Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been able to obtain a home charging wallbox with OLEV subsidy, including installation and be charged a labour cost below the £350 OLEV contribution?

The reason that I am enquiring is that I have an interest in getting a wallbox where the mounting point will be on the outer garage wall which is behind the consumer unit on the same wall and could be connected with 2 metres of 6mm2 twin and earth cable into a spare MCB.

I am looking at the Andersen A2 which does not need an earth rod, so the total installation and setup would take less than 2 hours. The first 2 installers to quote me are wanting to take the entire £350 as the installation cost.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had a Project EV charger and earth rod fitted recently. Charger was mounted on a house wall, with about 5 metres of cable from the charger to the consumer unit. Installation took 2 guys about 3 hours to do, and the labour charge quoted on the Annex D form is £210 excluding VAT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have just received a quote telling me that my installation of an Andersen A2 will take 4 hours even if I drill the wall and install all of the 6mm t&e cabling back to the CU which is on the other side of the wall. All £350 of the OLEV grant will go to the labour cost whilst the price of the wall box is £999.

Looks like I will be using the 13A plug granny charger until prices get more realistic next year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you say prices will be more realistic next year, is there an upcoming change in grants coming or something to that effect?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point was that I don't expect any supplier, Anderson, to be able to maintain a £999 retail price (plus installation less grant) in a more competitive environment.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
I have just received a quote telling me that my installation of an Andersen A2 will take 4 hours even if I drill the wall and install all of the 6mm t&e cabling back to the CU which is on the other side of the wall. All £350 of the OLEV grant will go to the labour cost whilst the price of the wall box is £999.

Looks like I will be using the 13A plug granny charger until prices get more realistic next year.
Why an Anderson? If you have a small budget, there are better value alternatives

·
Registered
226 Posts
My point was that I don't expect any supplier, Anderson, to be able to maintain a £999 retail price (plus installation less grant) in a more competitive environment.
Andersen will, easily.

Do you think things will get cheaper? Soon there's gonna be a lot more electrical work and less electricians. Prices will go one way.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
There is plenty of competition at present. Perhaps too much, as all suppliers seem to be dealing in small numbers and hence higher cost of manufacturing. Anderson are a premium manufacturer, there are lower cost units such as Project EV.
Costs to install aren't just labour on site, there is cost of travel time, back office costs and admin of dealing with DNO and (where appropriate) OLEV. Also on site warranty costs need to be factored in, especially as 3 year on OLEV installs.

It would help reduce costs if local electricians skilled up to install and if there was a simpler voucher grant scheme. The DNO stuff could be made easier too, some are making efforts in that regard.

Hopefully building regs will change soon so at least new houses will have EV charging installed or at least prepared for it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Andersen quoted me a "standard cost" of £400 (ie £50 net of grant).

They are working on a standard time estimate of four hours which appear to be a minimum that the industry is working to. My argument was that my installation was simply a "wire through a wall" and thus a trivial job compared with some that I have seen done (ref YouTube videos).

The cashflow implications of the OLEV delay seems to be a concern from 3rd party installers who have quoted me because if they do the job for less than £350, they would be would be out of pocket" ntil the grant was settled by OLEV which can take many months. and risk losing money on a job if the grant application failed.

One installer was asking for the full cost to be paid via bank transfer before the job would be booked in, with a promise of a partial refund once the OLEV grant was settled.

I understand that the Andersen A2 unit can be purchased directly from them for a local electrician to install but this would not qualify for the OLEV grant.

I am tempted to install the 6mm cable run from the consumer unit and fit an IFTTT compatible smart socket on the inside wall of my garage and just use the 13A "Granny" for now.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The cable run is the smallest part of the job inside any “standard” installation. 1m or 10m run is the difference between 5 and 10mins.

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
79 Posts
The cable run is the smallest part of the job inside any “standard” installation. 1m or 10m run is the difference between 5 and 10mins.
I just had to have a 70m cable run including 20m under a driveway installed in order to get my charger installed. The charger company did the work but used 10mm SWA cable. Took 2 guys nearly 5 hours to complete the installation and I'd already prepared the trenching and ducting. After it was all done... guess what? The 10mm SWA is too small and the voltage drop once the amperage is being pulled trips the charger. They now have to come back and replace 70m of 10mm SWA with 16mm SWA.

According to the installers, the cabling is, for them, the most difficult and expensive part, at least in my installation.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is not the length of the run but how many holes need to be drilled, floorboards lifted and trenches dug and making good any disturbance.

For wallbox units needing an earth spike, another complication is involved.

Andersen or Zappy units fitted close to a usable consumer unit with just one hole in a cavity wall is hardly any more work than fitting an outside lamp.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
My argument was that my installation was simply a "wire through a wall" and thus a trivial
It is unlikely to be trivial as in most cases they can't connect that wire to your existing distribution unit (*) as it won't have an appropriate location for the dedicated RCBO. That, plus most don't want liability of working on it, so fit a separate small one. I note the latest Anderson doesn't need an earth rod, so that does save time.

One benefit of local companies installing would be a proper pre-installion survey. Pre-qualified vouchers should also avoid payment delays and the voucher application could easily be done online by the applicant. Maybe one day...

* I wouldn't want a charging point wired to my existing plastic distribution unit.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It is unlikely to be trivial as in most cases they can't connect that wire to your existing distribution unit (*) as it won't have an appropriate location for the dedicated RCBO. That, plus most don't want liability of working on it, so fit a separate small one. I note the latest Anderson doesn't need an earth rod, so that does save time.

One benefit of local companies installing would be a proper pre-installion survey. Pre-qualified vouchers should also avoid payment delays and the voucher application could easily be done online by the applicant. Maybe one day...

* I wouldn't want a charging point wired to my existing plastic distribution unit.
Why? Do you put electric showers and cookers/jobs in there own CU?

·
Registered
226 Posts
It is not the length of the run but how many holes need to be drilled, floorboards lifted and trenches dug and making good any disturbance.

For wallbox units needing an earth spike, another complication is involved.

Andersen or Zappy units fitted close to a usable consumer unit with just one hole in a cavity wall is hardly any more work than fitting an outside lamp.
None of the companies who make there own chargers want these installs, most hike there prices for additional work so the customer gets in all set in place

·
Registered
Corsa-e 2020
79 Posts
None of the companies who make there own chargers want these installs, most hike there prices for additional work so the customer gets in all set in place
In my case, even if I'd gone with the quote from the Charger company, it would have been installed to their spec... which was wrong and they'd still have been liable to fix it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts