Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Just had second service done, a couple of points for everyone to be aware of.

My P button has bubbled for the second time, no issue swapped for a new one, but told it is classed as trim, so only has a 2 year warranty.

One of my wheels has i believe got water ingress, so making it look like it corroded. They are saying its not covered by warranty. I think I may have seen another post on this but can't not find it, anybody else had this issue, picture enclosed. I will be contacting kia to push the case, less than 2 years old wheels should n
20200912_140233.jpg
ot do this.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Corrosion but I didn’t really understand why an alloy wheel would corrode if I’m honest. It was odd as both rears went around the hubs like in your pic but the fronts were unaffected as were the outer reaches of the wheel. It certainly wasn’t due to damage and I concluded that it must be something specific to the rear location. I couldn’t see that heat or exposure to the elements would be the cause and couldn’t imagine there were different metals or lubricants in the hubs so was a bit lost.

I’m guessing that whatever is used to finish the surface of the wheel is not applied inside the wheel where it seats on the hub. Maybe that’s where the attack begins as it definitely looks like something gets under the surface layer. But why some wheels and not others 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Interesting about the 2 year warranty on the P button.
I'll have to make sure I get mine replaced at the second service.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
98 Posts
That sort of corrosion is very common on diamond cut wheels. There’s only the lacquer protecting the finish and the slightest damage from mounting the wheel or fitting the centre cap will set it off.
I would never have them by choice but didn’t get that with the Niro.
l’ll be keeping an eye on mine and would press for a warranty replacement if there’s a problem.
I’ve never known a manufacturer nor cover them under warranty. We replaced an SLK with the Niro. MB changed all four wheels at 2.5 years old for exactly the sort of corrosion seen above.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The centre cap looks damaged adjacent to the wheel corrosion, could be a pointer to how it’s occurred. I assume it’s only one wheel?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
382 Posts
I had a 2001 Prius from new. The (diamond cut) wheels were notorious for corroding and it starts on any of the sharp edges and spreads under the lacquer like a disease. Exactly as the Kia picture above, and usually within the first couple of years. I’m certain winter road salting makes it significantly worse.

Toyota dealers would replace them without quibble, for years, I had mine replaced once. Some owners even had them replaced 2 or 3 times! It must have cost Toyota a small fortune. On the later 2004 model they 'fixed' it by adding plastic wheel trims entirely covering the alloy wheels. The wheels underneath still corroded just as badly but they argued they didn’t need replacing as they were structurally ok and it was not visible!

I wish there was something we could apply to prevent this (or maybe just slow it down) but I don’t think there is anything, or is there? Maybe ceramic coating might help? Some silicone grease worked into the gap where the plastic hub cap is might slow it for a while? Sooner or later it will probably cover the wheel though.
Pic shows a 2001 NHW11 Prius wheel after maybe 8 years

Peter

EDIT: I wonder if this stuff might help.....

·
Registered
KIA Soul EV 64kWh
214 Posts
I had a 2001 Prius from new. The (diamond cut) wheels were notorious for corroding and it starts on any of the sharp edges and spreads under the lacquer like a disease. Exactly as the Kia picture above, and usually within the first couple of years. I’m certain winter road salting makes it significantly worse.

Toyota dealers would replace them without quibble, for years, I had mine replaced once. Some owners even had them replaced 2 or 3 times! It must have cost Toyota a small fortune. On the later 2004 model they 'fixed' it by adding plastic wheel trims entirely covering the alloy wheels. The wheels underneath still corroded just as badly but they argued they didn’t need replacing as they were structurally ok and it was not visible!

I wish there was something we could apply to prevent this (or maybe just slow it down) but I don’t think there is anything, or is there? Maybe ceramic coating might help? Some silicone grease worked into the gap where the plastic hub cap is might slow it for a while? Sooner or later it will probably cover the wheel though.
Pic shows a 2001 NHW11 Prius wheel after maybe 8 years

Peter
View attachment 136145

EDIT: I wonder if this stuff might help.....
Can't these be restored or repainted?

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can refinish some diamond cut wheels but only once, if you’re lucky. You could just repaint them but how a wheel designed as a two finish wheel would look in one colour, I’m not sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts