Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo..... going for Octopus Agile and the ohme cable :)

But, what cable do I get? Home chargePoint is 16A untethered and the car is 16A Type1. Do I go for the 3-pin, as I don't have a granny, or the one that can plug into type-2? Car is no longer used for commuting but is well used for daughters swimming [re-starting shortly] which is most days plus shopping etc, where there are no free chargers.

I guess I can also shift dishwasher and washing machine to during the night too which helps. With daughters swimming commitments we can avoid the oven 4 till 7 or use gas :)

If I change car in the future to type-2 I guess I could get an electrician to change plugs? My uncle is qualified in fitting ChargePoints but lives a few hundred miles so could post it, lol.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Think how much petrol/diesel you will have saved though :)

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
562 Posts
What deal are you currently on for your bill to be bad? If you are a current Octopus customer, and you are asking for Agile and a smart meter they will put you on the tracker tariff (with potential for back dating some of it) that gets the price down quite a lot.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What deal are you currently on for your bill to be bad? If you are a current Octopus customer, and you are asking for Agile and a smart meter they will put you on the tracker tariff (with potential for back dating some of it) that gets the price down quite a lot.
EDF GoElectric Sep20v2

Electricity unit rate: 11.66p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 28.77p per day

Gas unit rate: 3.583p per kWh
Daily standing charge: 26.52p per day

Tariff End Date: 30th Sep so I can initiate a switch 49 days before, 12th Aug?

Cheers

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doing the sums... using real-life figures, even being conservative, I calculate Agile will save ~£400 a year :) I think I've settled on the type-2 ohme as I've never used a 3-pin. Roll on Aug when I can switch :)

PS Sent an email to Octopus about the smart meter and got a response an hour later this evening! Brilliant :)

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Agile is cheap but it's very hard to compare to other tariffs as it's hard to tell how much you use broken down to the half hour.
I just switched knowing that if it didn't work out I could easily switch to Go at a day or two's notice.
Once I'd seen the bills there's no way I'll be switching back. The cost per kWh has been under 5p for months and we still cook between 4 & 7 but try to avoid other usage as much as possible.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agile is cheap but it's very hard to compare to other tariffs as it's hard to tell how much you use broken down to the half hour.
I just switched knowing that if it didn't work out I could easily switch to Go at a day or two's notice.
Once I'd seen the bills there's no way I'll be switching back. The cost per kWh has been under 5p for months and we still cook between 4 & 7 but try to avoid other usage as much as possible.
Great to hear your experience :) I've based calculations on 7p kWh but hopefully lower as I can shift all the heavy hitters to the low rates, fingers crossed.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
162 Posts
With regards the Tracker V1 tariff, I think you have to actually ask for it once you've joined and been put on some standard tariff (Octopus Fixed 12m they put you on or something like that). The Tracker V1 is a Beta test tariff hence why you won't go straight onto it. but it will save you a lot if you're waiting on a smart meter install. I think my monthly DD went from £35 to £25. I've been waiting 7 months for a meter install with no end in sight due to corona (also waiting on Northern Powergrid to replace the cut-out), so it's def saved me a fair bit. Roughly the ppd is about 18p and the ppkwh is about 10p (yorkshire) or has been for the last few months

·
jim5452
144 Posts
One of the facts about AGILE is that as we are getting into summer and using less per day(now single figures) the cost goes up pKWh(8.23ppKWh) compared with winter(5.68ppKWh) due to the standing charge.
I am more than happy with the service, once you get the smart meter which can be an unavoidable problem which hopefully will improve after the backlog is cleared

·
Registered
402 Posts
I use OctoWatchdog app...for iOS I'm afraid. Very helpful data and you can export to a csv file for analysis to your heart's content.

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
336 Posts
One of the facts about AGILE is that as we are getting into summer and using less per day(now single figures) the cost goes up pKWh(8.23ppKWh) compared with winter(5.68ppKWh) due to the standing charge.
It's a good point to mention standing charges as many people forget them in their calculations. I moved from a zero standing charge tariff due to low usage and so am very aware.

Not sure about the service: my SMETS2 meter stopped sending messages 26th May and it's still not been sorted and I've come here from sending a very snotty message to them...

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's a good point to mention standing charges as many people forget them in their calculations. I moved from a zero standing charge tariff due to low usage and so am very aware.

Not sure about the service: my SMETS2 meter stopped sending messages 26th May and it's still not been sorted and I've come here from sending a very snotty message to them...
Compared to the current supplier, EDF GoElectric Sep20v2, both standing charges, and gas are much cheaper on Octopus so off to a good start :)

I think it's the same with most of these big companies, it's getting through to the right person that can help is really difficult.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ultrafast response from ohme to check if the product is compatible with an untethered 16A charge-point.

"Yes this is possible, the Ohme only charges at the max amount the charge point it is plugged into will allow."

Very happy :)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I might have missed something. What do you mean no free public charging?
Lol, yeah. The region of Scotland I live in has benefited from free charging but now charges. Both rapids and destination chargers are within walking distance.

The adjoining region still has but as but as I no longer commute that is only an occasional benefit.
So the bump in the electric bill is a new thing to me.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,627 Posts

But, what cable do I get? Home chargePoint is 16A untethered and the car is 16A Type1. Do I go for the 3-pin, as I don't have a granny, or the one that can plug into type-2? Car is no longer used for commuting but is well used for daughters swimming [re-starting shortly] which is most days plus shopping etc, where there are no free chargers.

I guess I can also shift dishwasher and washing machine to during the night too which helps. With daughters swimming commitments we can avoid the oven 4 till 7 or use gas :)

If I change car in the future to type-2 I guess I could get an electrician to change plugs? My uncle is qualified in fitting ChargePoints but lives a few hundred miles so could post it, lol.
I've mentioned it several times in My Ohme threads;-

ALWAYS get a 32A commando lead, and if you want/need 3 pin then make up a patch lead to 3 pin and ask Ohme to limit the lead to 10A.

My 32A lead is limited to 16A, and I have mounted a 32A socket to my 2.5mm^2 wire into the garage, replacing the 3pin socket that had been there.

Cost £30 for the socket, 50p for the screws, and took 20 mins to fit.

The lead cost £199 because I am an Octopus customer, as you can be too .. but ONLY if you use MY link in my signature! ;) If you use anyone else's link then you only become a 'sort-of' Octopus customer. OK, so you will get all the benefits and whatnot, and it'll look like your an Octopus customer, but you'll always have a doubt that you might not be a 'real' customer unless you use my referral link.

(Do you think I sold that one to him!? ;) )

·
Registered
234 Posts

Lots of free chargers at Tesco's now

1 - 20 of 58 Posts