Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I went Scuba diving at our nearest quarry (Stoney Cove).

I Got changed into my drysuit, and put my bag containing all my clothes, shoes, wallet, phone and keys in the car. It was raining, so I shut the boot whilst I set up my gear.

During the time I spent connecting/checking everything, the car locked itself :(

I Tried the boot catch and door handles, no joy.

I was slightly nervous, but thought worst case scenario, I'd phone Tesla to unlock my car after my dive. (There is limited access to the site, so time is tight, and we were all kitted up in scuba gear)

Anyway, when I got out of the water, I used my friends phone to call Tesla support: "Yes that can happen, if your phone and key are in proximity, when in the boot. Don't worry we'll remotely unlock it"

Great I thought,... until it turned out the car couldn't get a strong enough 3G signal. :( After many attempts, they can't get a connection to the car.

So now I'm stuck 50 miles from home, wearing a dry suit, and the spare key is in the safe at my office (of course my office keys are also on the bunch :( ), but it's a bit moot as the site is gated, and I'd never make the round trip in time.

ARGH!!!

I tried absolutely everything, including switching on hotspot tethering of my mates phone to be the same SSID and password as the WiFi at home, in the hope his improved (H+ signal) would be enough for the car to connect.. Still no joy.

At midnight I gave up and abandoned the car....

This morning, I checked using Trevor Stone's Chrome plug in, and guess what, I can connect to the car perfectly. ARGHx2!!!!

So today's challenge is work out the logistics of retrieving my car !!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
mobile signals can do weird things at night like all radio signals, something to do with the ionosphere.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Oh bummer! my leaf wont lock with the key inside it but I guess it might if I really try, nothing is foolproof, still you were nice and dry and warm in your dry suit? ;) I used to dive there in the early 90s, they still have the under water tank? hope you get your car back soon, I bet you dont do this again :cool:

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not invest in a waterproof pouch for your keys?!? :p
No pockets ;)

Besides there's a rule in Scuba don't anything take down you aren't prepared to get very wet. A replacement key for a Model S falls outside this remit ;)

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really surprised it locks with the key inside!

I'm fairly certain our old MINIs would't allow that, nor the LEAF?

It really shouldn't by design. Tesla are putting it down to interference between the key and a mobile phone.

I suspect the real reason is the sensor for the key is near the front of the car, and you are really at the limit of the fob range by the time you are at the boot.

You definitely notice this when you approach the car directly from the back, as it doesn't always unlock if you just want to get in the boot. Sometimes you have to get your fob out your pocket, or walk round to the drivers door.

IMO, to fix this design oversight they either need to extend the fob's range, or put another sensor in the boot. Probably a hardware change, unless they can up the gain on the sensor via firmware patch.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh bummer! my leaf wont lock with the key inside it but I guess it might if I really try, nothing is foolproof, still you were nice and dry and warm in your dry suit? ;) I used to dive there in the early 90s, they still have the under water tank? hope you get your car back soon, I bet you dont do this again :cool:
Yep toasty in my drysuit, which luckily lives up to it's name. If it had flooded, I'd have been even more unhappy!
Fortunately I have a membrane one, so I had semi sensible clothes on underneath. However once I took the suit off (which includes boots) I had to borrow a pair of shoes 2 sizes too small.

The APC is still there. Last night we went to see the Tugboat (Stanegart), the old Bedford van, and the Wessex helicopter. Just about right time weather wise... dark enough for it to be a proper night dive, and still warm enough @ 14c.

Nope I definitely won't be doing it again. In 24 years of driving this is the first time!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I understand this can happen in the Volt & Ampera too.. I haven't had it happen but I know others have.

Many years ago I managed to shut my fiesta boot on my keys, I was able to pop the rear quarter window catch, fold the seat down, and fish them out of the boot at the road side.. as I was 'fishing' a police car drove past I thought it'd be awkward to explain but he didn't stop.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Ooooooh, annoying. I had read about this as a problem on the tesla forums, I thought it had been fixed though!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Great stuff Simon, I think it was 24 years ago I last dived there! ha ha mental, I am getting old...diving is a super hobby and something I will get round to doing again soon :)

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Nightmare!!! Useful to know about that chrome extension.

Fwiw, there's a guy on TMC who has extended the fob antenna to the rear of the car, after getting fed up with it not unlocking automatically in the mornings. Seemed to be pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
634 Posts
Last night I went Scuba diving at our nearest quarry (Stoney Cove)...

I Got changed into my drysuit, and put my bag containing all my clothes, shoes, wallet, phone and keys in the car. It was raining, so I shut the boot whilst I set up my gear.....

So now I'm stuck 50 miles from home, wearing a dry suit, and the spare key is in the safe at my office (of course my office keys are also on the bunch :( ), but it's a bit moot as the site is gated, and I'd never make the round trip in time.
ARGH!!!
Brought back a lot memories and nightmares. Used to dive in the old wet suit era and forgot all about long trudge back from shore dive knackered and cold wondering where I'd hidden the car keys.
Also once at caravan site with borrowed caravan & impatient young kids closing boot on Nissan Bluebird with only car key inside. Boot locked itself and only way in was to crawl in via rear seat. Happy days

·
Registered
208 Posts
Could you have got your mate to download and install the Tesla App? Then you could have logged in and remotely opened the car? Ah, no 3G signal = that won't work. :(

·
Super Moderator
11,781 Posts
I'm fairly certain our old MINIs would't allow that, nor the LEAF?
Our LEAF won't lock if there is a key in the car. It beeps if you try.

The BMWs and MINI we've owned need the key to lock the car. Not sure about BMWs with comfort access.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As hinted at above, the Model S doesn't have a fob antenna that picks up the boot. If you're okay leaving the car unlocked, toss the key in the cup holder, or stash your gear in the frunk. Better still, get a small waterproof bag and take it with you on the dive.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As hinted at above, the Model S doesn't have a fob antenna that picks up the boot. If you're okay leaving the car unlocked, toss the key in the cup holder, or stash your gear in the frunk. Better still, get a small waterproof bag and take it with you on the dive.
To be fair we normally put all the keys in someone else's car (normally the oldest most battered one ;) ) I would have done this pre-dive, but the boot locked before I could get them out.

I try not to use the frunk, as I hate getting hand prints on it! :D

Waterproof bags aren't always waterproof at 30 meters ;)

Welcome to the forum btw!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Same with our Renault Zoe it will not lock with a key onboard. I would have expected more from Tesla as we plan on replacing Zoe with a Model 3 when the time arrives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts