Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New registration plates next week. It’s that queues at rapids season with new owners complaining about everything being somebody else’s fault.
Will keep away as the same moans and complaints are getting boring.
Just short runs for a couple of weeks and hope no necessity to go to a rapid.
I find electric cars and rapid chargers are great. It’s the humans that spoil the experience.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I was queuing at one of the Zurich Superchargers this week.

Looked like mostly new Model 3 owners, who didn’t get around to installing a charger at their apartment or couldn’t.

This was at 17:00 on a weekday in the middle of the city. But I have noticed a trend of new owners. If it’s bad at a Supercharger I can’t imagine what it’s like at a dodgy Ionity charger.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
993 Posts
Oh joy.
I guess I'll be back in my 'Disrespectful EV Owners' thread shortly after encountering some more of the most entitled uneducated drivers then.

I Might just print out a handful of user guides for rapid chargers so I can throw one at them rather than getting held up for 20+ minutes answering the same questions over and over, explaining how to use apps, how much it costs, why you're wasting your and others time by going to 100% etc.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
I guess I'll be back in my 'Disrespectful EV Owners' thread shortly after encountering some more of the most entitled uneducated drivers then.
In defence of the uneducated, I’ve always found them to be good mannered so long as you put forward any advice in a humble way.

Of course it’s difficult to persuade those who want to charge to 100% because they haven’t installed a home charger.

But of course I was in the same category a few times when the destination charger at my hotel was non-functional. Better destination charging will reduce pressure on rapids in the future. But this will take time.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Oh absolutely. If people are reasonable with me I am more than happy to help. In the previous years I've had some great conversations with people at the chargers and was even happy to see someone I remember asking me about EV's while passing me at a service station, pulling beside me a few months later to charge the car that they had just bought after my advice helped them to be sure they were doing the right thing.

I'm more thinking back to one of my first stories about people coming up to announce their arrival and insisting that I have to leave because they are now here and have a more important life and car than I do. They are getting increasingly common and I've got very little tolerance for them.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
New registration plates next week. It’s that queues at rapids season with new owners complaining about everything being somebody else’s fault.
Will keep away as the same moans and complaints are getting boring.
Just short runs for a couple of weeks and hope no necessity to go to a rapid.
I find electric cars and rapid chargers are great. It’s the humans that spoil the experience.
So jaded😜

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Wow as a first time EV owner and getting my car soon, I hope to god I don't meet some patronising little Karen's like you lot.

This forum is so elitist and toxic at times.

Some people just like the idea of an EV and do not know anything about how to run them probably, nor will they bother finding out in advance - as most consumers just expect to buy and drive.

There are also a few twats out there, but it's a very small %. Don't paint everyone with the same brush.

Take your time, be polite, don't be condescending, don't be dicks, and 99% of people out there will understand and take your advice/info.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Wow as a first time EV owner and getting my car soon, I hope to god I don't meet some patronising little Karen's like you lot.
This forum is so elitist and toxic at times.
Some people just like the idea of an EV and do not know anything about how to run them probably, nor will they bother finding out in advance - as most consumers just expect to buy and drive.
There are also a few twats out there, but it's a very small %. Don't paint everyone with the same brush.
Take your time, be polite, don't be condescending, don't be dicks, and 99% of people out there will understand and take your advice/info.
Like I said if people are respectful to me I have no objections to doing the same and helping out where someone is wanting to learn. If someone is going to be a dick then I'm not helping, and any chance they may have had of me unplugging a little sooner to help out if I don't need to range right now is out the window.

A few months ago I had one bad experience after another and was starting to lose hope but recently I've had good interactions with others again. I'm not immediately judging anyone, but I know from experience that I'm going to encounter a number of bad eggs again shortly, and will probably have some stories to tell afterwards. Admittedly this is because I cover long distances in an EV and do so without any home charging so I encounter more people than others typically do.

Parting with tens of thousands of pounds to buy an EV and not doing any research is setting yourself up for failure and disappointment. I'd hope that nobody would do that. Even in the past moving from one ICE to another I would be doing extended test drives, comparisons, and reading up on reviews, opinions and specifications. Moving to a completely different type of 'fuel' without a good amount of research to make sure it's actually suitable for your needs seems totally crazy to me.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Parting with tens of thousands of pounds to buy an EV and not doing any research is setting yourself up for failure and disappointment. I'd hope that nobody would do that. Even in the past moving from one ICE to another I would be doing extended test drives, comparisons, and reading up on reviews, opinions and specifications. Moving to a completely different type of 'fuel' without a good amount of research to make sure it's actually suitable for your needs seems totally crazy to me.
Do you think the majority of people research anything before buying it?

Chelsea mum walks into a Range Rover Dealership, do you think she checks the mpg? The technology? If it will fit through the Width restrictions on Albert Bridge in London? No. They will spend £100k+ on a new top end model because they can get it on Rose metallic colour with a white leather interior.

Do you think people research the best 4k Smart TV before buying or just walk into a showroom and by the one that looks the biggest with the brightest screen?

Do you think people research their new phone? No they just walk into the local EE store, say they want an upgrade and tell them they they like Apple products ... walk out with an iPhone 11 with 16gb of storage on a 2 year contract at £77 per week. (true story!)

You say people must be crazy ... maybe ... I always do my research on anything. However For everyone one of me I can name 10+ people that just walk into a shop, buy X then just expect X to work and do what it was brought for.

If charging to 80% is extremely important then the dealership needs to tell them on collection, or a big RED Button needs to appear on the entertainment screen saying "Are you sure you want to go past 80%? This could result in greater battery degradation and lose of max range!"

A few years ago EV's were more enthusiast cars, and you only got in to it if you knew what you was doing. Now I'm not going to say EV's are main stream yet ... but I know a few people that are considering an EV just for the environmental impact and know nothing about running an EV. They see the Soul or E-Niro and go .... well that's just a normal car with electric as it's fuel ... so I'll buy that. Then they just expect it to work. If no one tells them about 80%-100% speed lose at fast chargers they are NOT to blame.

My wife is a very intelligent person. She doesn't give two s**** about cars. Her questions were:-
1. Can I go to visit my friend Deborah in Lymington (about 125miles) without charging on the way?
2. If I go and plug it into her house to charge, how much money would it cost her so I can give her the money?

Other than that she doesn't care. On the test drive all she cared about was the boot being big enough, that the car didn't feel too big - as she prefers smaller cars, and that the seats were nice and comfortable for long trips.

I think you underestimate the ignorance of the majority of consumers. This isn't their fault ... society has protected them and made everything simple for their ease of use. They are now conditioned.

Like we are all impatient these days as we have been conditioned with fast food, apps that we can order to pick up on the go (coffee as an example), Tesco deliveries to the door, etc... we have to wait 3 months for a car and it's OMG I'm going to die waiting for this!

Even with rude people, be better than them, stay calm and treat them with respect.

·
Registered
822 Posts
This is why i think i will get the largest capacity battery i can on my next EV, less charge cycles when you dont need the range and more usable being kept in the Goldilocks zone of percent charge and less reliance on rapids/superchargers when you do need the range and can charge at a lower relative C rating when you do rapid/supercharge or be able to accept a higher kW charge when you wish to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think we have to be patient as we should with learner drivers we've all been there! I did a lot of research before making the transition mainly through YouTube and it was just as well as the dealer was hopeless. I got a good deal because they weren't interested in EVs but had taken a couple in part exchange and were just anxious to unload them but had I needed any help with technical issues I doubt very much they would have been able to assist. I had to survive the first month on a Geniepoint rapid in my local Park & Ride (which thankfully I seemed to have all to myself so my initial hesitancy was not witnessed) and free charging at my local Tesco but that did and still does it seem result in spending time answering questions from curious onlookers or explaining why ICE owners shouldn't be parked in EV bays. So far I've not had any adverse reaction. It is just a matter of education and in the case of supermarkets enforcement in my opinion.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yep, rapid chargers are scarce valuable resources yet... A brand spanking new MG thinks it's ok to plug into the type 2 on a rapid and leave it unattended daily! Even though there is a bank of 7/22kWh posts... The T&Cs of rapids even say do not use if not rapid capable, leave unattended and there is a time limit. Might find his PCP/Lease/never-never pride and joy with my 50p down it... My job is not to educate fcukwits.

Reactions: sizzlechest

·
Registered
763 Posts
This is why i think i will get the largest capacity battery i can on my next EV, less charge cycles when you dont need the range and more usable being kept in the Goldilocks zone of percent charge and less reliance on rapids/superchargers when you do need the range and can charge at a lower relative C rating when you do rapid/supercharge or be able to accept a higher kW charge when you wish to.
Agree, I'm sick of people saying you don't need a big battery, yada yada. Yes you do because public rapid charging is near impossible.

·
Journeyman Human
445 Posts
Do you think the majority of people research anything before buying it?

Chelsea mum walks into a Range Rover Dealership, do you think she checks the mpg? The technology? If it will fit through the Width restrictions on Albert Bridge in London? No. They will spend £100k+ on a new top end model because they can get it on Rose metallic colour with a white leather interior.

Do you think people research the best 4k Smart TV before buying or just walk into a showroom and by the one that looks the biggest with the brightest screen?

Do you think people research their new phone? No they just walk into the local EE store, say they want an upgrade and tell them they they like Apple products ... walk out with an iPhone 11 with 16gb of storage on a 2 year contract at £77 per week. (true story!)

You say people must be crazy ... maybe ... I always do my research on anything. However For everyone one of me I can name 10+ people that just walk into a shop, buy X then just expect X to work and do what it was brought for.

If charging to 80% is extremely important then the dealership needs to tell them on collection, or a big RED Button needs to appear on the entertainment screen saying "Are you sure you want to go past 80%? This could result in greater battery degradation and lose of max range!"

A few years ago EV's were more enthusiast cars, and you only got in to it if you knew what you was doing. Now I'm not going to say EV's are main stream yet ... but I know a few people that are considering an EV just for the environmental impact and know nothing about running an EV. They see the Soul or E-Niro and go .... well that's just a normal car with electric as it's fuel ... so I'll buy that. Then they just expect it to work. If no one tells them about 80%-100% speed lose at fast chargers they are NOT to blame.

My wife is a very intelligent person. She doesn't give two s**** about cars. Her questions were:-
1. Can I go to visit my friend Deborah in Lymington (about 125miles) without charging on the way?
2. If I go and plug it into her house to charge, how much money would it cost her so I can give her the money?

Other than that she doesn't care. On the test drive all she cared about was the boot being big enough, that the car didn't feel too big - as she prefers smaller cars, and that the seats were nice and comfortable for long trips.

I think you underestimate the ignorance of the majority of consumers. This isn't their fault ... society has protected them and made everything simple for their ease of use. They are now conditioned.

Like we are all impatient these days as we have been conditioned with fast food, apps that we can order to pick up on the go (coffee as an example), Tesco deliveries to the door, etc... we have to wait 3 months for a car and it's OMG I'm going to die waiting for this!

Even with rude people, be better than them, stay calm and treat them with respect.
Earlier, you said very few people are twats. I disagreed with this, I think a very significant minority of people are indeed twats. You've now laid out the case to prove this pretty well and I couldn't agree with you more, except for your last statement, being nice to rude twats will teach them nothing regarding how wrong their behavior is, so no chance, they'll get what they deserve. lol!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
333 Posts
I didn't really realise it was new registration time as I've never had a car younger than 4 years old but am getting a new EV Monday week: the local dealer had a very good deal on MGs and I jumped after lurking here for ages.It's a pre-reg so I'm not (shock horror) getting the latest number, in fact just had to check online how it works! My impression was that the people jumping in on the deal knew what was what and came from all over the country - I cycled over for my test drive on spec - and the salesman certainly didn't do any selling or explaining. He did offer a Type 2 cable without me needing to ask.

Anyway, I won't have home charging until 1) my new drive gets installed in couple of weeks 2) best friend then installs the commando. In the meantime I shall rely on the initial charge, supermarket visits, granny charger out the front window and it'll be some time before I do any long trips and need to indulge in competitive charging. ;-) So don't worry about me!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts