Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is a space in the boot for one but I believe that it is not included in the UK spec.

I already had one and it fitted perfectly in the space :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nope, I didn't get one.

I also noticed the First Aid kit wasn't there also, when I questioned this they said they didn't supply them to UK Ampera's. I assume they do in Europe, as I think it's the against the law not to have a first aid kit in the car. Would have been nice to have one, considering the money I've spent!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
A triangle is only recommended in the UK and is compulsory in Europe AFAIK. Same with the first aid kit.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
It is not compulsory in the UK to make buyers of your top-of-the-range car go out and get a triangle and first aid kit ;-)

I believe GM set a common price for the car across the EU - shame they didn't do that for the accessories included...

Paul R

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The way I see it is that if we don't consider it important enough to ask if it has a triangle or first aid kit and to insist that it is included then they can include what they like.

I am not defending their decision not to include it but then again I don't see that we have anything to complain about either.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
I'm not complaining really, I just thought it was a tad tight of Vauxhall to not include with the UK models when they presumably do include elsewhere in EU...

We did at least get the mats included ;-)

Paul R

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I agree. It was tight of them but given the price increase at launch I was not surprised. We know they make a loss on each one at the moment so I suppose their thoughts might have been why supply them if they are not a legal requirement.

I can see their point of view even if I don't like it.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
How do 'we' know they make a loss? Even allowing for VAT, the UK price is higher than USA - do they make a loss on the Volts in the USA too?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes. It has been discussed quite a bit in the USA and it appears that they do make a loss in the USA too.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
I spend a lot of time in the USA (we have a home in Florida) and the Volt has been a political hot potato, with the Fox network in particular spreading a lot of negative (and often untrue) information especially around the "Volt Fires". For a quick background, see http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/03/mal ... -bob-lutz/

I therefore suggest care needs to be taken as to the source of information that GM is losing money on the Volt/Ampera model. I suspect that GM make a profit if you consider just the manufacturing, distribution and sales costs. The "issue" is the huge development cost of the Voltec system. However as that platform will be amortised over several models and several generations of GM vehicles it is not easy to attribute a cost directly to each current Volt/Ampera, particularly as production numbers are still (hopefully) increasing.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I'm somewhat surprised that anyone expects a warning triangle to come with the car as I don't think any car I've bought came with one. Should my volt ever arrive I would expect just to transfer the triangle from my old car into the new one.

According to the AA a first aid kit is a legal requirement only in Austria and recommended for Belgium and Germany. It's only the triangle that is a requirement most places, and of course the high visibility jacket for several countries not to mention the French want you to carry breathalyzer kits.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Paul C - Do you unconditionally believe whay employees of organisations tell you? If a Microsoft employee told you that Vista was a great operating system would you believe him or her? I can see this is a good line for the sales people as it is a way of explaining why they don't offer a discount (or has anyone got one yet?)

Duncan - The manual implies that a warning triangle and first aid kit are included. My partner got a new Infiniti at the same time as me and her car included both. I believe some other manufacturers also include.

The slot for the warning triangle is short and my old one did not fit.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
proddick said:
Paul C - Do you unconditionally believe whay employees of organisations tell you? If a Microsoft employee told you that Vista was a great operating system would you believe him or her? I can see this is a good line for the sales people as it is a way of explaining why they don't offer a discount (or has anyone got one yet?)
No I don't... but then again I don't disbelieve everything I hear either... :) However, I have heard this particular point from many sources now and whilst I I don't totally believe it nor disbelieve it I certainly believe it is quite feasible, or even likely given the early stage of the technology.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just some quick thoughts on the discussion. The business assumption here is the actual development cost of the Volt from its inception to first production unit in 2010 when they started to sell them in limited numbers here in the USA is 1.2 billion dollars.

The right wing elements in the USA look upon this and conclude the first 1000 Volts produced cost $1,200,000 each with a loss to GM of about $1,160,000 for each unit [$40,000 cost of Volt]

Or based on current world production of 25,000 Volt-Vauxhall-Ampera units a loss of $8,000 a unit [again $40,000 a unit].

I grant you I have simplified this by excluding cost of labor, actual materials to produce the car and shipping costs but the right wing is arguing every Volt-Vauxhall-Ampera sold is loosing money.

If I were making this up you would conclude my methodology is screwed up and you would be correct but you can easily verify this nonsense by googling articles over the last 24 months as to the cost of the Vauxhall Ampera and Chevrolet Volt.

Even with these “proven” astronomical losses I think Vauxhall could have handled the expense of the safety triangle and first aid kits as a good will gesture VAT or no VAT.

Ross

1 - 19 of 19 Posts