Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm collecting my E-Golf on Saturday, initially I will charge at a local public charger until I can get a home charger fitted in a couple of weeks. I was thinking it would be a good idea to leave the car plugged in to the granny cable overnight, not for charging but to allow it to pre-heat without depleting the battery before I leave for work in the morning. Given the weather up in the northern part of the country it will be essential to warm the car up, but it also occurs to me that as the car will be outside on the drive that the charger might not be sufficiently waterproof to resist Scottish levels of rain and snow?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,838 Posts
It’ll be fine, I left mine outside on the GTE for a couple of years, and it didn’t miss a beat.

I’m still using my old e-Golf unit now with the ID.3 when I’m away.

Will it be plugged into a suitable outdoor weatherproof socket?

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that's good to know. Yes, suitable socket is available, so no issues there.

Two more sleeps :)

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I'm collecting my E-Golf on Saturday, initially I will charge at a local public charger until I can get a home charger fitted in a couple of weeks. I was thinking it would be a good idea to leave the car plugged in to the granny cable overnight, not for charging but to allow it to pre-heat without depleting the battery before I leave for work in the morning. Given the weather up in the northern part of the country it will be essential to warm the car up, but it also occurs to me that as the car will be outside on the drive that the charger might not be sufficiently waterproof to resist Scottish levels of rain and snow?
Put it on a brick with a large inverted bucket over the top

·
Registered
EGolf
117 Posts
I collected mine last Sunday, the control box on the charger is rubberised and very waterproof so don’t worry about that.

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You’re not wrong, it’s a substantial bit of kit!

78 miles today after collecting the Golf, car is smooth as silk, didn’t cost a penny to run (just filled up with free electricity from the public charger while I walked the dogs), and no polar bears were inconvenienced. Absolutely loving the EV / e-Golf experience so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts