Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

what's the best cost effective option to get my wall charger upgrade from type1 to type2?
Seen few options available, like type1 to type2 adaptor which isn't the most convenient, then could get plug alone replaced or get new cable with type 2 connector.
My wall charger is tethered polar (british gas) and I am not sure what would be easier to swap, just the plug (most likely) or plug with cable (would need to open the charger).

Any thoughts welcome.

thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
The plug is normally crimped, so unless you have the correct crimper, I think changing the cable-connecter assembly is probably the easiest option. Some suppliers have a direct replacement for the BG charger cable with tails cut to length and crimped.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The best way is to get a new cable and replace the type 1.
Unless you have the tools to replace the plug I would strongly advice against changing the plug.

The connections for the cable of type 2 are the same as the type 1, you only need to open the front cover of the wall pod disconnect the existing cable and fit the new one. Make sure you take a photo of the location of the colours and fit the new ones like-for-like.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
think I will go that route as well, ok then any reliable sources to get one? Mine is 32A (7kw) so need to get 32A setup, single phase

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I posted a link for a uk supplier but if you search on duckduckgo.com I'm sure you will find some good deals.
An option is Aliexpress or some other chinese site, you could save a few bob on it.
There is little difference in price between 1 and 3 phases and most are now 3 phase ready regardless of what you want, it is cheaper for manufacturers to produce all at same higher spec than having more choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I posted a link for a uk supplier but if you search on duckduckgo.com I'm sure you will find some good deals.
An option is Aliexpress or some other chinese site, you could save a few bob on it.
There is little difference in price between 1 and 3 phases and most are now 3 phase ready regardless of what you want, it is cheaper for manufacturers to produce all at same higher spec than having more choice.
sorry I have missed your link, I did look on aliexpress as well but only found 1 seller and it wasn't much cheaper than the one from your link. I still got charging cable for my old 30kwh leaf that I need to flog

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
How long do you need? husoi's link doesn't seem to say how long it is, unless it's staring me in the face and I'm missing it.

Cheapest I could find was this:

5m, 32A, looks okay. There are a few others, different lengths:

This adapter is interesting too:

£75 and ships from Germany.

You can get the connectors too but none of them show the inside so hard to say if you can DIY them easily without a crimp tool.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How long do you need? husoi's link doesn't seem to say how long it is, unless it's staring me in the face and I'm missing it.

Cheapest I could find was this:

5m, 32A, looks okay. There are a few others, different lengths:

This adapter is interesting too:

£75 and ships from Germany.

You can get the connectors too but none of them show the inside so hard to say if you can DIY them easily without a crimp tool.
5m is more than enough for me, was looking at them adaptors as well but too much hassle getting them out of the boot so I am going to replace whole cable
I do have a selection of crimp tools but they not showing internals so it could be a wild guess but for the sake of £30 I am not going to take a chance.

Some people in comments said they soldered them which is what bob the bodge would do, I'd rather not.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
The extension looks like it clips on semi permanently. I would leave it on all the time.

But yeah the full cable looks better, just thinking for people who don't want to do any work on their charger.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I recently bought a new Leaf 40 and have an existing Leaf 24 so needed both so bought the type 1 to type 2 adaptor. This works really well even at 6kW but I've noticed that although the type 2 adaptor locks into the socket if you remove the type 1 cable the adaptor automatically releases. This is a bit of a security issue and anyone could just remove the adapter without the keys.

If you only require the type 2 plug then I would replace the cable as others have suggested.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats why I wasn’t the fan of the adaptor. How does the lock works on 40kwh leaf as it hasn’t got security switch like one found on 30kwh old leaf. If someone unplug me on charger side, will vehicle’s lock also release? That would be stupid, hope its not the case.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Also available cheaper direct from China.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is it actually safe to buy that kind of stuff from China without CE marking? Would insurance be invalidated in case of fire etc caused by it?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
@sc0rpion Usually over 90% of stuff we buy is made in China anyway :)
You get Icrap from China, and all the electronics are made there, proper merchants will state the norms they comply with and most wil have copies of the certificates.

the Leaf type 2 socket will automatically lock the plug once you insert it. to release it without unlocking the car you will need to press the flap button on the remote, this will release the plug.
If you take too long the car will lock the plug again so make sure you're close enough ;)

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Is it actually safe to buy that kind of stuff from China without CE marking? Would insurance be invalidated in case of fire etc caused by it?
It's the same place that all the European retailers get them from. They just buy them wholesale on Alibaba, the same as the sellers on AliExpress do.

Unless it was obviously faulty and you ignored the signs or you didn't install it properly your insurance wouldn't be invalidated.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I guess warranty and returns would be easier through Amazon

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I guess warranty and returns would be easier through Amazon
Aliexpress and Alibaba will refund your money if anything goes wrong.
from experience they are easier to deal with than Amazon.
The only issue you will have is the 30 days goods usually take to arrive, even more now with the virus going around in China but that will be the same on Amazon.
Unless you can make a substantial saving I would take in account the additional delivery time you probably going to have.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know most electronics come from china but there is differences them making stuff for European companies that need to comply and them making their own branded icrap

1 - 20 of 24 Posts