Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking about this on FB so I'm posting it here while the idea is fresh in my mind.

There's so much wasted space, they could easily have fitted water cooling in there, with an external radiator behind the front air scoop.

Maybe someone will do a retrofit. It can't be a huge amount of money to do, just look at computer water cooling kit prices.

Let's Take A look Inside The Nissan LEAF 40-kWh Battery

Maybe someone (Nissan approved engineer?) can get Nissan to approve it, and it gets fitted by Nissan qualified engineers? It might double the price, but shouldn't cost more than £500 for the parts.

The not very technical solution. I would start with something like this:

1000 l/h 12v pump
EK Water Blocks EK-DDC 3.2 PWM (PWM 12V Pump) [WAEK-791] from WCUK Online

https://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Black-Ice-Nemesis-GTX-480-Radiator-Black_44940.html

One or two of these
Refrigeration Copper Tubing, 1/8" x 50' https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000M2SQ98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HmTDBbGBZDMER

Make the copper tubing into a heatsink for front and back of the cells. A 1mm aluminium sheet between tubing and cells, lots of thermal grease between tubing and aluminium sheet. Radiatior behind the front scoop.

The idea being to cool the battery enough whilst driving so that the thermal throttling doesn't happen on multiple fast charges in a day.

There is still the option to add 12v computer cooling fans to the radiator, so that when charging the battery is cooled.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am in no way agreeing with attempting this but I would advise the following:

Use car parts rather than computer parts. Car radiators (main or intercooler) and plumbing are designed for use in the environment you're going to fit them. They are also not that expensive (especially from a scrap yard).

But really, the best thing would be to use a battery from an env-200 40kwh and modify the env-200 cooler equipment to fit the leaf. It would be a non-trivial bit of engineering that a custom EV workshop could handle.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice idea but where would you fit a car radiator, they are pretty big. Also you have 2" pipes for the radiator when you'll only have very thin pipes coming from the battery due to the limited space inside the case around the cells, so going from say 1/8" to 2" pipe isn't going to work, as a pump for 1/8" wouln't get circulation due to the volume of water, and a 2" pump would burn out with the strain of trying to suck gallons of water through a 1/8" tube.

The basic computer water cooling systems can remove 3kW of heat for not much money, or you can go higher and remove a lot more heat. They are way more efficient than an ICE cooling system, they have to be for the overclocking they are used for, whereas ICE system only needs to remove enough heat to keep the engine at it's optimum temperature, which is quite hot. The radiator I've picked would fit very nicely behind the front scoop, where it would get a lot of air. The fans you can buy for computer cooling can shift a lot of air, if the system needed that when on charge, they can be bolted to the back of the radiator.

The idea was just put forward for someone to try, preferably a Nissan certified engineer. If it works OK then said Nissan engineer could get it approved by Nissan as a retrofit (I'm sure they would be very happy to clear up rapidgate by letting a 3rd party retrofit the batteries with cooling). Buy parts for max £300 to £500, take 2 hours to do the retrofit, charge £1000, Leaf owner is happy, it's easy money.

The idea rules out getting used eNV-200 batteries, as you might find one, but you won't find enough for all the 40kW Leafs out there.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
To be honest instead of water I'd be tempted to use oil, a cheap multi grade engine oil would do the job and remove heat but also be non conductive.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a bad idea, although with 1/8" copper tubing you could do both sides of the cells in one run, with no joins, so the only joins in the piping would be outside the casing.

Which has the best heat conduction, water or oil? Water 0.609 W/m K, Engine oil 0.145 W/m K, so it looks like water is 4.2x better at coducting heat.
Thermal Conductivities for some common Liquids

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DrDave, it's a big thing for Nissan, as some people have been cancelling orders or not buying. If there was a cheap solution, especially one approved by Nissan, maybe the whole thing would blow over, but for now people have been saying they'll buy the Kona instead, or wait for the 60kW Leaf. A Nissan engineer making this work and getting Nissan to approve it, that would go a long way with Nissan and would add a lot to his/her C.V.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I still think that if anyone is desperate to drive 400 miles in as short a time as possible then they should hire a mile munching diesel repmobile and be done with it. If they find it necessary to spend ten such day hire fees on adapting an EV to do that - which may or may not work - then they doubly need to have word with themselves.

Having said that, it may be an interesting exercise to attempt to cool a battery in transit using airflow. A much simpler method may be to fix a false floor stood off from the actual floor by an inch or so leaving an air gap. If that false floor was louvred full width and along its length to direct air into that gap then the turbulence in there would take away more heat than its original smooth surface. It would obviously increase air resistance and badly affect range, much like driving with a roof-rack would, but if the aim is really to achieve multiple Rapid charges without throttling it might have some effect.

A cheap and easily retrofitted solution that can just as easily be removed if it didn't work as planned.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,349 Posts
I was talking about this on FB so I'm posting it here while the idea is fresh in my mind.

There's so much wasted space, they could easily have fitted water cooling in there, with an external radiator behind the front air scoop.

Maybe someone will do a retrofit. It can't be a huge amount of money to do, just look at computer water cooling kit prices.

Maybe someone (Nissan approved engineer?) can get Nissan to approve it, and it gets fitted by Nissan qualified engineers? It might double the price, but shouldn't cost more than £500 for the parts.

1000 l/h 12v pump

Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 Radiator - Black [HWL-R128] from WCUK Online

One or two of these
Refrigeration Copper Tubing, 1/8" x 50' https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000M2SQ98/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HmTDBbGBZDMER

Make the copper tubing into a heatsink for front and back of the cells. A 1mm aluminium sheet between tubing and cells, lots of thermal grease between tubing and aluminium sheet. Radiatior behind the front scoop.

The idea being to cool the battery enough whilst driving so that the thermal throttling doesn't happen on multiple fast charges in a day.

There is still the option to add 12v computer cooling fans to the radiator, so that when charging the battery is cooled.
No need for pipes. Just drill two pipe unions either side of the pack and fill the whole battery compartment up with water, and pump it through. What could go wrong?

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
No need for pipes. Just drill two pipe unions either side of the pack and fill the whole battery compartment up with water, and pump it through. What could go wrong?
Always trying to solve problems the hard way.

Merely fill the boot with ice, then when you get to the charger, empty it all across the parking space and then drive onto it.

Like this:

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,349 Posts
Always trying to solve problems the hard way.

Merely fill the boot with ice, then when you get to the charger, empty it all across the parking space and then drive onto it.

Like this:
I like the logic, but can see one or two little practical issues that might reduce one's success.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
I like the logic, but can see one or two little practical issues that might reduce one's success.
I know what you’re thinking. You might run out of ice.

Well simply buy one of these to generate all the ice you could need:

·
Registered
848 Posts

1000 l/h 12v pump

Black Ice Nemesis GTX 480 Radiator - Black [HWL-R128] from WCUK Online

One or two of these

Lots of ideas on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=water+cooled+ev+battery

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good way to knock £10k off the value of your car.

Not sure who’s going to ever buy a Leaf that’s been hacked about and voided any warranty.

Sell it and get a Zoe. ;)
Yoo weren't paying attention! I said the Nissan Engineer designing and building it would GET IT APPROVED BY NISSAN!!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Sell & buy the next Leaf with thermal cooling....... if they can get hold of batteries..... which Hyundai et al don't seem to be able to do....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts