Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I remember correctly there is a 6 year warranty on the battery in Golf GTE. This is what I probably heard or believed when I bought mine 3,5 years ago. Does anybody know what is covered in this warranty? What degree of degradation does one expect in this time? Or, what is still ok and what is not?
I just recently started charging on public chargers and can see know it uses 6,2 KWh per whole charge, it charges up to 41km now.

Thanks!

Bor

·
Registered
767 Posts
It's an 8 year 100k mile warranty.

It covers the battery against all failures and guarantees a 70% minimum capacity.

6.2kWh is about how much the battery absorbs, I have had a new battery fitted to my car under warranty (water ingress issue, recall note essentially) and it takes about that much. I think the 7.6kWh nominal figure (and the 8.7kWh total capacity) is based on some kind of fantasy measurement because you can't get that much however you try.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
So, how would one "objectively" measure the remaining capacity?
I could say I have 71% (6,2 out of 8,7), 81% (6,2/7,6) or 78% (39km out of 50). It could already be less since for the last few chargings it went only up to 5,9 kWh.

·
Registered
767 Posts
It would be based on what VW tell you, unfortunately! But if the car used to say 50km and now says 35km, I would suggest battery has deteriorated too far.

You could also get an independent expert to measure the amphour-capacity of the battery pack (by discharging it between the parameters VW specify.) Or you could measure this yourself by measuring the drivetrain data using a CANbus dongle and seeing how far you can go before hybrid mode engages.

I don't think 5.9 vs 6.2kWh makes enough difference to warranty a replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it doesn't warrant a replacement yet... But I have a lot of time till I get to 8 years.
Can you suggest where I can purchase a suitable CANbus dongle?
Also - I noticed very pronounced day-to-day fluctuation in range, even though I drive on the same road, in practically same weather conditions, with same amount of (non)acceleration etc, heating off all the time... What could explain this?
Example: one day I make 40km, the other just 33km.ž
Thanks

·
Registered
767 Posts
The device I used was a Rosstech HEX+CAN, you can buy it used or buy a new VCDS cable.

Not sure what causes the variation in range, it could indicate a fault. It is a good idea to track the battery voltage. If there is a failing module, you will see a rapid fall off in voltage near end of operation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts