the people living at the property), and eligibility requires them to own an EV for a grant for one charger and two EVs to get a second charger at the same property. See https://assets.publishing.service.g...a/file/873887/evhs-guidance-for-customers.pdf for details. Once you've had a grant of your first EV you can't get a grant for another if you replace it with a second EV. It's not one EVSE for each EV you buy. You have to keep the second one. After that, no more grants for the property.

You are supposed to request permission to move the EVSE to anther property. I've never seen an OLEV street patrol checking my dumb EVSE. But they do now require that smart EVSEs are installed to claim the grant, so I guess they could check where the connection is located ...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got a call from BP Chargemaster when I ordered the New ZE50. I had to inform them however I couldn't take advantage of the free box offer as this is my 3rd Zoe and I have had two grants already.
But I have had no issues with the chargemaster boxes over the last 4 years...
We had the same conversation. It was clear though that Chargemaster do not understand the OLEV grant rules because despite telling them we already had two charge points they still sent us there installation questionnaire and suggested we could keep one of our existing and install a new chargepoint next to it because ‘it would be dedicated only to Renault Cars so keeping the old one was future proofing’. What we really wanted them to do was in lieu of a new charger point they just updated the wall unit so we had a device with active warranty...was worth a try !

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've read the evhs guidance now. It's a masterpiece in not giving quite enough information to answer all my questions. I understand the need to avoid fraud, so some bureaucracy is to be expected I suppose. It says that when applying for a second charge point, you have to supply the VRN of the first vehicle. Since I upgraded my 24 kWh Leaf, on which I claimed my first charger, to a 30 kWh Leaf some time ago, the VRN will not match the installation record. I'm presuming that this must happen all the time and won't matter and that they are just checking that we have 2 eligible vehicles.

I guess what I was hoping would be simple would be to have a 2nd charger (zappi) fitted to replace the podpoint on the existing wiring then, when I move, put the podpoint back and take the zappi with me. It looks though that I have to have the second fully wired and fitted alongside the original. t least that will stop any arguments over who gets to charge their car.

I suspect I'm probably just being greedy! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts