Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past couple of weeks I have been doing a 24 mile round trip, hospital visits.
30 or 40 mph max.
I have had the ESP light coming on a few times, for a few seconds.
It must be very sensitive if it is for wheel slippage?
Also, on 2 occasions a big Red triangle appeared, and the brakes were applied automatically!
Is this a collision warning?? :rolleyes:
As soon as I accelerated again, it was fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Also, on 2 occasions a big Red triangle appeared, and the brakes were applied automatically!
Is this a collision warning?? :rolleyes:
As soon as I accelerated again, it was fine.
I’ve had this happen twice since I got mine a month ago. First time it just beat me to slamming the breaks on to avoid a car cutting across in front of me. Second time a car got very close just in front in the outer lane, as if to cut in.

I was impressed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve had this happen twice since I got mine a month ago. First time it just beat me to slamming the breaks on to avoid a car cutting across in front of me. Second time a car got very close just in front in the outer lane, as if to cut in.

I was impressed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I mailed my Tesla 'friend' last night and he said:-
"Clean the front digital badge, and see how it goes." uumh!
This would imply that if you clean your badge it will be OK, until it quickly gets mucked up again?!
Motorway driving could be very dangerous if the car decides to slam on for no reason.
I did not have any immediate danger and was doing 30 mph.
There was no prior warning, suggestion a possible danger up ahead.
I pointed out the above to Mr Nissan, and am waiting a reply.

·
Registered
89 Posts
From other threads this seems to happen when on a bend in a two lane situation where there are cars stationary or parked in the other lane. It has happened to me twice on approach to a roundabout.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fortunately in the UK the driver behind you has the responsibility for not crashing into you, further, it is perfectly ok to come to a stop wherever you may be.

I do in excess of 40,000 miles per year and spend no time worrying about what is going on behind me, so far, this approach has not resulted in any incidents.

It is really no different to you suffering a medical emergency, requiring you to come to an immediate stop, so does not present any unusual hazard to those behind, assuming they have kept the required distance and are aware.

·
Registered
12,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fortunately in the UK the driver behind you has the responsibility for not crashing into you, further, it is perfectly ok to come to a stop wherever you may be.

I do in excess of 40,000 miles per year and spend no time worrying about what is going on behind me, so far, this approach has not resulted in any incidents.

It is really no different to you suffering a medical emergency, requiring you to come to an immediate stop, so does not present any unusual hazard to those behind, assuming they have kept the required distance and are aware.
Being in the right when someone crashes into you is little consolation Scott.
It is like being knocked down on a Zebra crossing.:oops:

·
Registered
162 Posts
You are of course quite right. However, I think all attention should be focussed in the direction of travel, not behind!

·
Registered
12,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No just partially - enough to make me back off the accelerator
I took the car in and left it all day with Nissan.
They did a full diagnostic but everything looked fine.
My car was not on their recall list for this problem.
They did realise that it was happening.
Indeed someone who worked there said they had experienced the same thing.
Their feeling was that computers get glitches, and this was one of them?
I accept that but an emergency brake enabled for no reason is unacceptable to me.
They did say it was 'oversensitive'!! Yep!!
You can switch it off, of course, but.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
The emergency brake system should flash first and then engage if you don’t respond. I’ve had the odd false alarm that has made me lift off the accelerator, and I suppose that as I drive in Eco that will have triggered regen braking so the anchors didn’t slam on. The only time it did fully brake was when some idiot cut in front of me, so it saved me a collision.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts