Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 ZOE is in for its three year service and a couple of issues have come up. Very recently, a knocking sound started coming from the front suspension. The first thing to come up is that they need to replace the ball joints of the lower control arms (due to lots of play) under warranty. Has anyone else's car needed this?

Also, I was told that the rear left wheel is "out-of-round" - mainly on the outside shoulder. I have no idea what could cause this, what to do about it, or how concerned I should be about it. The tyre is the original Micheline EV tyre - so is three years old, probably about 6mm of tread depth left. I recently had to change the front tyres due to very uneven wear (at Easter?). The alignment was way out.

Could all these things be connected in some way?

Thanks!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,136 Posts
Not ball joints, but my drop links needing doing twice during my 5 years and 57000 miles. First time covered under warranty, second time I did the job properly myself with decent drop links. I also had both my front springs snap suddenly for no reason.
Zoe suspension is very brittle I think. Never had 2 springs snap suddenly when driving at 15mph on a flat road before.

As for the rear tyre. My rears lasted 50ish k, but had to be replaced as 1 developed a bulge and the other warped. The Energy saver tyres had loads of tread left, maybe as much as another 5-10k but were shot. They are made from very thin rubber and don't weather well in sunlight. Worth replacing them every 3 years I'd say regardless of condition.

Reactions: Kelly McLellan

·
Zoe Devotee
9,136 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
My 65 plate started knocking at about 40k...

First dealer reckoned they couldn't hear anything but re-torqued the subframe as per some internal memo. Still knocked and the 2nd dealer replaced the shocks and top mounts.... fine for a few months and then it started knocking again... they replaced the anti-roll bar and drop links. Then it started knocking again and I did the lower wishbones myself. It's under extended warranty but I couldn't be bothered to argue when they have a £99 diagnosis fee and the wishbones can be had for about £25 each. Plus I quite like doing stuff myself and had the discs and pads to do anyway.

Among other non-knocking related issues! Not bitter...

My sister-in-law had to have the lower arms done on hers for the MOT. £600 bill I think. Annoyingly she didn't ask me first. Year older but lower mileage. (The car!)

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
Yeah I had a ball joint done last year under warranty. Late 2015 model, 25k-ish miles at the time. I made sure I did my "last MOT of the manufacturer warranty" (yes I extended) at the dealer, they failed it and then they sorted it :). Saved me a lot of hassle that decision. Might do the same this year, but obviously I'm into extended warranty now and the older it gets the less likely it is to be authorised if there are more weak bits.

To balance out the crap I gave Renault in the other thread about reported ZE50 issues, I'm impressed that they tend to cover suspension components under warranty in the first place. It's right that they do as long as the mileage is reasonable as there are certain reasonable expectations of longevity, but from what I heard other manufacturers tend to just say it's a consumable system and leave it at that, whether it's right to or not.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 15 plate had the passenger side ball joint replaced at 50k.
I didn't even notice the issue until I was doing some checks on the brakes and found it was very slack.

Replaced under the extended warranty, but as I have my own limited company I did all the work myself including dealing with the warranty company so didn't need to worry about the daft "diagnostic fee". Managed to actually make money on the deal and it was still cheaper for the warranty company than letting Renault sort it.

That was all 8k miles ago, I suppose I should check the drivers side, with a little bit of luck that'll need changing. :)

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,031 Posts
My 15 plate had the passenger side ball joint replaced at 50k.
I didn't even notice the issue until I was doing some checks on the brakes and found it was very slack.

Replaced under the extended warranty, but as I have my own limited company I did all the work myself including dealing with the warranty company so didn't need to worry about the daft "diagnostic fee". Managed to actually make money on the deal and it was still cheaper for the warranty company than letting Renault sort it.

That was all 8k miles ago, I suppose I should check the drivers side, with a little bit of luck that'll need changing. :)
Isn’t it recommended to replace both at the same time?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,136 Posts
Isn’t it recommended to replace both at the same time?

Not sure, I've never replaced ball joints in pairs. Usually you wait until they start getting noisy and replace, otherwise they'll be fine. Plus dealers never do anything in pairs, they always replace single items if they can get away with it under warranty. But when its out of warranty yeah they will definitely try to get you to pay for a pair when you don't need them.

Reactions: King Ming and E7EV

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plus dealers never do anything in pairs, they always replace single items if they can get away with it under warranty. But when its out of warranty yeah they will definitely try to get you to pay for a pair when you don't need them.
That definitely sounds like a dealer...

So what do all of you think about the extended warranty? It is about £300 for one year so I didn't take it... Do you think that these are common issues with the ZOE?

That is pretty clever!

·
Zoe Devotee
9,136 Posts
I'm surprised the humdrum stuff like that is covered under the extended warranty. That said I'd expect the price to go up next year, you know what insurance companies are like.

·
Registered
935 Posts
That definitely sounds like a dealer...

So what do all of you think about the extended warranty? It is about £300 for one year so I didn't take it... Do you think that these are common issues with the ZOE?
Common on here.

And 6 months after extending my warranty I've had the inverter replaced too!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am still surprised that ball joints are covered on the extended warranty, I really expected it to be a consumable item.
I found out that shock gaiters are not covered though, which was annoying as I could have made a few hundred quid from them :) You'd think they would want to do the cheaper parts instead of waiting for the shocks to fail due to water and dust ingress.

Extended warranty is a decent insurance policy in my book. I had an electric motor failure warning last year. Renault had it for a week and even though they just took the HV cables out and put them back in it still cost £280, after some argument and the ombudsman 6 months later it was paid for under the extended warranty. From that any single electric part that is needed would make many years of extended warranty seem like a very savvy decision. I'd not buy an EV in the next decade without it having some warranty. The parts are just too expensive.

The extended warranty is pretty comprehensive, you might just have to fight to get them to pay out though.

·
Play by the king and love is all I bring
1,745 Posts
The extended warranty is pretty comprehensive, you might just have to fight to get them to pay out though.
But this is extremely disappointing and off-putting, as it means that the average Joe who doesn't like a fight / want a fight / doesn't have time to fight, who bought the extended warranty product for peace of mind, will find it useless if Renault's first response is "nope, not covered".

If you have to appeal and write to the ombudsman just to make the product work, it's a pretty poor product.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am probably making it sound worse than it was.
The ball joint was a simple yes straight away and that was after going though the odd situation of working on your own car.
The stumbling point for me on the motor failure code was just down to the Service manager at the dealer being deliberately obtuse. He worded things in such a way to make if sound like they didn't do any "work" on the car even though they did fix the problem. That info was just passed to the warranty company who really had no choice but to believe them. I've posted before about the whole saga but it comes down to the service manager at the Renault dealer in Peterborough (Smiths) really not wanting to help the customer. I'd already had a run in with him 6 months previous where he acted like a right dick, which is why I'd rather work on the car myself anyway. Just a shame they are the only Renault dealer even remotely close to me.

Also, I cannot stress enough how simple the ombudsman service is. Until that point I had never used them. If I can could tell everyone everywhere and about any issue that you can get the ombudsman then do so. It might sound like a faff but it really isn't, plus when you learn the company you are complaining about could get charged £500 whether you win or not then it makes you want to stick it to them anyway :)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,136 Posts
He worded things in such a way to make if sound like they didn't do any "work" on the car even though they did fix the problem

I had exactly the same experience on 6th June 2018 when both my front springs snapped while doing a few mph along a flat road. Front of car was almost resting on the ground, it was clear there was a massive failure of both springs. Car was recovered to dealer without any issues (aside from struggling to get it onto low loader).

When i picked the car up I asked what had been replaced. I was told 1 spring. I asked for a copy of the work for my own records, and was told no, it was warranty work. End of story.

On checking my car when I got it home it was clear it had both springs done and both drop links replaced. Seemed like the dealer had been instructed to say nothing.

Previously the same dealer was more than happy to discuss any tiny piece of work carried out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I read this thread just before I took our car in for a balljoint replacement. I hadn't thought about claiming on the warranty, as I assumed it would be 'wear and tear'. But the warranty did cover it in the end, so thanks 👍(y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts