Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'd probably give this unit 3 stars, and I'm wishing I'd gone with something else to be honest

Plus points:
  • It's never failed to charge
  • Charge rate and times are configurable
  • Web interface as well as app
  • Full charging session history is available, and it calculates cost if you give it electricity price
  • You can override start time easily
Downsides:
  • It has a ridiculously bright LED "halo" that can't be disabled or dimmed, which illuminates surrounding houses at night
  • Seems to want to talk to its servers every 10-15 seconds, 24 hours/day
  • It frequently loses connection to the home WiFi and then won't re-connect until a restart (Bluetooth connection still works)
  • App is really slow to load, as it looks for the device via Bluetooth before falling back to WiFi. It seems to need to do this a number of times during a single "session"
  • Overriding the start time doesn't override the stop time
So what happens when it disconnects from WiFi? Surprisingly it still mostly behaves itself. If you've set up schedules etc it will still adhere to them, if you plug the car in it will recognise it and charge when it's meant to, and if you're close enough for Bluetooth to work then that will connect without problem (and I usually end up going via the app to restart the unit rather than switching the breaker off and on). I don't know how many it will store, but it has always uploaded the details of the charge sessions to the server when it reconnects

·
Registered
2016 Nissan leaf
142 Posts
I'd probably give this unit 3 stars, and I'm wishing I'd gone with something else to be honest

Plus points:
  • Full charging session history is available, and it calculates cost if you give it electricity price
Downsides:
  • It has a ridiculously bright LED "halo" that can't be disabled or dimmed, which illuminates surrounding houses at night
  • It frequently loses connection to the home WiFi and then won't re-connect until a restart (Bluetooth connection still works)
  • App is really slow to load, as it looks for the device via Bluetooth before falling back to WiFi. It seems to need to do this a number of times during a single "session"
I didn't have a brilliant experience with Wallbox pulsar. There were at least 7-8 occasions where it would stop charging, maybe it was a faulty unit but had it replaced with an Ohme charger and not had any issues.
Didn't like the app like you mentioned and also had connection issues

·
Registered
8 Posts

Plus points:
Downsides:
Those LEDs and other IOT also make your electricity bill 24/7.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts

Plus points:
Downsides:
Oh dear Ive just ordered one of these and its being fitted in a few days
But ..
the plus points look good, especially "never failed to charge" !! That is the main thing, right?
Mine will be in a garage so i dont care about the light
What happens if it loses connection to home wifi? Is this something i need care about?
Same for the app. If I dont use the app because I'm using the cars charger to set times, does it matter?
Same for talking back to its server, if it cant, as long as it works still, does it matter?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh dear Ive just ordered one of these and its being fitted in a few days
But ..
the plus points look good, especially "never failed to charge" !! That is the main thing, right?
Mine will be in a garage so i dont care about the light
What happens if it loses connection to home wifi? Is this something i need care about?
Same for the app. If I dont use the app because I'm using the cars charger to set times, does it matter?
Same for talking back to its server, if it cant, as long as it works still, does it matter?
can you please clarify your queries and also separate it from your suggestions/perspective.

·
Registered
747 Posts
can you please clarify your queries and also separate it from your suggestions/perspective.
Queries.
The key point is whether the unit will function as a dumb charger if there are connection issues with any of app, Bluetooth or WiFi. If you're able to answer this, then we'd be interested to know.

Suggestions / Perspective.
The questions in the post were clear enough. It's probably more helpful to offer something when you post on the forum than just criticise the form of another contributor's entry.

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi @AnotherJoe

I've updated my initial review with another detail that happened last night and also made some clarifications that should hopefully answer your queries. In summary, if you want to use it in a "set it and forget it" mode then it works fine if it's lost connectivity. The only time you'd need to connect to it is if you wanted to edit the schedules or override the functionality

·
Registered
8 Posts
Queries.
The key point is whether the unit will function as a dumb charger if there are connection issues with any of app, Bluetooth or WiFi. If you're able to answer this, then we'd be interested to know.

Suggestions / Perspective.
The questions in the post were clear enough. It's probably more helpful to offer something when you post on the forum than just criticise the form of another contributor's entry.
Answering to your queries:-
I agree with you. the connection issues of wifi could be because of any fault in you wallbox or coz the company's motive is to keep the box compact. so, this could be the error of bad quality component.
thank you for your suggestions :) .

I am making a smart wallbox home chargers of rating 7.4kW.
i asure you that in Innovation, Design, Safety any existing charger cant match my product.
i wanna know do you have any other issue with you existing home wallbox charger regarding
anything
such as :-
1. Installation
2. Using experience (physical)
3. Design
4. Safety
5. App interface
6. Anything annoying about the notifications sent by the app
7. most important management of cable coz 70% of weight is carried by cable in the whole charger So, it is hard to manage it.
8. another important HEATING of device.
I really appreciate your efforts to answer my question.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with you. the connection issues of wifi could be because of any fault in you wallbox or coz the company's motive is to keep the box compact. so, this could be the error of bad quality component.

i asure you that in Innovation, Design, Safety any existing charger cant match my product.
i wanna know do you have any other issue with you existing home wallbox charger regarding
anything
1. Installation
3. Design
4. Safety
5. App interface
7. most important management of cable coz 70% of weight is carried by cable in the whole charger So, it is hard to manage it.
I love how UK govt. and their citizens are taking our environment seriously and very optimistically.
Really appreciated
LOVE from INDIA.

·
Registered
8 Posts

anything
1. Installation
3. Design
4. Safety
5. App interface
forgot to write

9. what is the standby power of you home charger ?

·
Registered
Eniro 4+
76 Posts
Definitely no way to turn this off?

My house looks like I've had another streetlight installed on the drive!

I know the cost will be minimal for an led but it's still costing me some electric to run this thing 24/7! Pathetic that it cannot be turned off if that's the case.

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Devon Email support asking them how to. The response I got said
We do have this request quite often and we have mentioned it to our development team so hopefully they can add this option in a future release.
Fingers crossed they get to it sooner if everyone comments on it!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had mine two weeks.

I agree on the light brightness. I purchased a cheap sheet of window tint film from amazon for £6 and its toned down the brightness enough for me. Cheap fix.

On the WiFi not noticed any issue with mine, but I have had similar problems with a WiFi doorbell in the past that fixed itself with a change of router. Not sure what the issue was, although had a guess it may have been dchp setting , but has been Rock solid since, so it could potentially be something similar rather than the wallbox per se.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Definitely no way to turn this off?

My house looks like I've had another streetlight installed on the drive!

I know the cost will be minimal for an led but it's still costing me some electric to run this thing 24/7! Pathetic that it cannot be turned off if that's the case.
As you have an incentive to try this and i dont since my unit is in a garage :) have you tried the "disable" function in the app? Does that do it?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Ive asked via the support function in the app to add an option to switch off the light when not charging and also when charging.
It must be possible for them to make it less conspicuous anyway.

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As you have an incentive to try this and i dont since my unit is in a garage :) have you tried the "disable" function in the app? Does that do it?
I'll try it...! Where is this disable function?

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Thats crazy. I could swear i saw that earlier and now I'm swearing because I cant find it !
Im pretty sure it was in the advanced options section. I did upgrade all the apps on my phone yesterday maybe this is removed in the newer version. Have a look in yours.
Also perhaps try autolock, i'm guessing that locks it after a timeout period of not being used? EDIT>>>Found a video where that just changes the colour, doesn't turn it off.
I'm loath to try anything on the grounds thats its working :D

·
Registered
Kia e-niro 4
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Also perhaps try autolock, i'm guessing that locks it after a timeout period of not being used?
Locking (whether automatically or manually) changes the halo to a yellow colour (which is slightly less bright) but I've just had a trawl through all of the pages now (on the offchance they've added it) and there's nothing I can see that looks like it'll disable the light.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts