Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to wash the car for the first time in over a month - yes, it has been that long since it was dry enough for long enough to do that properly!.

Checking all the seal areas first, opened all the doors and cleaned around there. Nothing too awful, no unusual dirt traps but hey, the back door seals (at the top of the door) are crap. I don't understand why they are so bad, I've come from a load of Audis and Porsches - and before that Golfs, and I cannot recall such badly designed door seals. It's as if they are designed to channel water in or onto the metal door frame, so that when you open the door it dribbles in, rather than keep it out. Comments please.

Moving to the back I opened the hatch and was deluged by water coming out of the plastic trim areas into the boot and the parcel shelf. Pulled the panels for the lights and water poured out, pulled the lower panel and more, along with the jolly sound of sloshing water lying in the door. Question is, would this be simple condensation, however unlikely? Anyone else had this problem?

(Just thought - need to find the drain holes if there are any.)

I guess it's a trip to the stealer which I was hoping to avoid until the first service, which is a long way away for now.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I’ve never really had an issue and like @MrPaulus have mine pressure washed regularly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It did it again! Opened the hatch and loads of water poured out all over the tray and into the boot.
I haven't been able to pressure wash since the first entry so that's not the problem.
I checked the single drain hole and it appears clear.
If it's not the rear washer - there's no sign of soapy stuff - I can only think its the light cluster, and possibly on the nearside as that appears to be where all the water is coming from. Probably whip it off for a look see before condemning myself to a trip to the dealer.

The thing is, I've had the hatch open a good few times recently and not noticed the problem, nor has it been particularly wet (for a change) just very cold. Condensation was a thought but that wouldn't create so much water.

So it's an open case, again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts