Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm after some good advice again. So I'm thinking of buying a wall charger but not sure what one. I've been looking at the pod point and I'm 99% sure mine is the 3.6kw, but I've read if I get the 7kw charger it won't have to work as hard and it will be OK if at sometime I get a newer leaf. My leaf is a 2014 acenta and ond the dash it only has the 3.3 and also I have looked under the bonnet and I can only see 3.6kw. Any advice on what you think is the best one to buy, I have seen some good deals on ebay, many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
19,223 Posts
Bear in mind that the Leaf is a Type 1 and your next car may well be a Type 2.

So it may not be practical to swap now - unless your charger is untethered?

I wouldn't worry about the charger 'working too hard'. That sounds like guff.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,802 Posts
I agree with @cah197 it's better to future proof yourself now. I would normally exhort you to get a tethered charger, but as your next EV will mostly likely be a type 2 you will then have the expense of getting the cabling changed. So it would be best to fit a 7 kW untethered.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,247 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the charger 'working too hard'. That sounds like guff.
Elegantly put. ;) The charge point is just a complicated switch so as long as you are operating below its' rated maximum then it'll be fine.

If you do decide to go ahead at very least make sure that the wiring is future-proofed for 32 Amps even if you go with a 16 Amps charge point. I agree with @Neilew and suggest either an untethered unit or be prepared for the cost of fitting a replacement plug (and possibly cable).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all, after some advice please, I'm getting my first Hybrid car later this month - a 330e. I believe it has a 12KW battery. I will probably only be bothered about charging it overnight. I'm after a cost-effective solution for the charger. I'm looking at a Pod Point Type 2 (S7, unit) on Ebay which I would have my electrician install. However, I'm wondering if the item below would be fine? I am not bothered about charging speed - i think the following would take 6 hours to charge my 330e overnight. Conscious I do not want to hammer a standard household socket. So would this help in that regards - Rolec Wallpod:EV Ready 13A (up to 2kW) Domestic Socket - EVWP0020

Any advice/criticism would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,247 Posts
Conscious I do not want to hammer a standard household socket. So would this help in that regards - Rolec Wallpod:EV Ready 13A (up to 2kW) Domestic Socket - EVWP0020
Noooooo - don't do it!

The "granny lead" is designed for occasional use, such as when you go and see somebody old-school such as your Granny who may not have a charge point fitted. It is not intended for daily use, although you will get lots of people saying that they have done that for the past x years. They are less safe and prone to failing, particularly if not kept dry or they are rolled up daily to put in the car.

A proper charge point is a worthwhile investment unless you are moving house soon and you should still qualify for the OLEV grant on a new one which reduces the cost to less than a secondhand one in most cases. Invest in a 7kW one as although you may not need the capacity now increasingly cars need it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Noooooo - don't do it!

The "granny lead" is designed for occasional use, such as when you go and see somebody old-school such as your Granny who may not have a charge point fitted. It is not intended for daily use, although you will get lots of people saying that they have done that for the past x years. They are less safe and prone to failing, particularly if not kept dry or they are rolled up daily to put in the car.

A proper charge point is a worthwhile investment unless you are moving house soon and you should still qualify for the OLEV grant on a new one which reduces the cost to less than a secondhand one in most cases. Invest in a 7kW one as although you may not need the capacity now increasingly cars need it.
Thanks, useful to know, perhaps I should stop being tight! I'll look into the 7kw pod point then. I guess the thinking with the Rolec was more around my needs. Don't need fast charging and it would have sat within my garage and the cable left plugged in (I don't plan to charge anywhere else apart from the home). Cheers for the advice :)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,802 Posts
I'll look into the 7kw pod point then.
It's probably a good idea anyway. You will most likely find that you enjoy driving electric, most people do. Hence the huge smile that comes with electric driving. So, going the whole hog and installing a proper charge point will set you up for you next EV (assuming you buy one, but then why wouldn't you) :) (y);).

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's probably a good idea anyway. You will most likely find that you enjoy driving electric, most people do. Hence the huge smile that comes with electric driving. So, going the whole hog and installing a proper charge point will set you up for you next EV (assuming you buy one, but then why wouldn't you) :) (y);).
Cheers, it’s just me being tight, thanks for talking sense. Can’t make any promises for future purchases, I feel bad enough getting a hybrid! And to be honest, it’s been influenced more by the company car tax breaks. But, hey, you never know...

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,802 Posts
I feel bad enough getting a hybrid!
Don't feel bad. It good to try before you buy. You may find that a full EV doesn't have the range you need or something else that effects your decision. Enjoy your 333e and let's see how you feel later. (y)

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Don't feel bad. It good to try before you buy. You may find that a full EV doesn't have the range you need or something else that effects your decision. Enjoy your 333e and let's see how you feel later. (y)
Plug in hybrids are a brilliant introduction to the silent world of EV’s.
It will not take you long to get bitten by the “Electric Bug”.
Why feel guilty about a hybrid - I don’t understand that ?.
Move on !.

·
Premium Member
11,674 Posts
I'm looking at a Pod Point Type 2 (S7, unit) on Ebay which I would have my electrician install
To install the used (old model) PODPoint you will need an expensive dual pole Type B RCBO and it probably won't fit in your existing CU (Consumer Unit) so you then have additional expense of a separate CU. It will work out quite expensive and you won't have any warranty on the unit.

Going the OLEV route and getting a new 7kW point will probably be similar (or maybe less) cost, but you will have 3 year warranty. The newer units only need Type A RCBO so the install costs are lower. Do also compare other units, some people have had customer service issues with PODPoint recently and it does not have many smart features (something I am disappointed with).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Plug in hybrids are a brilliant introduction to the silent world of EV’s.
It will not take you long to get bitten by the “Electric Bug”.
Why feel guilty about a hybrid - I don’t understand that ?.
Move on !.
Not so much a matter of guilt but a apprehension. Although this will cause much debate, I’m not yet convinced that you can beat the audible tones of a V8 :) I do hope I can persuaded otherwise...

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Not so much a matter of guilt but a apprehension. Although this will cause much debate, I’m not yet convinced that you can beat the audible tones of a V8 :) I do hope I can persuaded otherwise...
There nothing to be apprehensive about really ?.
You get the opportunity to try the feel of what an electric car car can feel like, but you have the back up of an engine if you misjudge your electric range.
You have to try it to know, not for everybody, but neither is jellied eel’s, but they sell plenty of them ! :sick:.
Not my cup of tea, I don’t like my fish in wall paper paste thanks !.
Horse for courses I guess, like our different choice in cars.
Loving a V8 thumper is okay, it makes a loverly sound as it drives between each petrol station.
An electric car could not be anymore different if it’s down to the pure sound of a V8.
Your fishing in the wrong pond.
I have been there, done that.
Don’t worry, it will pass all to quickly my friend LOL!.
I like my power delivered both in a Eco friendly and silent way these days.
Aarrrhhhhh .... Listen, nothing.
The only sound I can hear, is my wife droning on about a new dress she has seen In the sale.
I guess a noisy V8 does have its advantages after all then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts