Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
There was no "Range anxiety" until GM coined the phrase after they crushed all the EV1's, just people like QW/JC pushing the range to the limit for laughs. At least QW made a valid point at the end comparing them to mobile phones.
Have you seen the film "Who killed the electric car?" ?
It's a bit "conspiracy theory" but a lot of the arguments stand up...

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its interesting that they had a "100 mile" range car back then on lead acid batteries.. and the co-efficient of a jet fighter!
I've seen "Who killed the electric car" and "Revenge of the electric car" both interesting films with the latter offering more hope for the future!
Essentially the car manufacturers ARE invested now and not just because of a overturn-able California law, because of much more!

·
Registered
754 Posts
There was no "Range anxiety" until GM coined the phrase after they crushed all the EV1's, just people like QW/JC pushing the range to the limit for laughs. At least QW made a valid point at the end comparing them to mobile phones.
Have you seen the film "Who killed the electric car?" ?
It's a bit "conspiracy theory" but a lot of the arguments stand up...
Well perhaps not the exact Range Anxiety term but "paronia about battery life..stress of running out of juice" etc sounds very similar. Also claims of 101 mile range not being achievable by driver sounds familiar. His reluctance to turn on Air Conditioning in heat also had resonance with me - I did that run from LA to Las Vegas up through the desert a few years ago in an ICE. Having rejected an expensive "more suitable" upgrade I wasn't convinced the smaller motor would make it up a steep incline with AC draining power so switched it off to family's annoyance.

Yes seen both films and arranged public showing of them at this EV event earlier this year.
http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/15085-NHS?p=59161&viewfull=1#post59161

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Before Chargemaster announced their new prices I thought an EV meet up in Milton Keynes with private showing of those at the "old" Point cinema would be great.

But then they announced their pricing and it seemed a bit steep! :(

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
Its interesting that they had a "100 mile" range car back then on lead acid batteries.. and the co-efficient of a jet fighter!
I've seen "Who killed the electric car" and "Revenge of the electric car" both interesting films with the latter offering more hope for the future!
Essentially the car manufacturers ARE invested now and not just because of a overturn-able California law, because of much more!
Indeed.The EV1 had ~500kgs of nimh pack, with 500kgs of lithium it'd have a range of about 500 miles....!

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
?..with 500kgs of lithium it'd have a range of about 500 miles....!
You wouldn't want to take it in the rain, but it would be an extremely calm and unemotional driving experience

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
:rolleyes: Very good
Ayyyyy thangyouuu

I suspect the EV1 was missing all the other things that has made cars much heavier (type for type) in the last 20 years. The Active E had 400kg of Lithium batteries (32 kWh), tipped the scales at 1800kg, and got a solid 100 mile range in temperate weather. Batteries are still at the kg per kWh point that adding more kWh blunts m/kWh significantly.

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
I don't know, it had a fibreglass body and aluminium frame, but more importantly cD of 0.19 and a small frontal area. It went 160 miles on 26kwh of nimh weighing 500kgs. Tesla get 85kwh from 500 kg of lithium, so 500 miles seems a reasonable ballpark!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I don't know, it had a fibreglass body and aluminium frame, but more importantly cD of 0.19 and a small frontal area. It went 160 miles on 26kwh of nimh weighing 500kgs. Tesla get 85kwh from 500 kg of lithium, so 500 miles seems a reasonable ballpark!
Oh, I was agreeing with you. The Active E had to get even heavier as a result of getting heavier. I'm sure 85kWh in an i3 would be up there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts