Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

So I thought I would see if I could create even more boot space by removing one layer of the foam and plastic inserts in the boot. Its a very simple job to do by removing a few screws you can lift out the plastic inserts in three sections.

By doing so I have created a much deeper boot and although the boot top cover does not fit perfectly (some gaps) it is made better by the rubber boot liner. Note that the rubber boot liner is not the e-Niro shaped one as they have been unable to get one for me so far.

I still have room to store the charging cables etc.. in the lower foam section.

Any one else tried this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think someone with a Kona found that the top foam tray with the accessories in it could fit under the bonnet, giving you a "frunk".

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've tried this - but just took all the trays out. Didn't lower the boot - it's handy for us as the dog's blankets, towels, etc. go in there out of the way!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi,

So I thought I would see if I could create even more boot space by removing one layer of the foam and plastic inserts in the boot. Its a very simple job to do by removing a few screws you can lift out the plastic inserts in three sections.

By doing so I have created a much deeper boot and although the boot top cover does not fit perfectly (some gaps) it is made better by the rubber boot liner. Note that the rubber boot liner is not the e-Niro shaped one as they have been unable to get one for me so far.

Any one else tried this?
With the rubber boot liner are any of the gaps visible?

Is there any introduction of rattle from the boot floor not fitting 100%

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

No significant gaps thanks to the rubber liner and no rattles so far.

Does make the boot much deeper if required.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

Any one else tried this?
This is fascinating. Where did you get the rubber mat from?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Is the rubber mat the Kia 'Trunk Liner For vehicles without luggage under tray' ?
Part number G5122ADE10?
@Alex G is the right part? I'm also very tempted to do this too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
OK, reporting back

• Trunk Liner, part no G5122ADE10 is a bit underwhelming, its thin floppy plastic with a layer of rubber sprayed onto it
  • Unscrewing the plastic trays and removing them is really easy, takes 1 minute. Putting them back is also easy.
  • The original boot floor (the wood wrapped in fabric one) is very slightly too wide to go back in once you've removed the trays, due to the way the sides of the boot taper in. So you can wedge the original boot floor in there. but it doesn't actually touch the base of the boot, its held up by the sides and hence seems like not a good idea to wedge it in there
  • The Trunk Liner fits very well, there is just one bit at the bottom right that doesnt reach the edges of the boot (see photos)
  • But ... and here's the problem .... the Trunk Liner is very floppy and the original boot floor doesn't really fit (see above) so you end up with an uneven floor covered with a thin bit of plastic/rubber. So if you press down in various places the other bits lift up (see photos)
  • So I think I need a bit of plywood cut to the approximate shape of the boot, it probably doesn't need to be too precise, just needs to cover enough to make a flat hard floor for the Trunk Liner
In summary: Trunk Liner G5122ADE10 is part of the solution, but a bit of plywood also needed.

IMG_20190709_161135.jpg

IMG_20190709_161141.jpg

IMG_20190709_161203.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
So, part 2. I now have a piece of hardboard from Homebase, about 60cm by 120cm:

IMG_20190821_124202_hardboard.jpg

Made one cut in it about 90cm along (by scoring along a line repeatedly with a sharp knife, then snapping the board). Unscrew all the trays from the boot and then put the two pieces of board in:

The extra piece on the top right isn't really needed but it was left over after I'd cut the board so I thought I'd put it in anyway. It just fits to the right of the seat bracket that intrudes into the boot space between the two seats. As you can see these boards just fit roughly, I didn't bother cutting them to shape or anything. The important part is that you have a large-ish bit of board covering the uneven surface of the second-layer polystyrene tray.

Trunk Liner, part no G5122ADE10 then goes ontop of the board:

And thats it. It's firm enough, looks adequately OK (boots of cars rarely look lovely anyway) and adds a lot more space.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The other way to address this is to get the floor mat that Kia uses in other markets without the underfloor trays. The part number is 85710-G5200WK and I got one from Horne Kia in the US - the link is here: Interior Trim - Rear Body for 2019 Kia Niro | Kia Parts Store. You want item 3 in the diagram. Shipping and import duty roughly doubles the price so it isn't a cheap option. I have fitted it with no problem and it looks like it's meant to be there, which of course it is. The only issue is that when lifting it out, it binds on the lugs on the Rear Panel trim that are there for the Luggage Tray components to attach to. If you want to do a complete job I guess it also needs 8570-G5000WK, the rear panel designed to not have the Luggage Tray.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The other way to address this is to get the floor mat that Kia uses in other markets without the underfloor trays. The part number is 85710-G5200WK and I got one from Horne Kia in the US - the link is here: Interior Trim - Rear Body for 2019 Kia Niro | Kia Parts Store. You want item 3 in the diagram. Shipping and import duty roughly doubles the price so it isn't a cheap option. I have fitted it with no problem and it looks like it's meant to be there, which of course it is. The only issue is that when lifting it out, it binds on the lugs on the Rear Panel trim that are there for the Luggage Tray components to attach to. If you want to do a complete job I guess it also needs 8570-G5000WK, the rear panel designed to not have the Luggage Tray.
I'm considering an order to Horne Kia for the lower boot floor. Any chance of a picture to check how it looks to help me decide?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts