Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all had a lot of rain recently and I have noticed a lot of water coming out of the tailgate when I open the boot.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Well I have noticed a fair bit of dripping from the tailgate when I open it but I've always assumed it was water running off it, not *out* of it. I'll look next time I open it...I think we can safely say it will rain tomorrow! Where on the tailgate is water running out of on yours Paul?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you could be right I suppose. There was so much of it that I have assume that it couldn't just be from outside. There was just too much of it to be just surface water IMO but I could be wrong.

I shall take a closer look tomorrow morning but I think it is running out of the drain holes in the rubber (silicone) seal on one of the sides.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't have near the rain here in Colorado you do in the UK but the pattern of dripping when we do have it pretty much stays in the channels on either side of the hatch. This includes melting snow which we do have. Wind will alter this dynamic of coarse. I also haven't encountered the fogging of the tail lights even in wet weather so perhaps that was an early production issue.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water has been pouring out of the tailgate as before but today I noticed that the whole the water pours out of is a whole that should have a rubber bung in it.

So, not only is lots of water getting inside the tailgate but I have a rubber stopper missing.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
Water has been pouring out of the tailgate as before but today I noticed that the whole the water pours out of is a whole that should have a rubber bung in it.

So, not only is lots of water getting inside the tailgate but I have a rubber stopper missing.
Paul, can you indicate exactly where the hole you mention is (photo perhaps?) I'd like to check mine...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Photo removed from Flickr... my fault - sorry. If anyone wants to see it I will upload again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Both holes have rubber grommets fitted on my Ampera. Will take care when cleaning not to pull out these grommets.
Did lose a similar grommet on the underside of one door, Motorbodies kindly replaced it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah thanks. I honestly can't remember if we ever had a gommet in that hole from new. We might have I suppose... it isn't something I would have looked for :)

That is the hole where all the water pours out from anyway. With the gommet in I wonder how the water would get out?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Good point Paul, it's a bit worrying. I just looked at my tailgate with a torch(just got home) and I don't seem to have a hole or a grommet in that position! But I will look again in daylight tomorrow. Wonder if there have been some detail design changes here to stop water getting into the tailgate in later cars like mine, and that the dealer has 'fixed' yours by removing the grommet?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hopbackguy... you could well be right!

I shall call them next week and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Just looked at my car again Paul and realised what the hole in your photo is! You're missing the rubber bump stop which fits in this hole to cushion the tailgate closure, you've got the one on the other side but this one has got lost somewhere. That being said, I'm not clear why you should have water coming out of it.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
taylorgx said:
Suppose you could open the tailgate pour water in the hole and see where it comes out at the other end!

Gary
That's not going to work though as the tailgate is all up from that hole. Unless he used a hosepipe, that might work.

My guess is that they've missed some other rubber seals off higher up as well.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Ampera was registered in April 2012 and the underneath of the tailgate looks nothing like the photo. There is a hole without a grommet but no evidence of water leakage.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We seem to have slightly different tailgate 'undersides' depending when the car was registered :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hopbackguy said:
We seem to have slightly different tailgate 'undersides' depending when the car was registered :)
Surely not?

Of course, this is possible but it is very unlikely isn't it? I can't imagine vauxhall redesigning the tailgate in any significant way so early in production unless it was in response to a recall or something serious and we would have heared of that I am sure.

But I could be wrong! :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Car is booked in to the dealer for next week to fix the rear door lock button (not working) and to investigate the water in the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Paul Churchley said:
Car is booked in to the dealer for next week to fix the rear door lock button (not working) and to investigate the water in the tailgate.
Will be interested to hear the verdict Paul.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts