Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the my 14 plate 24kwh leaf for 3 years.
After a free service, a cheap service and one at the more expensive prices I decided to skip an official service and get my friend to do it.
He really struggled to remove the filter and although an official Nissan one its not like anything in any off the videos or photos I've seen.
It is a grey charcoal filter, my mech mate said it was more expensive.
It has what appears to be a manufactering stamp date off 13212 21:26
I believe that's
Day 1(monday)
Week 32
Year 12

So a) in 2019 sombody put a very expensive filter that had sat on the shelf for 7 years.
Or b) this is the filter Nissan installed on manufacter and has never been changed.

Now if its b, then I'm being totally ripped off from my 209 quid

·
Registered
866 Posts
I had this with the air filter on my 2006 new bought citroen. I had it serviced every two years, and the oil changed every year, until in 2016 I noticed it hesitating. I bought all the parts to service it myself, and sure enough the filter was the original from 2006. Garages, eh?

·
Registered
16,816 Posts
A friend of mine always used to mark the spark plugs and filter with pink nail polish.

Guess what happened when he found pink nail polish on the ‘new’ spark plugs after a service?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,922 Posts
Report to Nissan and also trading standards. It's fraudulent to charge for work that's not been carried out.

What else are they failing to do eg check brakes and tyres?

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
700 Posts
Not sure if it's still in practice but Garages have been know to use bonus pay systems ( if they get a 2hr job done in 1hr they get an hour's bonus pay ) this encourages dodgy technicians to cut corners to get jobs done quicker..
Also heard of technicians booking out parts & then taking em home to do a mates car at the weekend instead of fitting them to customers car at dealership... I've had quite a few customers who get me to check over there latest purchase only to find dirty filters that obviously haven't been changed for yrs dispite having full service history documentation ?

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I'm not here to defend franchise garages, but Nissan changed from a "plain" beige coloured filter to the "enhanced" grey filter at some point. In my experience after a years use there is a considerable amount of dirt and muck in the cabin filter such that if you remove the filter it tips out into the footwell and some remains on the filter. Was that the case with yours?
The case for the prosecution is that it's not the easiest filter to change so there must be a temptation to cut corners. The filter also fits the Juke so there is plenty of potential for "homers".

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd not be so pissed but bar the warranty and the aa service the filter is pretty much all I'm paying for.

·
Registered
Leaf e+ 62kwh https://share.octopus.energy/quiet-puma-274
700 Posts
Most main stealers seem to of introduced a fixed price menu system which they hide behind... When I checked the dash cam footage after I had an i3 service done a couple of yrs ago it took them 1 hour from start to finish including a test drive... Parts were some brake fluid & a pollen filter, total cost £250 ( was £300 before I negotiated price down ) Parts were around £80, so that makes £170 for an hrs labour which is criminal as the hourly rate at the time was £100 ?..

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would imagine dealers simply have a target of at least £200 clear profit per punter, and many ain't too fussed how that's achieved :(
In the 2 years we've had our leaf I have done all the maintenance and MOT prep, I keep all the receipts for materials and will be open and honest to whoever we sell it on to. It's really only needed front pads, a couple of drop links and tyres.
Will likely do the brake fluid in the spring although its only showing slight moisture content according to my tester.

You're mostly paying for the smiling receptionist and 'free' coffee at the main agents, I'd rather give the money saved to a deserving charity quite frankly.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, just discovered a hydrometer costs under £10er.
WHAT DID I PAY FOR.?!
My mate is totally getting my business from now on.

Reactions: Davy EV leaf
1 - 12 of 12 Posts