Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local independent installer was going to install a Rolec, but they've decided they no longer install them as they've had too many issues. Instead they are offering a Wallbox Pulsar+, which looks like a nice little unit.

Has anyone experience of these? In particular, does the timed charging on these work an the MG?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,386 Posts
My local independent installer was going to install a Rolec, but they've decided they no longer install them as they've had too many issues. Instead they are offering a Wallbox Pulsar+, which looks like a nice little unit.

Has anyone experience of these? In particular, does the timed charging on these work an the MG?
Don't be fooled by the 10x faster claim. Most domestic outlets are only 7 kW capable. The Ohme one looks like a good bet as they have been proven to do delay charging on EZS and are half the price..

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Wallbox is a Spanish brand. I have no direct experience but they are well respected.
As per usual, what are your expectations and requirements for a charge point, what is your EV and who supplies your electricity?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wallbox is a Spanish brand. I have no direct experience but they are well respected.
As per usual, what are your expectations and requirements for a charge point, what is your EV and who supplies your electricity?
Ideally - something with an 8+m tethered cable that will charge an MG ZS EV using timed charging controlled by an app or something. Not sure why the supplier matters really?

·
Registered
224 Posts
using timed charging controlled by an app or something
In other words not a PodPoint!

They are supposed to be working on an update on the app. Some are taking things into their own hands and retrofitting third party controller/timer.

eBay MHCOZY for example fitted inside the wallbox housing to independently control the main contractor relay either via its scheduled timer or as a WiFi controller. £12.90 on eBay for the one described as "in shell" ie a case, can be powered from 12v off PodPoint circuit board, and using common and the "normally open" (NO) terminal the activation can be delayed. Your installer could fit this for you if you asked nicely so I'm am told ;-)

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Not sure why the supplier matters really?
It matters depending on whether they give you a discounted charger deal, or whether you want say a time of use tariff like Octopus Go.
Look at the EO Mini Pro, the ChargedEV Smart+, Rolec (beware reliability) Smart, Zappi if you can afford it, Growatt (ProjectEV), amongst others. I'd personally only go for the Ohme if I wanted the integration with Octopus Go and was not able to get an OLEV grant.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Edited as not good enough to say it twice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Edited as not good enough to say it twice.
I haven't got my wall box fitted yet but the one I have bought is a project ev Eva_07s from smart home charge.This charger has a built-in charger and can be operated by an app.At the moment I am charging by the three pin granny cable which came with the car and charge the car during the day as I have solar panels which costs next to nothing to charge.the charger is an untethered one as I have bought a charging cable when I ordered the car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I haven't got my wall box fitted yet but the one I have bought is a project ev Eva_07s from smart home charge.This charger has a built-in charger and can be operated by an app.At the moment I am charging by the three pin granny cable which came with the car and charge the car during the day as I have solar panels which costs next to nothing to charge.the charger is an untethered one as I have bought a charging cable when I ordered the car.
Re the best should be built in timer.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Graham
Who is fitting it? The Growatt/ProjectEV one is supposed to support solar as well so that sounds a sensible choice, and I'll be interested to know whether your installer has experience of doing this previously.
Cheers
Duncan

·
Registered
199 Posts
Graham
Who is fitting it? The Growatt/ProjectEV one is supposed to support solar as well so that sounds a sensible choice, and I'll be interested to know whether your installer has experience of doing this previously.
Cheers
Duncan
Smart home charge will be fitting it but there is a waiting list so it may be a couple of weeks.Im not too worried as I can use the granny cable.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
They say that they are out of stock at present. When they come to fit it make sure that they have the latest version (the Pro-Earth) with the onboard RCD and device to meet Amendment 1 to the 18th Edition Regs regarding Earthing. You can tell it because it will have the bit "circled" in red below on the side:

Don't be suprised at the amount of light these things put out - I no longer need an outside light to be able to get around.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was thinking of buying the ohmee charger so I could charge at night,but to get the night rate for electricity i would have to have a separate meter installed which would be quite expensive.Having discussed this with smart home charge they told me the charger I am getting is compatible with solar panels so its free power during daylight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts