Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kona premium SE
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last two weeks ive noticed that when it has rained and i open the doors (only noticed on driver side but ive not lookd on passenger) at the bottom on the door on the door seal between the rubber seal and the outside there is a small puddle that then drains out as the door is opened.

has anyone else seen this / have a fix ?

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
I have read in here about such a thing. I seem to recall that it was the cause of electrical issues as it caused the system to not report to the car that the door was closed. That, in turn, caused the car to remain 'awake' and that caused the 12v DC battery to be discharged overnight and the car failed to start next day. In fact it locked the owner out completely as the proximity key couldn't make contact with the car. I would get to a dealer to resolve this before such events happen.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
549 Posts
I had the problem on my Ioniq where I came to the car one morning after a rainy night to find the car dead/unresponsive. The passenger side doors were both unlocked although closed, however the drivers side doors were both locked, also the door mirrors were unfolded. The car had definitely been locked overnight. The 12 volt was down to somewhere around 6 volts and essentially dead. Water had got into the doors and onto non waterproofed electrical contacts causing the car to stay awake overnight, and seemingly unlocking the passenger doors and draining the 12 volt. Luckily an error code had registered which 'allowed' the dealer to investigate the doors and find the cause. However because the drivers side had not registered any errors these weren't looked at. So far the car has been ok since the fix but I would much prefer the drivers side doors to be checked.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This was a problem that bugged me for the two years that I had my Kona. My driveway is on a slope, so every day it rained or I washed the car, water would collect in all of the doors, dribbling out when you opened them. The rubber seal on the outside of the window did not even touch the glass, so first thing in the morning when the window was covered in condensation if you tried putting the window down and up to clear it, nothing would happen . Hyundai say that the inside of the doors are well waterproofed, but 8 or 10 years down the line will there be rust?
I was never able to solve this issue, I did report it to the garage on a service but nothing was done.
Thankfully my M3 doesn't have this same issue

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
549 Posts
Thanks for posting. Interesting to see the phrase 'Underneath, the electrical connection is shrouded by a skirt that won't let water get anywhere near the connector pins", which my Hyundai mechanic said was not the case on the Ioniq although he had seen shrouds/protection on other makes and models. It was specifically the connector pins on mine that had water bridging across them apparently.

·
Registered
2020 Kona premium SE
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive done a bit of digging and it appears that this has been seen in Hyundais for a long time! (I found a post about it back in 2005 over on the Hyundai forums)
Its just water Ingressing the door, probably through the window seal (when closed the seal dose seal against the glass but heavy rain or washing can put water though) and then draining out the doors drain holes that are between the two door seals in the door jamb which pools there untill the door is opened.

I wonder if there is something i could do to let it drain out of the jamb without compromising the exterior seal too much.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Ive done a bit of digging and it appears that this has been seen in Hyundais for a long time! (I found a post about it back in 2005 over on the Hyundai forums)
Several people on the forum for the Jeep Renegade (my previous car) reported the same thing. It's not just an Hyundai thing.

I wonder if there is something i could do to let it drain out of the jamb without compromising the exterior seal too much.
You could cut a small V in it at the lowest point, as parked on your drive. But if it lets water out it won't be a seal any more.
I think the main reason for having dual seals is for noise rather than water ingress. Exterior noise is probably pretty high down there near the tyre/road interface and probably with turbulent airflow behind the wheel arch, so you might find that is the main downside.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
For what it's worth, if it does happen, you can always use the physical car - it pops out of the fob if you slide the tiny switch at the end and pull the silver bit out. You can then get into the car to pop the bonnet and stick any 12V jumpstarter on the battery. Done this half a dozen times now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts