Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have searched through the threads to get a view on Warranty's. I have a Zoe 22 kwh Sep 2015. Last year I extended the warranty and this year it has increased in price to £

The car is low mileage at 22k, but so far, I have already had steering fixed, 'chocolate' drop links replaced on both sides, a rear suspension spring and I need to sort out tracking.

I have the battery rental and I can't find all of the information that relates to the battery/drive train warranty. Some things on MyRenault suggests that this is 5 years, but I have read 8 years or as long as the rental continues.

So, does everyone think that it is worth paying for the extended warranty?

P.

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
979 Posts
Never own an out-of-warranty Zoe. Ever.

The warranty on the battery lasts as long as you pay your lease. The time limit only applies to the battery if you have an 'i' model where you own the battery rather than paying a monthly fee for it.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,112 Posts
Yup year one is the low low price of £259 or such and then year two onward is £300-ish, but its worth it. Keep the warranty going.

Reactions: TiJayFLY and Panda

·
Registered
456 Posts
The car is low mileage at 22k, but so far, I have already had steering fixed, 'chocolate' drop links replaced on both sides, a rear suspension spring and I need to sort out tracking.
This to me sounds like a lemon or was drove off road for the 22k miles... I drove my previous R240 for 40k and have not had anything replaced on the suspension/steering side.

If you have the My Renault app and register your car there, you'll see all warranties that apply to your vehicle.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This to me sounds like a lemon or was drove off road for the 22k miles... I drove my previous R240 for 40k and have not had anything replaced on the suspension/steering side.

If you have the My Renault app and register your car there, you'll see all warranties that apply to your vehicle.
I think that 'chocolate' drop link failure is common, so to is other steering issues. When all of this happened the advice from this site was fairly consistent as many people had these items replaced. Rear springs, I don't know.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just paid for first warranty extention. £289 online. Dealer quoted £339, I think may be price for second year on. Renault dealers seem to make numbers up sometimes.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,112 Posts

You constantly seem to reply along the lines of "didn't happen to me, you did something wrong!"

I had my drop links replaced twice. Once under warranty (when the front springs snapped on a flat road) and once by myself when I fitted some decent ones. The Zoe is fitted with the cheapest shittest drop links they can get away with (most cars are to be fair). I usually aim to replace drop links at the latest every 20k miles.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had better go out and check mine then, at 58k and they are still the original drop links. :eek:

I did have very creaky anti roll bar bushes last year though it was terrible going over speed bumps, took the drop links off, loosened the bolts for the roll bar bushes and then lubed up the bushes as much as I could working the roll bar until it was silent again. I wonder if sticking bushes was putting extra pressure on the drop links still working fine as far as I can tell.
A friend at work with a Zoe had their roll bar replaced under warranty as it was so bad.

Just a back to the OP question.
Never own an out-of-warranty Zoe. Ever.
What he said !! ;) It is why I sold my original 2013 Zoe which wasn't under the extended warranty and bought a 2015 one when I found out what was what, as it scared the hell out of me.

Simple mechanical issues like you've had are one thing that many people can sort. As soon as the electrics go wrong in any way then you'll be thankful for the warranty. I've only need to claim once for electrical issues and all they did was take the HV cables connectors apart and put them back together (to sort a dodgy connection somewhere) that would have cost me as much as the first years warranty. That was without replacing a single part ! If you add any basic mechanical stuff then it isn't really much of a gamble, more of paying an upfront cost for what is going to happen that also has the benefit of covering the REALLY expensive stuff.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does anyone have a breakdown of what each of the 'warranty' options cover? I'm having a hard time working out which items cover what...

4 + ZE and GMPe warranty

Are quite ambiguous

·
Registered
153 Posts
I can only say that the "Renault" (not Renault actually CareCarePlan) Extended warranty you get direct from Renault website is fairly comprehensive in my view.
The booklet telling you all about it is here Warranty booklet.

Obviously it doesn't cover the expected items that suffer wear and tear like brakes, tyres and the like. but it does state at the beginning of section 4
Covered items: ALL the manufacturer’s original components are covered for Mechanical or Electrical Failure with the exception of the items listed below (subject to the General Warranty Exclusions and Terms and Conditions detailed later in this handbook).
and in section 3 lists. Mechanical or Electrical Failure: The inability of a covered component to operate in accordance with the manufacturer’s specification for a reason other than wear and tear, accident or malicious damage.

So basically ANYTHING that is out of spec i.e not working in some way, is covered. Which does include lower front ball joints which was a nice surprise for me, shock gaiters are not though, they are fair wear and tear apparently.

The largest caveat to this though is that they will not pay for diagnostic time if there is no valid claim. It does get paid if they agree the claim is valid. That can be a bit of a pain, but if something has clearly failed you should be OK. I'd always suggest that if you use this warranty and the car goes in get the dealer to speak to you BEFORE they speak to the warranty company. It is all verbal to the warranty company so they could word things in a way that gives them an out. If you can agree what is going to be said beforehand then you are much less likely to have any worries. Having to deal with a service manager who is an utter moron seems to just part of life though.

Reactions: Chris P. and cah197

·
Registered
456 Posts
You constantly seem to reply along the lines of "didn't happen to me, you did something wrong!"

I had my drop links replaced twice. Once under warranty (when the front springs snapped on a flat road) and once by myself when I fitted some decent ones. The Zoe is fitted with the cheapest shittest drop links they can get away with (most cars are to be fair). I usually aim to replace drop links at the latest every 20k miles.
And you are misinterpreting my words.

I doubt any manufacturer would say "it's fine if it breaks, they'll have warranty". Almost all manufacturers aim at reducing the warranty claims, because such incidents are eating their profits; it's a business that needs to return a profit.

My point, in general, is that lemons do exist, but please don't discount driver behaviour so easily. I see a lot of people taking potholes and bumps in new cars like road-warriors, like they're driving a tank; heck, even tanks break! Just because it's under warranty doesn't mean it will not break if driven like a Defender in the woods at 30mph.

I gather that if a quarter of the Zoes on the road would have snapped springs in the warranty time-frame Renault would probably think "messieurs, pas bien". Coming from a manufacturing background, I am very much aware of the KPIs placed on engineers and designers based on warranty claims and if a component seems to cause excessive costs in warranty, it will be replaced either in the current production, if critical, or in the next production period.

But hey, whatever floats your boat, Zoe is a fake car.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,112 Posts
But hey, whatever floats your boat, Zoe is a fake car.
So again you deny that anyone can have had a fault because you haven't had any. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well my old zoe had all the major Zoe issues. It had aircon failure which resulted in 3 months of Renault replacing major components for £££, at the end it was a £120 sensor lol

then I had the drop links, front shocks, ARB and ball joints

Ive also had the water ingress due to blocked drain pipes and leaky doors.

And BMS

All sorted under warranty and extended warranty

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for this. I did purchase the warranty again.

I would also add that Sandy and others have been extremely helpful during the Zoe ownership. I still can't believe how much suspension and roll bar work I have had done in 22K miles. It does feel that Renault used parts similar to a Cleo and then dropped a weighty battery on top!

·
Registered
456 Posts
So again you deny that anyone can have had a fault because you haven't had any. 🤦‍♂️
I have not denied anything, I’m not sure what you are reading, but those were not my words at all. The words you use are far too categorical to be assumed mine.

Based on your line of thought, if you fall on ice and break an arm it is nature’s fault because it gave you such flimsy bones, it has nothing to do with you not adapting your walking style to ice. Don’t worry though, they’re fixed under warranty.

My point is that, even though there are cases where the suspension does have issues (this I never denied, as you presumptuously state), in many other cases it is because of the driving style, not because of the chosen components.

As far as I am aware, Zoe shares parts of the suspension with Megane.

·
Registered
16,724 Posts
My last Zoe was sold at 26,000 miles. Went through an MOT.

No drop link issues and suspension was always quiet.

I suspect it does depend on where and how it’s driven. Maybe even a dodgy batch of drop links.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,112 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts